21 replies to this topic

#1 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:13 PM

I believe this deserves it's own thread.

Klein will apparently be replaced by HLN's Ken Jautz.

The unconfirmed report first came on FTVLive.com, but you need to be a subscriber to read the full story, so I'm posting a link from Spud's blog, which has some first details.

http://insidecablene...autz-in-at-cnn/

UPDATE: Ok, now it's official http://www.cnn.com/2...gement.changes/

Edited by newser, 24 September 2010 - 02:23 PM.

#2 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:37 PM

Here's to what hopefully will be a new dawn for CNN.

#3 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:26 PM

Awesome. No maybe with him gone they'll do something about AC360.

#4 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:36 PM

According to the New York Times, Klein was indeed fired and is not leaving on his own whim: http://mediadecoder....n-to-leave-cnn/

Since most of us here have lamented over the way HLN has been forever scarred (some would say destroyed) by Ken Jautz, I'm not celebrating his succession to the CNN throne. I think Klein had to go, but they've brought Jautz over to make some massive changes, I'm sure of it. Don't be surprised if we see a bigger version of HLN's tabloid fixation over time. *Sigh*

#5 Nelly

Nelly

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:04 PM

Woah, this is a big development. I agree in some way with you Riceo. It's obvious that we will see some changes eventually. I mean, you don't fire the guy running the network if you're not wanting to see things change, but it wouldn't be in their interests to cannibalize HLN by going more tabloid on CNN. I'll be interested to see what the next few months brings.
"The one function TV news performs very well is that when there is no news we give it to you with the same emphasis as if there were." (David Brinkley)

#6 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:15 PM

It's interesting that they've gone the same path as CNNI by naming Jautz "Executive Vice President" instead of "President". I wonder if it is a corporate Turner thing.

Meanwhile, I'll be interested to see who they eventually pick to become managing editor. That appointment is going to have a bigger impact on the network than Klein's exit, IMHO.

#7 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:42 PM

Interesting but it doesn't look promising.

When will the replace the boss of CNNI??? Is this that Katherine Green person or someone else??
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#8 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:09 PM

I think it's Tony Maddox

#9 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:11 PM

I'm out of town, but this is big news. I always thought Klein was a nice guy and that he turned the network around five years ago, but he hasn't done anything since then, and all of his recent ideas have been terrible.

I'm not too thrilled about Jautz. I suppose he may be willing to try new things, but I hope he acts differently than the way he did with HLN.

GF, Tony Maddox is the president of CNNI while Katherine Green is the president of programming (or something like that— I can't remember the exact phrasing).

#10 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:55 PM

I know we are judging Jautz mostly by what he did with HLN, but again, he's been in so many different non-tabloid TV news projects that it doesn't have to mean (and IMHO it probably won't) CNN will be "HLN-ized".

Since he can't do much about 8 and 9pm at the moment, I believe his first moves will have something to do with American Morning, which has lost a lot of audience and episodes like the most recent one with John Roberts and Kiran Chetry don't help the show much.

The next move will have to be fixing or cancelling John King USA, because there's no way for Parker Spitzer to succeed if nobody watches the 7 pm show. And if Parker Spitzer has a ratings problem, Piers Morgan and AC are only the next links in chain.

Edited by newser, 24 September 2010 - 10:56 PM.

#11 Shinta

Shinta

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:53 AM

Shouldn't this have happened months ago before CNN extended his contract? Now they have to pay out dead money on the rest of his contract. That seems to suggest that it was a recent decision to dump Klein.

Interesting times ahead!

#12 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:24 AM

But in the business and ratings world, Jautz turned HLN from a minor player in the 4th/5th place to where its currently stands. Which is a HUGE advancement.

Okay, positive things and changes he will be remembered for during his tenure-
1) Making Anderson Cooper a household name in US
2) Fareed Zakaria GPS
3) CNN's powerhouse grip on political stories
4) Powerful documentaries/ SIU reports
5) Lou Dobbs farewell

Anyone care to lay out his negative impacts?

Edited by Junk Junk., 25 September 2010 - 01:40 PM.

#13 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

Just some examples I can come up with before my morning coffee.

Taking CNN to its lowest ratings in years
Overexposing Anderson Cooper
John King, USA - dead on arrival
Replacing Larry King with Piers Morgan
Campbell Brown
Firing Miles O'Brien
Dismantling CNN's Science, Space and Tech Unit
DL Hughley
Dismantling CNN Pipeline
Social media saturation
Firing Heidi Collins
Publicly undermining Aaron Brown; resulting in his leaving the network

#14 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:06 PM

Laz, how could you forget Rick Sanchez?

#15 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:00 PM

From the NYT:
"In a separate message, Mr. Klein said, “the CNN I’m leaving today is demonstrably stronger than the one I inherited almost six years ago — both editorially and financially.” He said some reporters, like Anderson Cooper, Soledad O’Brien and Dr. Sanjay Gupta, had been transformed “into global news superstars during my time here.”" NYT

Global news superstars?? :vomit:

Too bad he couldn't have made them into journalists like a news channel should have. (Well, at least Cooooper nad Guppy.)

#16 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:59 AM

I was always under the impression that Jamie McIntyre left on his own will, but it seems that was not the case:

Full disclosure: I left CNN in December of 2008, after Jon Klein and I “could not agree on a future role for me.” Translation: I wanted one, and Klein didn’t want to give me one.

Jamie's thoughts on Klein's firing is here: http://www.lineofdep...ortunes-of-cnn/

#17 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:33 AM

I think Jon Klein had plenty of opportunities to return CNN to the top and in some aspects he did good work. The tsunami coverage is one thing that comes to mind. Also the election night coverage was the highest ratings CNN had seen. But you have to be consistent with your successes. I hope the new guy enters the new job with passion and determination to achieve the success CNN's hard working journalists deserve.

#18 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:49 PM

Glad Jon Klein got fired. They should've done that as soon as the network went downhill.

I would be cautious about Ken Jautz, though. He did good at HLN, but let's see if he can either reverse Klein's ideas or turn it back to where CNN should be... on the news.
http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#19 madaboutpenny

madaboutpenny

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:31 PM

The hiring of Ken Jautz could be a good thing for CNN. I think it's a mistake to simply say that he made HLN more tabloid. I think he understands the need for differentiation. He saw there was a niche to be filled at HLN, and he filled it rather successfully. As long as the central mission of CNN remains the news, then he may actually be the one to turn things around. Then again, his primetime hands have already been tied by Klein.

And let's not forget, this is the same guy who gave Glenn Beck a face...

#20 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:10 AM

One thing that hasn't really been discussed in the analysis and commentary of Klein's firing is the way he let the future of one of, if not the, biggest names at the network flap around in the wind for months. The weak shooting down of reports of talks with Piers Morgan and Larry King's future is not the way you'd expect the head of a network behave.

When you're at the top, you've got to support your network and staff publicly and as fiercely as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if Walton just got a sick of the way Klein had handled the whole affair. It wouldn't have been the only thing that got him the boot, but I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that it was a big contributing factor in Walton's decision.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users