132 replies to this topic

#1 Hamil

Hamil

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:43 PM

I found topics for CNNUS and CNNI management, but I couldn't find one for CNN Worldwide, so here it is. Some news of a new hire:

Janet Rollé Joins CNN Worldwide

CNN Press Release: Janet Rollé Named Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer for CNN Worldwide

Janet Rollé, who has led marketing strategy and execution for leading media brands at BET, MTV Networks and HBO, will join CNN Worldwide as executive vice president and chief marketing officer, it was announced today by Jim Walton, president of CNN Worldwide. Rollé, who will report directly to Walton, will be based in New York.

Rollé is joining CNN from BET Networks, where as executive vice president and chief marketing officer she led brand strategy and marketing efforts, including on-air promotions, off-channel and digital marketing, affiliate and trade marketing. She directed a redesign of the BET network on air, and comprehensive, multi-platform marketing campaigns for the brand’s signature successes, including BET’s history-making scripted series THE GAME, The BET Honors and the BET Awards, for which BET received multiple Promax/BDA Awards. Advertising Age magazine named her one of “10 Who Made Their Mark” in 2010 for her noteworthy brand development work at BET.

"Janet has a deep understanding of and experience with brands that have profound relevance and resonance for consumers," said Walton. "She understands the power and potential of branding for multiple platforms, and she brings a fresh perspective to our continuing conversation with our audience. I look forward to her contributions on behalf of CNN."

"I am absolutely thrilled to be joining the stellar CNN team at this important time in the evolution of this venerable and venerated brand,” said Rollé. “I hope that my contributions will lead us to even greater success, as we embrace the challenges and opportunities to serve our vast audiences around the world with news and information relevant to their lives that will meaningfully shape their perceptions of our world."

#2 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

There's been a few appointments lately. It seems the new strategy is to have a manager for various divisions of CNN Worldwide, ie: all of CNN's networks.

In an internal memo to CNN staffers, network president Jim Walton announces a change at the top of the Washington DC Bureau. CNN's DC Bureau Chief and head of Special Events, David Borman, will assume a new role as Senior Vice President and Chief Information Officer for the network, reporting directly to Walton.

CNN Observations

#3 Hamil

Hamil

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:19 PM

The Biz Beat International news is growth engine for CNN

http://blogs.ajc.com...s_business_beat

#4 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:43 AM

Not quite sure if I should post this here, but I don't think it warrants a new thread at this point.

CNN is apparently planning to start a new channel in Urdu language in Pakistan. No details on launch date and whether there's gonna be a local partner, such as IBN in neighboring India.

http://arabnews.com/...ticle373530.ece

#5 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:16 PM

I'm guessing this topic can be used for CNN newsgathering as well? I was going to post in the bureaux thread, but this isn't so much a bureau, just one of the newsgathering desks for CNN Worldwide. Or at least, was a newsgathering desk. CNN is closing it down as of Friday. Nick Valencia, the journalist who ran the desk doesn't appear happy and has been posting a few tweets. Some of those are below.

RT @cnnsara: RIP CNN Spanish Desk! @CNNValencia @CNNJackie / Thanks for the support Sara. Sad day for us here on the Spanish Desk

http://twitter.com/#!/CNNValencia/status/96664939233689601

PHOTO- CNN Spanish Desk project comes to a close. Goodbye party http://twitpic.com/5xarh7

http://twitter.com/#!/CNNValencia/status/96665107215556608

RT @MiaAquinoCNN: This is at my desk. Saying goodbye to the Spanish Desk! http://twitpic.com/5xarbc

http://twitter.com/#!/CNNValencia/status/96665111594405888

RT @TheMexicanist: @CNNValencia oh no! Why are they closing the Spanish desk? #dislike

http://twitter.com/#!/CNNValencia/status/96674169227448320

RT @jaredataylor: @CNNValencia they killed your new project? that was quick./ so it goes. I'm going back to general newsgathering now

http://twitter.com/#!/CNNValencia/status/96665783157014528

As of tmrw the CNN Spanish Desk project I was heading will dissolve. I'll be going back to the CNN National Desk. Un abrazo a todos.

http://twitter.com/#!/CNNValencia/status/96680441171546112

#6 Wilma

Wilma

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:37 AM

A question! Tony Maddox, CNNI boss, is now in charge of the International Desk. Is that still based in the CNN US newsroom, or did they move the operation of that desk up to the CNNI newsroom?

#7 Samson

Samson

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:56 AM

CNN Honored for Digital Technology at International Convention

Message from Jim Walton, President of CNN Worldwide:

I am pleased to announce some news involving our company. Last night, CNN BEST won the 2011 Innovation Award for Digital Content Management System at the International Broadcasting Convention (IBC), a top industry organization in Amsterdam that honors global industry innovation. Specifically, the IBC recognized CNN for excellence in a globally integrated news environment. From cameras in the field, to editing in production centers, to play out in control rooms and finally the centralized digital library, CNN has one of the most advanced high definition production systems in the world. The award was accepted on behalf of CNN by Bob Hesskamp, senior vice president, CNN Broadcast Engineering and Technology, Ashley Blackmon, senior director of CNN's Image + Sound – Production Services, and Michael Koetter, vice president of News Technology Planning & Development. BEST was previously awarded this honor in 2007 for digital newsgathering technology, which was used to launch CNN into an HD network. This international recognition reflects the long-led innovative culture at CNN, and there were many people who contributed to this success. Please join me in congratulating the team.

http://cnnpressroom....nal-convention/

#8 kk_kev

kk_kev

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:11 AM

Just saw CNN using Ten News footage for their Qantas grounding story - I thought CNN signed a content deal with Sky News Australia?
previosuly kev

#9 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:02 AM

^^Correct, but there are examples from other countries where CNN is affiliated with more than one local network as well.

#10 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:23 AM

A question! Tony Maddox, CNNI boss, is now in charge of the International Desk. Is that still based in the CNN US newsroom, or did they move the operation of that desk up to the CNNI newsroom?

Not sure, but I'd bet it's still on CNN's main domestic newsroom.

#11 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:05 AM

Dozens of Jobs Cut at CNN; New York, Atlanta, Washington, DC, Miami, LA Staffers Pink-Slipped

http://www.mediabist...-slipped_b97876

#12 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:34 PM

Some major management changes affecting CNNI and HLN

HLN Senior Vice President Bill Galvin becomes CNNI's SVP for business development and sport coverage. His remit includes special and sponsored coverage, and sports coverage across all of CNN Worldwide
Current CNNI Programming SVP Katherine Green becomes HLN SVP/Managing Editor
Current CNNI Vice President of coverage and feature programming Mike McCarthy replaces her. He is the person who in the words of Tony Maddox and Scott Safron has "done ground-breaking work in developing the sponsored coverage on CNNI, setting up an area of programming and a business model that is widely admired throughout the industry"

I know a lot of posters on here put a substantial part of the responsibility for the current state of CNNI in the hands of Katherine Green, so probably won't be sad to see her leave CNNI. However it would seem that the mastermind behind Eye On/Future Cities/The Gateway etc is her replacement, so I'm not so sure CNNI will see a return to it's past glory

Anyway lets give everyone a chance and wish them well in their new posts

http://www.mediabist...-to-hln_b100612

Edited by excel99, 01 December 2011 - 10:35 PM.

#13 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:52 PM

I am glad to see Green go. Considering her extensive background in US local news, she was not the right fight for an international network. Perhaps the network formerly known as Headline News will be a better fit for her.

I think your qualms about McCarthy taking over are valid, but I did a quick search on him (he doesn't have a CNN.com bio) and I discovered that he's been with CNNI since 2002, so perhaps his vision won't be completely misguided.

#14 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:59 AM

Time Warner’s CNN Looks to Digital Acquisitions to Regain Ground on Fox http://www.bloomberg...und-on-fox.html

#15 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

Amy Entelis joins CNN as Vice President for Talent and Content Development

http://www.mediabist...999#more-104999

Mark Whitaker writes in his note to CNN staff:

In this newly created position, Amy will oversee a new unit that will spearhead and support talent and program development initiatives for all our networks, including CNN/US, CNN/International and HLN. Please join me in welcoming Amy to CNN when she begins later this month.

#16 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

...and the notoriously bureaucratic CNN becomes even more bloated. This doesn't sit well with me. Previously, Katherine Green (now at HLN) handled talent development and program creation at CNNI. This new move means that the new CNNI SVP of Programming has been stripped of duties. It also means that we'll have someone in New York, well away from CNNI's day to day operations which are still heavily produced in Atlanta, in charge of an important part of the network. All while also doing the same job for CNN Domestic and HLN.

I can't believe I'm going to defend Katherine Green here, but she spent most of 2008 and early 2009 apparently looking at CNNI's crop of talent and developing all those new shows we saw. I'm not confident someone sitting in New York and only devoting part of their time to the job (remember, she's got 3 networks to think about) will be quite as effective.

#17 Samson

Samson

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:13 AM

This lady sounds like she's got plenty of experience, but I don't understand why Turner or CNN create all these positions that seem quite redundant and simply doubling up on the roles of others. It definitely does seem to be quite a strange idea to add another layer of management. Too may cooks, and all...

#18 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

I actually felt hopeful reading this. By creating this position for Amy, could it be that CNN is finally acknowledging there is a problem with content or rather lack of content?
And her being assigned to New York is also a good thing. That just may be the bureau with the biggest problems. First stop OutFront, second stop Starting Point.

#19 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:05 AM

I actually felt hopeful reading this. By creating this position for Amy, could it be that CNN is finally acknowledging there is a problem with content or rather lack of content?
And her being assigned to New York is also a good thing. That just may be the bureau with the biggest problems. First stop OutFront, second stop Starting Point.

I don't know enough about the inner workings of CNN management to comment on their level of staffing (plenty to say about their product). I first read about this on another chat site yesterday and my first reaction was , "Why didn't they hire her 6 months ago before their new fall lineup?" I never really thought about the problem emanating from NY but now that I think about it, that is so right. Seems like the elite Manhattan crowd is as isolated and out of touch as many Washington DC politicians. Like you, cnn-domestic, I would like to be optimistic about this - Amy seems very qualified and CNN needs the help. You are probably not surprised to hear that I agree that OutFront needs TOP priority. They should focus on Starting Point as well because it is early enough in the process that they could make some tweaks before public sentiment sets in. Frankly, I'm not sure Burnett is a good fit for CNN so I don't know what they can say to her besides, "Straighten up, you're at the grown-ups table now. Act like it." My guess is that they are invested in Burnett through the 2012 election but if she doesn't shape up by then, she is a goner. Good Luck, Amy Entelis, you are going to need it.

#20 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:49 AM

Modlib,
Yes, taking a look at the U.S. bureaus, after New York, she needs to tackle Atlanta. In regards to CNN/USA, the tiresome block of Newsrooms: content, content, content.

As for CNN International, returning the cancelled World Reports and The Brief would be addressing their main issue (lack of live news).

As for Washington, I'm a huge fan of John King. He has got to be one of the most intelligent and informed journalist at CNN, yet his show is quite dull. I truly don't get it and at a complete loss on the problem. He is definitely a keeper, but another major task for Ms Entelis.

As for HLN, I have no clue since I do not watch enough to make a judgement.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users