Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:07 PM
I think we are going to see a lot of changes comming to BBC WORLD soon. With the emphasis on NEWS and moving into the current NEWS24 studio lots of things will change.
1. A new and improve studio, camara, lighting.(summer) before that they will be in the current NEWS24 studio(april 21).
2. New branding, graphics, colors, tiltle, scraps that unite all the outputs (April 21).
3. With the large studio there will be double headed anchors and more live news.
4. Now most of the shows that are on during the week will be place over the weekend. With the exception of popular shows like Fast Track, Click, Hardtalk, Our World. Shows like World Debate, Doha Debates, Arts programs, Newsnight, and the Rolex sponsored shows. These are the money making programs they will not go.
5. Due to Asia presence and growing influence on the world stage, the Asia studio will be overhauled and tide in with the channel and not make it a separate feed/channel like it was before ex. the South Asia and Middle East Feed had separate shows/programs that were not seen on other feeds of the channel now it is been placed on all the feeds over the weekend for different time zones.
6. All these changes will be slow changes for the Washington output, because of the recent World News Today launch with BBC AMERICA. Other things to consider is the PBS deal with BBC WORLD. BBC AMERICA is not happy with that deal. I read that they want to end it because PBS ratings for the program is 900,000 viewers a night. If those viewers were to go over at BBC AMERICA, that will boast the ratings and increase advertising income. They have also created a new advertising team for the US this month that will work with clients for BBC AMERICA, WORLD and the new bbc.com, that wasn't the case before. Discovery Networks handle ad buying for BBC America and WORLD was out of the picture for years.
7. The bad thing is changes are coming so there will be lots of inconviences, mistakes and waiting to see the full result untill the fall.
7. The good thing is that, there will be a cleaner and unified look, bigger studio more intergration of programs into the news. Cutting out alot of the duplicates like Talking Movies, Have your Say, Dateline london. There will be more emphasis on production and Creativity with fewer shows to follow hence money will be saved. Its all about cutting cost and focusing the BBC resources on what it does best, News gathering and reporting.