Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:19 AM

From the Asia Pacific site:

Connect the World

Connect the World will join the dots of stories and events by exploring how an event or circumstance in one part of the world can have significant impact and reach elsewhere.

It's the connections - or links - that matter.

During this hour, CNN will spin the globe around each story; diving into its past, looking to its future, and highlighting the people, places and problems that inform it. Consider the recent attacks in Mumbai: In this case Connects would explore the ramifications felt in Pakistan, Israel and the UK, the intervention and condemnation of the world's political community, the history of unrest within India, and the long-term global consequences of the attack. Guided by our Field Intelligence, Connects will journey into the multidimensional character of global events.

Field Intelligence:

- Content commissioned from the best of CNN's International Newsgathering.

- Sharp analysis from the Connections Crew, a cast of regular contributors who are experts in their fields, whether it be finance, geopolitics, specific regions or otherwise.

- Compelling interviews.

- Dynamic films, cyber dialogue and cutting edge graphics.

Presented from London and sometimes from the road, Connect the World takes viewers on a sweeping journey across continents, beyond headlines, and into the histories, possibilities, and depths of the stories that are changing our world today. Connect the World is intelligent viewing for the internationalist in an interdependent world.

It starts April 20th and airs right before BackStory. But who is the presenter?

iDesk is listed twice (at its normal time and after Quest), so I'm assuming the latter is a placeholder for something else. Everything else looks the same.

#2 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:23 AM

^^ Sounds like the description, in part, that we had for Becky's new show.

New CNNi shows to be coming out late Jan next year:

The following will be the lead anchors for the new shows...

Richard Quest: The new lead Business anchor
Becky Anderson: Show linking stories across the world
Fionnula Sweeney: Focussing on one on one interviews and world news
Christiane Amanpour: Show based on forums and round tables with world leaders and high brow interviewees.

There will be new fonts and graphics but the changes will come in slowly to make sure the audience is integrated into the new look rather than experience a quick, stark change.

Pad.

#3 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:24 AM

Whomever is hosting it, one thing is certain that World News Europe's days are numbered, and I would guess that World News Asia's are as well. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if everything is being rebranded.

#4 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:39 AM

"Consider the recent attacks in Mumbai: In this case Connects would explore the ramifications felt in Pakistan, Israel and the UK, the intervention and condemnation of the world's political community, the history of unrest within India, and the long-term global consequences of the attack. Guided by our Field Intelligence, Connects will journey into the multidimensional character of global events."

Isn't that what they do anyway? I saw all that in the Mumbai coverage.

I just love their purple prose.

#5 Arrapare

Arrapare

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:16 AM

i must admit that I am looking forward to this show. Becky is one of my favourite people on cnni! :-)
My forum friends on twitter:
yazmanian_devil morpium Leroy greekdude ginnyfan peramirez dezbee2008 goursote Spitfire
My CNN friends on twitter:
Jennifer delgado Kristie Lu Stout Jim clancy Rosemary Church Kyra Philips Mark McKay Errol Barnett Backstory
http://www.twitter.com/arrapare

#6 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:06 AM

I think we all knew it, but this schedule from Turner confirms it.

(click to enlarge)

#7 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:46 AM

^^^

I knew CNNI's weekend schedule was pretty bad, but four-year-old reruns of CNN Today? ;-)

#8 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:18 AM

Which show is it replacing? World News Europe?

#9 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:45 AM

Yes. iDesk is listed as filling the first hour of WNE's slot, but I think that might be more of a placeholder than anything.

#10 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

Charles I don't think so. Why would they write IDesk when WNE is in that slot and if Finn's new show is not ready yet then it's logical to just write WNE cause it will be there till the new show starts. :?: :D
Maybe Finn will do it from London, they removed the chairs and the platforms so they have a lot more space. Maybe they can use the London set in the same way as Atlanta.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#11 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

Hmmm I' going with ginnyfan here. IDESK as a placeholder would be a rather peculiar conception. However I'm not sure whether the London studio has the capabilities to do a show like IDSK or not. I like the idea of three IDESK-editions (one from Atlanta, one from London and one from Hong Kong) but you would certainly need a fancy studio with various plasmas and video walls to make a show like that possible and we've not seen any significant changes in the London studios within the last few weeks... I'm afraid it probably might end up with Fin anchoring sort of riveted at the newsdesk in London whereas graphics, pictures etc coming from the videowall at CNN Center just like during Hala’s hour (would be pretty boring imo).

#12 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:24 PM

I think they actually can do it if they could move out the desk. Then they could add 3 plasma screens on the flat boring wall. They put a small platform in front of the newswall and Finn starts the show at the place where that plasma screen used to be.
Now the problem is that they couldn't make the set ready in just 3,4 minutes of adds after QMB so my theory is not possible. :-(
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#13 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:51 PM

Perhaps it really is a second hour of iDesk, but if it's going to be presented by Hala in Atlanta, I don't think it's a good idea. If CNN does want to extend iDesk, I would think they would put the two hours back-to-back (the hour after iDesk is a bit empty anyway.) SitRoom didn't feel right when it was segmented, and I wouldn't think iDesk would, either.

It is a possibility that Finn could present a new edition of iDesk from London, but iDesk doesn't fit the description of her program that Padstein provided us, which was an interview-style program if I remember right.

#14 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:11 PM

I would prefer if they would just leave WNE in that slot, it's been a prime time news program for a decade and Finn's been there since the beginning. Also with all the new shows with special concepts it's nice to have just a regular news bulletin in traditional presentation.

#15 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:44 PM

Back to Becky's show, I wonder what the color scheme will be?

Idesk is blue and green. Quest Means Business is blue. BackStory is maroon. Any ideas / suggestions for you what colors you'd like to see be adopted by the show?

And for the open I can see something like we have no for World News and CNN Today with a new globe spinning and maybe pips at different locations, you know, connecting the world.

#16 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:13 PM

Did anybody of you guys watch Backstory yesterday? On one of those screens behind Michael you could see Becky apparently doing sort of a rehearsal. You could recognize a "Connect the World"-logo and Becky was standing in a completely blue environment (could have been a bluebox). I wanted to pay closer attention to it, but then Michael changed the camera angle...

#17 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:39 PM

Crap, i didn't pay attention to the screens in the background even though I usually do. I remember seeing Richard filming something once, still don't know what it was.

Maybe tonight she'll do it again.

#18 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:27 PM

Yeah! Let's definitely pay attention tonight! I hardly recognized any details yesterday and that's why I was wondering if some of you guys had noticed it earlier than I did and could share some details... ^^ It kind of looked like she was standing on a blue, round stage... but as I said: I'm not exactly sure what I saw. :-(

#19 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:02 PM

She's rehearsing again right now!!!!

You described it right, it looks like some newswall a la Sky News and it's all blue. Becky is running around. :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT: It looks like a virtual set, which I don't like. :-(

#20 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:21 PM

It is a virtual set, a moment ago everything was black around Becky and then it became blue with the logo. Also they had some maps being zoomed in and she was pointing to something on them.

I hope they use the normal set too.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users