132 replies to this topic

#121 kk_kev

kk_kev

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Mark Whitaker is stepping down as CNN Worldwide's managing editor and EVP: http://www.mediabist...ng-cnn_b164501 

In other news, Soledad and Starting Point's days are numbered. (see the thread on Chris Cuomo)

previosuly kev

#122 HaBa

HaBa

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

From everything I read, CNN International doesn't seem to be a problem for CNN Worldwide - then it doesn't seem to be the (imminent) focus of Zucker.

But this is interesting to read, from The Daily Beast

Whitaker, a former editor of Newsweek, had been part of a management triumvirate that included CNN/US President Ken Jautz, based in New York and in charge of programming, and CNN International’s Atlanta-based vice president Tony Maddox, who runs news operations. The arrangement, by many accounts, fostered conflict and confusion, with no clear lines of authority—a problem immediately solved by Zucker’s decision to run the 10 a.m. meeting for the foreseeable future. More executive departures and arrivals are in the offing, CNN insiders predicted, and Zucker will likely recruit such longtime loyalists as Michael Bass, a member of Team Zucker at NBC and currently co-executive producer of Katie

#123 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

If CNNI really is a cash machine, it would be hard to imagine Zucker would leave it to one of Walton's triumviri.

#124 HaBa

HaBa

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

I can see changes coming, but from everything I read, I'm in doubt if Zucker has deep understanting of CNNI business and field.

But, yes, as any change in leadership, it wouldn't surprise me to see CNNI executives go. Actually, it's a natural move. I hope though that the likes of Katherine Green won't come back. Things can always be worse.

And with the changing landscape on the international news arena, I also hope that whoever takes the helm of CNNI (if a change really happens) will not see the channel as a cash machine, but a credible network that needs attention and investment. Compare CNNI with the BBC and Al Jazeera English and the answers will come.

Edited by HaBa, 31 January 2013 - 02:05 AM.

#125 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Thing with CNNI, it seems the problem there is more with monetary cutbacks than journalist and editorial dysfunction. 

If they would re-open some of the closed bureaus this of course would eliminate so much of the correspondents covering the world from the London studio. More live news broadcast and eliminate the useless PMT repeats would greatly improve CNNI.

When you watch various shows, I mean thank goodness they play the reports from ITN and other organizations because you won't find the CNNI correspondents there unless it's some kind of major and ongoing event (and that depends on where it is). It's just mind boggling that the organization that calls itself the World's News Leader, is the organization that completely ignores so much of the world.

#126 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

RIP Rena Golden

http://edition.cnn.c...obit/index.html

We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#127 HaBa

HaBa

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

That is really sad. She was a real pro - and from all the reaction, a very nice person. RIP.

#128 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

That is really sad. She was a real pro - and from all the reaction, a very nice person. RIP.

There's one! 

#129 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

Memorial site http://www.renagolde...ns&mem_id=24455

Very clearly highly thought off. The guest book has a lot of comments from familiar and unfamiliar names

#130 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

Someone already posted a YouTube clip on another thread with Jonathan Mann and Colleen McEdwards. It was uploaded on a channel opened by Rena's friends and colleagues where many of them extended their best wishes for her birthday and recovery about a year ago. Take a look at who appears on those clips and you'll get an even better idea of how critical she was to CNNI.

http://www.youtube.c...y/videos?view=0

#131 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:45 AM

Jonathan Mann was very emotional when memorializing her on CNN I Desk.  Thought he was going go cry. 

#132 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:27 AM

I guess this look-back video can go here. It's an interview of the very first anchors of CNN David Walker and Lois Hart.

On a side note, I find it interesting that Bloomberg was allowed to interview them in Studio 7. 

NEW DAY, BLACK FRIDAY 2015

BERMAN: Have shoppers become hooked on their mobile devices to fill their needs?
PEREIRA: Guilty as charged!
BERMAN: Their shopping needs, I'm talking about. We'll break it down next.
PEREIRA: (gasps) What is wrong with you?!
BERMAN: I don't know!

#133 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:22 AM

CNN names Escobar VP of Diversity and Inclusion

Ramón Escobar gets expanded duties at CNN. He has been promoted to Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion for CNN Worldwide. He remains based in New York.

He replaces Geraldine Moriba, who left the post in December.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users