476 replies to this topic

#41 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:18 PM

No need to hurry, Leeroy... CTW starts at 2000GMT - a little under two hours from now ;-)

#42 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:27 PM

No need to hurry, Leeroy... CTW starts at 2000GMT - a little under two hours from now ;-)

Phew! I got too excited. Aarg! This is always exciting seeing something new launch. I have butterflies like when International Desk and Quest Means Business launched. I admire all 3 of them: Becky, Hala and Richard. I only wish them success and am nervous for them. Must be scary waiting for the clock to countdown and to put into action something you've been working on for weeks / months.

#43 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:30 PM

Good, that means CNNI all afternoon

2pm Quest Means Business
3pm I-Desk
4pm Connect the World
5pm BackStory
5:30pm Back to local newscasts
http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#44 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:34 PM

Good, that means CNNI all afternoon

2pm Quest Means Business
3pm I-Desk
4pm Connect the World
5pm BackStory
5:30pm Back to local newscasts

Now that's a killer lineup if ever I've seen one!

Morpy, you're quiet in this thread. I was expecting every 2nd post to be from you! :-P

#45 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:37 PM

Ha... It's reserved excitement. I've learnt from the past that one should never get their hopes up. As I've said previously, I'm sure Becky will do fine. I'm sure the show will be perfect. I won't make any final comments until I see a few episodes. But yeah... reserved excitement would be where I'm at this minute.

Plus, it's 4:37am. I need to make a coffee...

#46 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:39 PM

It's such a shame all these new shows are in a terrible time for you. :-(
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#47 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

Must be scary waiting for the clock to countdown and to put into action something you've been working on for weeks / months.

Becky is a pro - she probably won't be nervous... ^^ (but hey that might be an interesting question for Michael to ask her on Backstory after the first edition is done!!). I guess the whole team's got so much work to do right now that there is no time to look at the clock, count the seconds and get anxious...

#48 Arrapare

Arrapare

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

am watching beckys new show when it starts. I wonder if Hala will do news updates coz she was doing the rehearsal the other day you know?
My forum friends on twitter:
yazmanian_devil morpium Leroy greekdude ginnyfan peramirez dezbee2008 goursote Spitfire
My CNN friends on twitter:
Jennifer delgado Kristie Lu Stout Jim clancy Rosemary Church Kyra Philips Mark McKay Errol Barnett Backstory
http://www.twitter.com/arrapare

#49 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:46 PM

18 people online just then. CNNI should launch a new show every day! Never seen so much excitement / action here in over 2 plus years!

#50 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

And yet, last December we had 66 users at once.

CTW had something to do with this. (The hype!!)
http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#51 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:51 PM

It's such a shame all these new shows are in a terrible time for you. :-(

Tell me about it! I'm so tired! :lol: I'll just make sure I don't go driving any heavy machinery later this morning...

I was hoping the blog would give us an idea as to what we could expect on the first show, but I dare say we won't see something like Hala's posts about what's coming up on the show because of this:

As of this writing, we have absolutely no idea what our lead will be. A Connects lead has to have legs that take it around the world. Letís see what happens.

#52 Mehnaz Fatima Zaidi

Mehnaz Fatima Zaidi

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:33 PM

I am very very excited, only half an hour to go ...... :D

#53 Ozzie Rosie

Ozzie Rosie

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:03 PM

BREAKING NEWS

CONNECT THE WORLD USES KEYED SET IN LONDON.
I'm Rosemary Church, thanks for your company. *SMILES*

#54 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:05 PM

Oh my........ Chroma key set :-( Will post more reaction, specifically about the content, during commerical

#55 Ozzie Rosie

Ozzie Rosie

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:07 PM

The flipbox/ticker has been replaced by a "Connect | Line" which highlights the place being talked about. I guess the "Connect | Line" is pretty essential to the concept of the show, but I personally don't find it useful at all, especially when the location still pops up above reporters' names. Another useless flourish?

And so far most of the interviews seem recorded rather than "live". Becky is pretty much just the narrator.

It doesn't seem as fast-paced as I-Desk, especially since it only focuses on one story.

But early days yet...
I'm Rosemary Church, thanks for your company. *SMILES*

#56 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:16 PM

I think they've lost half the energy of the show by using a stupid key. I can't see how Becky can feel comfortable looking at nothing.

#57 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:16 PM

I'll jump in during the commercials.

The key sucks. I know the set doesn't maketh the program, but there's nothing they can't do standing up at the video wall. Infact, the only think remarkable about the key is that there isn't a CNN logo looping somewhere.

It's a big shock from the fast pace nature of the International Desk. Not sure the programs go well back to back - and then to be followed by fast-paced BackStory.

The musical stab between the "connections" is already annoying, not to mention cheesy.

Becky's great - but she's not her usual energised self. I agree that she has become a narrator. I want to see the take no prisoners Becky. This isn't the Becky we know. And that's a major part of why the show seems to be lacking.

The program has the feel of something from NPR, but the content isn't all that different to World News.

I hope you're right OR - I hope it is just because of the early days.

#58 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:21 PM

This is like improved Insight , the concept is good but Becky shouldn't be the host, she can't be her usual self and has to narrate like on The Spirit of...

I want Becky to anchor, that's when she's at her best.

The music sounds interesting but the title card is like some News at 10 type of program.

I hate virtual sets but I think this one is nicely done , it doesn't look very unreal.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#59 HaBa

HaBa

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:23 PM

Being chroma keyed takes 50% of the energy of the show, that could be easily done from the real studio.

Music and graphics are really annoying.

Really, Becky is someone to be live 100% of the show, not taped interviews.

And it's just too blue. TOO MUCH! What is up with CNN?

The only good thing so far is that there isn't an animation box next to the logo.

So far, IMO, there is a huge lack of pace.

It's an extended version of Insight, sure they could combine real news and this insight look at the news.

#60 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:25 PM

The music stabs sound like a computer starting up or logging off between users.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users