476 replies to this topic

#21 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:02 AM

I don't mind virtual sets. Yes, they look silly and cheap during regular newscasts when the anchor is sitting at the newsdesk and they use the blue/green box behind him to show plain pictures and as a backdrop sometimes even a fake-newsroom... But I don't think that virtual studios are generally a bad choice - it depends on the concept of the show. From what I saw yesterday I predict it's gonna be looking great. It's something different. Something that we haven't seen on CNN so far and so to speak a contribution to more diversity in terms of presentation styles and program concepts. The regular London set has come to its limits. Probably it would look silly and cheap to use it for a show like Connect the World. I'm looking forward to Monday! :D

#22 Mehnaz Fatima Zaidi

Mehnaz Fatima Zaidi

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:21 AM

I am looking forward for the new show! ;-)

#23 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:46 PM

Whoever said Becky was on one of the monitors on BackStory (Axl0706), you are right. I was watching BackStory on Tuesday and saw her rehearsing for the new show. Looking forward to it.
http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#24 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:36 PM

From Hala's Twitter page:

Getting ready to hand over air to Michael Holmes. Will then take part in the Connect The World rehearsal.

Becky and Hala in the same show.

#25 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:01 PM

Few days ago I saw on BS in the background that Becky spoke to Ally Velchi. They rehears like they are really live on air.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#26 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:36 AM

Who said they didn't like blue?

click:

I gotta say that I am getting excited now. I knew I would start getting exciting with all the anticipation as soon as the weekend hit. I hope it's as good as it should be. I know the Becky fans deserve a good show from their girl! :-)

#27 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

The list of contributors is impressive!! Really looking forward to hear from those people!

• Mo Ibrahim
• Tina Brown
• Eric Margolis
• Christopher Hitchens
• Ken Rogoff
• Steven Pinker
• Shashi Tharoor
• Nick Thompson
• John Prendergast
• Chrystia Freeland
• Paul Collier
• Ian Bremmer
• Bill Emmott
• Niall Ferguson

#28 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:15 AM

I dont know one person from that list.

#29 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:49 AM

You must know Christopher Hitchens?

I am so happy they got him, he is great to watch.

#30 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:58 PM

You probably know John Prendergast too, Junk Junk. If I remember correctly he's made several appearances as a guest on Business International with Becky in the past...

I'm eager to know how they are going to bring those contributors in. Will there be a debate each day? Or a commentary section? Can't waint till Monday! :D

#31 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

I'll probably recognize them if I see them on the show. The show really promises to be interesting; cant wait for tomorrow. :-)

#32 Viktorchief

Viktorchief

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:41 PM

I have been reading this site for a while and just registered. I'm very curious about connect the world and the virtual set.

#33 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

^^^ Connect the World is a brand new CNNI show that will start tomorrow (April 20). If I remember correctly, it will have a panel of experts and analysis to discuss the world events in depth.

Becky Anderson is the host of this show, BTW. Hope it helps.

The virtual set, however, I heard something about it, but we'll see.

"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."

#34 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:51 PM

I hope they shock us with the sets; the london set currently is totally bland and tasteless for me, with the same thing in each and every show, starting from CNN Today, to QMB, to WBT; everything blue, and again CTW seems to adopt the blue theme as well, which has become very monotonous. Hope there's something new in store for us, in terms of the sets, and maybe even the graphics presentation.

#35 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:59 PM

Yeah, I don't understand the 'blue' theme everyone's going with in London, it makes everything look mellow.

Connect the World might have adopted the blue theme as well, but what are the chances we'll be seeing red? I think of that color when CTW pops up in my mind.

#36 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:58 AM

And I visualize an opening of some something like that of The Situation Room (every news; cities connected to DC), if you know what i mean...

#37 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:32 PM

Tonight’s the night!

After months of planning and weeks of rehearsals, here we are. Eight hours from now, Connect the World will go on air.

I know you’ll join us on air tonight, but we wish you could feel the buzz in the newsroom right now: It’s electric; the excitement is very palpable.

As of this writing, we have absolutely no idea what our lead will be. A Connects lead has to have legs that take it around the world. Let’s see what happens.

Back to work, and monitoring the news wires — join us for the launch, we promise it’ll be exciting, unique, and entertaining. Stay connected!

Ok - I've been trying to avoid thinking about the show because I don't want to have any expectations. I know Becky will be great, but I truly do hope this is something unique and informative. Fingers are crossed. Started to get really excited now - I think I'm going to burst...

#38 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

Atika was on IDesk from the newsroom set and you could really see the buzz behind her. :shock:
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#39 HaBa

HaBa

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

My ideals will be destroyed if this proves to be chroma keyed....

#40 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

Tonight’s the night!

After months of planning and weeks of rehearsals, here we are. Eight hours from now, Connect the World will go on air.

I know you’ll join us on air tonight, but we wish you could feel the buzz in the newsroom right now: It’s electric; the excitement is very palpable.

As of this writing, we have absolutely no idea what our lead will be. A Connects lead has to have legs that take it around the world. Let’s see what happens.

Back to work, and monitoring the news wires — join us for the launch, we promise it’ll be exciting, unique, and entertaining. Stay connected!

Ok - I've been trying to avoid thinking about the show because I don't want to have any expectations. I know Becky will be great, but I truly do hope this is something unique and informative. Fingers are crossed. Started to get really excited now - I think I'm going to burst...

Thought I was going to miss this but I raced home as fast as I could! An hour to go! :-)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users