9 replies to this topic

#1 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:32 PM

We've seen and heard of some really awful things out of Libya, but I'm still just so shocked after seeing this report on the television this morning. I feel quite ill. I haven't seen an update, but I hope some news outlet follows this up. The video from the Sky News website is hard to watch, but you should watch it.

Tripoli Shock: Minders Snatch 'Rape Victim'

Lisa Holland, foreign affairs correspondent
A shocking scene occurred in Tripoli on Saturday when a gun was pointed at Sky News after a woman tried to tell foreign journalists about being raped and tortured by Libyan officials.

Sky News

Libyan Woman Struggles to Tell Media of Her Rape

TRIPOLI, Libya — A Libyan woman burst into the hotel housing the foreign press in Tripoli on Saturday morning in an attempt to tell journalists that she had been raped and beaten by members of Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi’s militia. After struggling for nearly an hour to resist removal by Colonel Qaddafi’s security forces, she was dragged away from the hotel screaming.

New York Times

Update: I just read on CNN.com that a government spokesman says the woman is "safe". As I said above, I hope some news outlet follows this story closely.

Later, a government spokesman said al-Obeidy was "safe" and "doing well." He said her case was a criminal one -- not political -- and that she has been offered legal aid.

But his assurances did little to assure the journalists who had witnessed Gadhafi's firm and pervasive grip on Libyan society. A woman who dared to speak against him was quickly silenced. Journalists who dared to tell her story paid a price.

It was one tale that perhaps went a long way in illuminating the need to protect Libya's people.

CNN

Edited by Morpium, 27 March 2011 - 12:14 AM.

#2 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:37 AM

I saw Nic talking about this tonight. Disgusting how it all unfolded. You're right, I hope someone does keep their eye on this story. Last I heard, Gadhaffi's thugs were claiming she was going to be taken to be checked for "mental illnesses".

#3 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:39 AM

I saw some vision on a report from Nic and it truly is disturbing. Nic said at the end of his report that she was taken away to be examined because she was insane, then when he asked to see her, he was told she was taken away somewhere else because she was now sane and would be resting up. Nic went on to add that he was told that he might be able to see her in a few days, and ominously added "we've heard that before".

I dearly hope this woman is ok. The way that hotel staff member placed a black cloth of the woman's head was sickening and conjured up some pretty horrible images.

#4 Gruffny

Gruffny

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:58 AM

Nic had an update on this and the story gets even more worrying now. He said they've been told several different stories as to the woman's whereabouts now. Please pray for Eman al-Obeidy and everyone else abused and being mistreated in Libya.
Let's put the NEWS back into Cable NEWS Network.
less World Sport, more World Report.

#5 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:35 AM

A comment on the facebook group set up to rally support says it much better than I can:

The entire world saw this brave woman literally kidnapped before our very eyes. Yet, astonishingly and tragically, she faces her captors and abusers alone with no one coming to her rescue. And it's amazing and disgusting that the 'crazy prostitute' card is being played... yet again... to discredit a woman. That's been going on since Mary Magdalene's day. God bless Iman and her family.

http://www.facebook....204101406285342

#6 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:57 AM

This is just a horrible story. I heard this morning that now some of the Libyan thugs want to sue the woman? Outrageous.

#7 Dabir

Dabir

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:49 AM

The BBC have an easy to read and easy to follow guide to the latest developments in Libya, here: http://www.bbc.co.uk...e-east-12776418

#8 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:22 AM

Eman al-Obeidy has spoken out to CNN.

#9 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:12 AM

I'm glad she is alive and speaking out still.

#10 Gruffny

Gruffny

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:24 AM

I thought Gadhaffi was supposed to be gone after a couple of days of NATO's airstrikes. It seems like he's not going anywhere anytime soon. I hope this isn't going to be another multi-year war.
Let's put the NEWS back into Cable NEWS Network.
less World Sport, more World Report.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users