728 replies to this topic

#41 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 09:14 AM

You know, if you actually took the time to watch CNNI occasionally, you would see that Britney Spears and the like are hardly mentioned any more than on BBC World. I accept that CNN is very Americanized, but since America is the world's most powerful and influential country, perhaps that is justified.

And BBC World/Aljazeera and so on are actually just based on CNN anyway, sice it was the world's first ever news channel.

Want more? Here are the facts to what I said.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bbc_world
http://www.bbc.co.uk... ... list.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk... ... eols.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk... ... /pax.shtml

I don't want to start a big argument over this cldsleyon, but if you go on CNN/Time Warner's press offices, you can find just as many things saying CNN is the world's most watched news channel. BBC and CNN just twist the statistics to make themselves look beter.
http://www.cnnmediai...rch_europe.html

And you said BBC World is the most quoted news channel... I often see Sky News and CNN quoted in newspapers/on the web, but I can never remember having seen BBC quoted. :D

I think I've got my point across now... :D

#42 cldsleyon

cldsleyon

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:44 PM

You know, if you actually took the time to watch CNNI occasionally, you would see that Britney Spears and the like are hardly mentioned any more than on BBC World. I accept that CNN is very Americanized, but since America is the world's most powerful and influential country, perhaps that is justified.

BBC WORLD almost never talk about Britney Spears so don't include them with CNNI. CNN always talk about her and Paris Hilton on saturdays in Hollywood Update segment throughout saturday. I didn't talk about the US and its powers. Go back and read/understand what I said.

And BBC World/Aljazeera and so on are actually just based on CNN anyway, sice it was the world's first ever news channel.
Being first ever doesn't make it great for people to copy you and based their channel on your principals, otherwise Fox News would have been another CNN clone. As we all know that didn't happened. Now CNN struggles to find viewers. Fox beats the crap out of them everyday. Just as the other channels have caught up with them. It is the same way as Beoing and AirBus, they go back and forth with sales and orders eventhough Beoing started early then AirBus.

Want more? Here are the facts to what I said.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bbc_world
http://www.bbc.co.uk... ... list.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk... ... eols.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk... ... /pax.shtml

I don't want to start a big argument over this cldsleyon, but if you go on CNN/Time Warner's press offices, you can find just as many things saying CNN is the world's most watched news channel. BBC and CNN just twist the statistics to make themselves look beter.
http://www.cnnmediai...rch_europe.html

And you said BBC World is the most quoted news channel... I often see Sky News and CNN quoted in newspapers/on the web, but I can never remember having seen BBC quoted. :D

Sky is quoted for celebrity and missing people.
Are you serious the BBC is one of the biggest news brands in the world. When leaders want to talk they to the BBC.
When Benizir Bhutto said she will give the US the chance to bomb or capture Osama Bin Ladin if she knew or they told her. It was news in the New York Times/CNNUS/CNNI/MSNBC/FOX ran the story. When Jimmy Cater called the vice president the worst person in the world on BBC WORLD NEWS AMERICA. The last interview with Kofi Anan. Recently the interview with the Sauidi King when he said Britain knew about the 7/7 inteligence report that was a big story. CNNI ran BBC WORLD clip on the air. I do watch CNN when I have the chance to and if its interesting.

I think I've got my point across now... :D

I think my point is across now.

#43 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:59 PM

what the hell are you posting cldsleyon?

Can I ask that please too. :evil:

It's one thing having a civilized discussion about whether BBC World is better than CNN or not. It's very different when you go around 'quoting' me, but modifying the contents of the quote to make it look like I said things I didn't.

Strange really that I don't remember ever posting this:

Being first ever doesn't make it great for people to copy you and based their channel on your principals, otherwise Fox News would have been another CNN clone. As we all know that didn't happened. Now CNN struggles to find viewers. Fox beats the crap out of them everyday. Just as the other channels have caught up with them. It is the same way as Beoing and AirBus, they go back and forth with sales and orders eventhough Beoing started early then AirBus.

Sky is quoted for celebrity and missing people.
Are you serious the BBC is one of the biggest news brands in the world. When leaders want to talk they to the BBC.
When Benizir Bhutto said she will give the US the chance to bomb or capture Osama Bin Ladin if she knew or they told her. It was news in the New York Times/CNNUS/CNNI/MSNBC/FOX ran the story. When Jimmy Cater called the vice president the worst person in the world on BBC WORLD NEWS AMERICA. The last interview with Kofi Anan. Recently the interview with the Sauidi King when he said Britain knew about the 7/7 inteligence report that was a big story. CNNI ran BBC WORLD clip on the air. I do watch CNN when I have the chance to and if its interesting.

It's a bit pathetic having to resort to things like that - anyone can scroll up the page and see I never wrote that. At least I don't have to be pathetic to get my point across.

I'm not going to carry on this stupid argument any more.

Do something useful instead. :D

And if you don't like CNN, why are you on a CNN fan forum? :shock:

#44 theBlockerPH

theBlockerPH

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 03:28 PM

can i ask for some sanctions to cldsleyon?
he/she is misleading the forumers, by adding misleading messages that did not said by the original posters (especially me and Richard).

what the hell he/she's thinking?!

---------------

cldsleyon,
if you made a mistake...

please put [/quote] before you add your message...

#45 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:26 PM

Posted Image
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
"Do not adjust your set she really is that beautiful."
YWT 14th November 2006

#46 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:29 PM

Wow, I didn't know about this discussion.
I really used to love BBC World. They had a great set and the best music and opening from 2000-2003. But since then they changed many things and the channel became unwatchable for me.

Thank God they changed their music and graphics last year and now it looks much better. But they still don't have the proper ending to their bulletins.They just cut off to the weather and it looks very disjointed at times.

As for the presenters they are all good but I don't like a lot of them very much. I like Mishal Hussein and Nisha Pillai. My favorite male anchor was Stephen Cole, but sadly he left.

There is one thing BBC World needs and it's to have at least one show with 2 anchors like they did in the begining and like News 24 does now. I think it would make the channel more interesting and bring some life to their sometimes stale presentation.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#47 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:56 AM

I just changed my cable apckages around and I get BBC World now, and I have to say, it's pretty good. I enjoy the breakfiller and Fast Track, *great program* though not as good as Business Traveller, it works quite well just the same!

#48 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:34 AM

Stephen Cole, (now Al-Jazeera English) always reminds me of Bill Clinton. lol. :lol:

#49 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:15 PM

BBC anchors and anchoresses are a unremarkabkle bunch I must say but there is one exception.
Posted Image
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
"Do not adjust your set she really is that beautiful."
YWT 14th November 2006

#50 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:48 AM

During alot of the live shows, they seem to have a long, akward pause near the end of the show, before they sign off... wierd!

#51 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:49 PM

I really love the new BBC News website (http://www.bbcnews.com). I still haven't seen anything that's as good as MSNBC.com, but the new BBC site is much better than CNN.com, IMO. I'm really getting bored of the bland white feel of cnn.com now - I wish they'd make it more colorful!

#52 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:13 PM

During alot of the live shows, they seem to have a long, akward pause near the end of the show, before they sign off... wierd!

I think they do that because regional news begins in some parts of the world/regions.

#53 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:31 PM

Apparently BBC News 24 and the BBC's network news broadcasts (1, 6 and 10 o'clock news) are getting a brand new 'multimedia newsroom' sometime later in April. It's not just forum rumors - it was in the newspaper today. Has anyone heard about this on any other forums? Plase tell me if you have!

Edit: Apparently BBC World is moving into the current News 24 studio.

The channel is set to move out of N8 around the spring of 2008, where it will be replaced by BBC World, and into the small news studio N6 which it will have to share with the One and Ten O'Clock News.

http://www.tvradiobits.co.uk/idents/news24c.htm

#54 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:08 PM

I thought 24 and World had the same newsroom. They look really similar though.

#55 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:24 PM

I read somewhere else that Monday April 21 is when it's changing. Apparently they might be getting new graphics, like the new one in the header image at bbcnews.com. Looks cool IMO.

#56 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:45 AM

April 21 has been confirmed as the date when both BBC World and BBC News 24 get their complete makeovers - new titles, new studios, new color schemes and possibly new on-screen graphics too. I have often thought BBC World and News 24 looked a bit dull, so I'm glad they're doing something to liven them up a bit.

The changes are so big News 24 and BBC World are both getting new names too! BBC News 24 will be named simply 'BBC News', and BBC World is being changed to 'BBC World News'. :shock:

I think the new name for BBC World is awful - it sounds like a news program, not a news channel. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

The Times of London had this article today:

http://business.time...icle3735982.ece

#57 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:56 PM

THAT IS HUGE!! :shock:

#58 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

I think we are going to see a lot of changes comming to BBC WORLD soon. With the emphasis on NEWS and moving into the current NEWS24 studio lots of things will change.

1. A new and improve studio, camara, lighting.(summer) before that they will be in the current NEWS24 studio(april 21).
2. New branding, graphics, colors, tiltle, scraps that unite all the outputs (April 21).

3. With the large studio there will be double headed anchors and more live news.

4. Now most of the shows that are on during the week will be place over the weekend. With the exception of popular shows like Fast Track, Click, Hardtalk, Our World. Shows like World Debate, Doha Debates, Arts programs, Newsnight, and the Rolex sponsored shows. These are the money making programs they will not go.

5. Due to Asia presence and growing influence on the world stage, the Asia studio will be overhauled and tide in with the channel and not make it a separate feed/channel like it was before ex. the South Asia and Middle East Feed had separate shows/programs that were not seen on other feeds of the channel now it is been placed on all the feeds over the weekend for different time zones.

6. All these changes will be slow changes for the Washington output, because of the recent World News Today launch with BBC AMERICA. Other things to consider is the PBS deal with BBC WORLD. BBC AMERICA is not happy with that deal. I read that they want to end it because PBS ratings for the program is 900,000 viewers a night. If those viewers were to go over at BBC AMERICA, that will boast the ratings and increase advertising income. They have also created a new advertising team for the US this month that will work with clients for BBC AMERICA, WORLD and the new bbc.com, that wasn't the case before. Discovery Networks handle ad buying for BBC America and WORLD was out of the picture for years.

7. The bad thing is changes are coming so there will be lots of inconviences, mistakes and waiting to see the full result untill the fall.

7. The good thing is that, there will be a cleaner and unified look, bigger studio more intergration of programs into the news. Cutting out alot of the duplicates like Talking Movies, Have your Say, Dateline london. There will be more emphasis on production and Creativity with fewer shows to follow hence money will be saved. Its all about cutting cost and focusing the BBC resources on what it does best, News gathering and reporting.

#59 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:57 PM

The whole plan seems to be to get rid of all the different branding for all the BBC's different news institutuins and call them all 'BBC News', to try and increase brand awarreness. I can see why they're doing this, but I just don't htink 'BBC News' has the same ring to it as 'CNN' or 'Sky News'.

Anyway, some pics of the new sets and graphics have been leaked, and I must say they're looking great, at least compared to what they used to have. The newsroom background isn't real - it's all huge LCD/plasma screens.

Posted Image

Image from http://www.guardian....bbc.television1

#60 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:07 PM

The whole plan seems to be to get rid of all the different branding for all the BBC's different news institutuins and call them all 'BBC News', to try and increase brand awarreness. I can see why they're doing this, but I just don't htink 'BBC News' has the same ring to it as 'CNN' or 'Sky News'.

Anyway, some pics of the new sets and graphics have been leaked, and I must say they're looking great, at least compared to what they used to have. The newsroom background isn't real - it's all huge LCD/plasma screens.

They look really nice I can't wait to see it on live. Those colors are soft and pretty.
If the titles looks that fantistic, I can't wait for David Lowes music were they always suceed.
Well done.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users