160 replies to this topic

#1 kk_kev

kk_kev

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:43 AM

The NYTimes' Media Decoder blog is reporting that Erin Burnett, currently of CNBC, is said to be ready to move over to CNN. Burnett currently co-anchors "Squawk On The Street" (9a-11a ET), and is the sole anchor of "Street Signs" (2p-3p ET), seen on CNBC worldwide.

The CNBC anchor Erin Burnett is poised to sign a long-term contract with CNN, according to three people with knowledge of her plans.The signing will represent a shift to general news anchoring for Ms. Burnett, who has shown interest in branching out beyond business news, CNBC’s specialty. It is unclear what time slot she will occupy at CNN.

Ms. Burnett, who was considered a rising star within CNBC and its parent, NBCUniversal Media, held talks with two broadcast networks, ABC and CBS, before deciding to join CNN, according to two of the people. They insisted on anonymity because the deal had not been made public.

A spokeswoman for CNN, a unit of Time Warner, declined comment on Wednesday night.

The article also stated the Burnett may join CNN's primetime (afternoon/evening) lineup. Interesting situation unfolding here.

[EDIT: Not primetime, but afternoon/evening. Sorry for mis-paraphrasing]
Link: http://mediadecoder....times&seid=auto

Edited by kk_kev, 29 April 2011 - 05:06 AM.

previosuly kev

#2 Beano

Beano

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:46 PM

That would be an interesting move. I like Erin Burnett a lot but I am not sure if she is "CNN material". It is hard to see her do anything else than business coverage (which she does very well). But she may surprise me.

#3 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:55 PM

Primetime officially starts at 8pm, so that would mean she's not about to replace John King at 7pm. Piers Morgan is pretty safe for a full year, so she isn't going there obviuosly either. Spitzer's solo hosting gig is IMO a complete disaster and the ratings are not very good, so maybe CNN is getting ready to make some changes there. With the election campaign slowly starting to heat up, I believe it would be smarter to have a more newsy show at 8, instead of a disgraced pundit "analyzing" the day's top stories from his own perspective.

Of course, there's always a chance Erin will get a role on AC360. As the launch of Cooper's syndicated talk show is nearing, I assume he will have less time to focus solely on his 10pm show, so maybe CNN wants to give Erin a primary substitute role. Soledad O'Brien filled in lately when AC was off, but if the rumors that she's taking over 7pm slot are true, she won't be able to do it anymore. And, as John Vause pointed out (sic!), Isha looks like a princess trying to be a journalist, so I can't imagine her hosting a full hour on CNNUS.

EDIT: I wrote my comment reacting to what I saw in the first post of this thread. After that, I read the NYT article and found out that the word "primetime" is actually not even mentioned in it (Stelter says afternoon or evening), so most of my above calculations about Erin's possible primetime role now seem baseless. But, if it's gonna be afternoon, I see her replacing Ali Velshi's slot. If it's gonna be evening, she'll either replace John King or end up with some kind of role in TSR (A newsreader? That would be a demotion. Wolf's primary substitute? Perhaps).

Edited by newser, 28 April 2011 - 03:14 PM.

#4 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

If Ali Velshi moves to AM, then surely TJ Holmes is the most obvious replacement? And going by some of his recent tweets he seems to be wanting a weekday slot
http://twitter.com/#!/tjholmes/status/60779999392833536
http://twitter.com/#!/tjholmes/status/60775401168965632

If they gave a weekday daytime slot to Erin Burnett instead, CNN maybe left with a rather unhappy TJ...

#5 kk_kev

kk_kev

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:07 AM

A far-flung possibility is that CNN would put her in Brooke Baldwin's current slot (3p-5p) and turn it into a Closing Bell-esque show, and hopefully bring in more viewers for TSR. Brooke's not really suitable for weekday newsblocks anyway
previosuly kev

#6 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:43 PM

It's confirmed, she's joining CNN as chief business and economics correspondent. She starts in June and sometime this summer she'll get her own daily general news show (no time slot announced yet).

This clearly means Ali Velshi's role is about to change, since he obviously won't be chief business correspondent anymore. I'm guessing he'll either go to AM full time or leave the network.

#7 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:18 PM

AM full time is my guess. I'd certainly agree his role will change - he will no doubt want something in return for loosing his Chief Business correspondent role. I suppose the wildcard is he goes to primetime

And then what slot will Erin get, especially with TJ Holmes also rather publically stating he wants a weekday slot. Could some of the daytime slots get shortened to 1 hour to fit everyone in?

#8 Arsenal215

Arsenal215

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:35 PM

It's official guys, Erin Burnett will join CNN in june after Brian Stetler had broken the rumored negotiations earlier on in the week. If i was to guess, i think she's taking Ali Velshi's old timeslot. TVNEWSER has more details....

#9 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:54 PM

As far as Erin's slot is concerned, I kinda think the biggest focus is on the 8pm hour. The ratings were up all across the board during the most dramatic moments of Arab revolutions, but now that the coverage has subsided (stateside at least), the real weak spots are starting to emerge. Spitzer's performance is pretty weak and it's starting to have considerable effects on Piers Morgan's hour, especially when he doesn't have high profile guests. It's obvious that CNN has invested much more into PMT than in Spitzer, therefore the decision to get rid of the former governor could be relatively easy and, from what I read, he doesn't have a long-term contract with CNN anyway.

Now, the question is whether Erin is primetime material. Another big question is will she be able to handle her double role of anchor and chief correspondent. Ali Velshi hasn't been very active as a chief business correspondent since he got the 2 hours of CNN Newsroom. On the other hand, John King (chief national correspondent) can be seen on various CNN programs reporting and analyzing events, despite having his own daily show at the same time.

Also, this might be a part of a bigger pre-election shake-up in the making. Maybe CNN Newsroom will be rebranded, maybe there will be a new anchor every hour, maybe we'll see double anchoring again, anything is possible. Perhaps the most probable thing at this point is Ali Vleshi's presumed move to AM, while everything else is pretty much unclear.

#10 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:39 PM

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this but the press release says she has joined CNN/Worldwide and then makes no specific mention of CNN/US. Wonder if this means she will be a regular face on CNNI, either as a correspondent, or less likely as a simulcast of her programme?

Also has to be said CNN has a very strong business team for a non-business network now

#11 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

She is great. Should be a good move if CNN doesn't mess her up. Ali who? ;)

Edited by Houston, 30 April 2011 - 06:41 PM.

#12 Beano

Beano

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:31 PM

I think it is great news too. And I am very interested to see how Erin and Questy work together: that should result in VERY entertaining television. :D

Btw, a very interesting interview with Erin of a couple of years ago can be found here.

Edited by Beano, 01 May 2011 - 08:38 PM.

#13 Beano

Beano

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

Erin says goodbye to CNBC: http://www.mediaite....od-bye-to-cnbc/

Edited by Beano, 06 May 2011 - 06:36 PM.

#14 Nelly

Nelly

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:25 AM

Erin made her CNN debut tonight

http://cnn.com/video...sp.debt.mpg.cnn
"The one function TV news performs very well is that when there is no news we give it to you with the same emphasis as if there were." (David Brinkley)

#15 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:56 AM

I forgot that I had this...

SitRoom, Friday:

Posted Image

I've also noticed that she's already being featured in the new promo for the live streams for the iPhone and iPad. They just used the video that Nelly posted.

Edited by Charles, 08 August 2011 - 09:57 AM.

#16 JanJaap

JanJaap

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:17 AM

I am sick of this woman already.
Whenever the global financial crisis / debt ceiling / S&P downgrade is being talked about on CNN, this woman will resort to any sort of comments that reflect ignorant beliefs in American exceptionalism. And because she apparently lacks decent reasoning skills, she will start bragging about how the US is still the "best market to invest in" and "the most transparant market for investors" etcetera, Anyhow, she will say just anything that fits the appeal-to-patriotism-fallacy perfectly.

Edited by JanJaap, 09 August 2011 - 01:23 AM.

#17 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

Bio went up today:

http://edition.cnn.c...rnett.erin.html

Edited by Leeroy, 13 September 2011 - 09:01 PM.

#18 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:16 AM

Posted Image

#19 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:48 AM

She's likable, I'm actually looking forward to her show. She seems more relaxed and easy going than many of the fakes on CNN US.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#20 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

Me too!

Can't say that I watched CNBC on a regular basis, but the times I have seen her she has always come off as a journalist who can set herself aside and put the news first.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users