160 replies to this topic

#21 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

I saw her on Morning Joe and I liked her so I was looking forward to her show. It seems brief newscasts with limited talking points is indeed her best format. The hour-long show OutFront has exposed her as an empty suit. I was really disappointed to see her complete lack of in-depth knowledge on anything. I was surprised really. I guess a cute face really can get you far. The show is a slow motion train wreck. I respect CNN's attempt to be centered and politically balanced but I don't think you achieve that by being shallow and, wow, is this woman shallow!!!

#22 bbpear4

bbpear4

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:57 AM

Sort of fetching and dreadful at the same time if that is possible.

#23 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:12 AM

Sort of fetching and dreadful at the same time if that is possible.

LOL, I guess so! I know why guys are drawn to her but she truly is intellectually dreadful!!!!

#24 Bubbles

Bubbles

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:04 PM

Q&A with Erin. http://www.improper....s/erin-burnett/

#25 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:52 AM

Another Burnett interview: "Mediaite Interviews Erin Burnett On Occupy Wall Street, The Middle East, Her Camel Collection" http://www.mediaite....mel-collection/

#26 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:15 AM

Bubbles and Lazalo - thanks for providing the links to the EB interviews. They were very entertaining. I almost feel bad for laughing at her. The Improper Bostonian interview was good - she seems like a cool person to hang out with but still not sure CNN anchor suits her. In the Mediaite interview, she was babbling incoherently. I don't think she grasps that the criticism of her visit to OWS protest was not about her opinions of OWS, rather about her sloppy, shallow journalism of the event. But hey, she called it like she saw it. So did her critics Posted Image.

#27 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:03 AM

Insomnia strikes! Got up and turned on CNN and Erin Burnett was on. She was interviewing an Irani Ambassador. She asked him if Iran was going to sell the unmanned drone to China. He, very disingenuously, answered, "Why would we do that? She answered. I DON'T KNOW. she floundered a bit and then said SOME PEOPLE ARE SAYING THAT.

(1) Doesn't she listen to her own network?

(2) Doesn't she read the myriad of information CNN gives her so she will know, or at least sound as it she knows, what's going on in the news she broadcast?

(3) She graduated from Williams College, quite a good school. Hard to believe that she could do this and be this dumb.

#28 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:17 AM

Insomnia strikes! Got up and turned on CNN and Erin Burnett was on. She was interviewing an Irani Ambassador. She asked him if Iran was going to sell the unmanned drone to China. He, very disingenuously, answered, "Why would we do that? She answered. I DON'T KNOW. she floundered a bit and then said SOME PEOPLE ARE SAYING THAT.

(2) Doesn't she read the myriad of information CNN gives her so she will know, or at least sound as it she knows, what's going on in the news she broadcast?

(3) She graduated from Williams College, quite a good school. Hard to believe that she could do this and be this dumb.

Yeah, she may have went to a good school, but she is indeed that dumb. In terms of getting through Williams, I wonder if privilege trumped talent in her case (perhaps some strategic flirtation helped). She doesn't ever seem to take her job seriously. When is CNN going to clean up this trainwreck? Casual delivery? That's a nice way to say "humorously incompetent."

#29 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:04 AM

Did she literally say "I don't know"? LOL!

Edited by Junk Junk., 09 December 2011 - 11:05 AM.

#30 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

Yes, she did!! I also loved that when she was reading the tweets during her twitter war segment she actually said "i don't know how to say that word." Really?!?!?! Did you try before you put it on your show?!?! I guess she is just winging it. I guess I can't blame her - the check cashes all the same.

#31 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:53 PM

The Transcripts page paints a slightly different picture about this conversation...

Edited by newser, 09 December 2011 - 07:55 PM.

#32 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:33 PM

The Transcripts page paints a slightly different picture about this conversation...

Here's what the CNN transcripts added as an addendum after the vid was over. Remember, this is Burnett's account of what happened and NOT WHAT REALLY HAPPENED.

(END VIDEOTAPE) BURNETT: All right. I also asked the ambassador about whether if the electronics were intact, Iran might share them with, let's say, China. He laughed and said, well, why might you ask that? Well, America would be very concerned if you did that. He said he didn't think they would but wouldn't give a more detailed comment.

I guess they realized that it made her look like an idiot and cleaned it up. She DID NOT SAY Well, America would be very concerned if you did that.

Ay yi yi yi yi!

I also guess we cannot believe CNN transcripts any longer.

I just sent a comment to EB's show about this.

Edited by carpoh, 09 December 2011 - 09:55 PM.

#33 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:34 PM

Oh yes, Junk Junk, she certainly did. And it wasn't a straightforward comment. It was more like a teenager answering a question -- I dunno.

Edited by carpoh, 09 December 2011 - 09:36 PM.

#34 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:26 AM

I don't know who Ms. Burnett knows at Mediaite, but these folks have consistently been pumping her show from the beginning. Now Mediaite is spinning her ratings...

http://www.mediaite....points-of-view/

I enjoy reading various media critic sites that talk cable news ratings but Mediaite stands on there own in terms of being Erin Burnett's PR team. Anyone know why?

I get the impression her ratings really aren't that great (the show has supremely disappointed me) but it is still really early and she needs more time. Maybe she will grow into the role. She certainly needs to step up her game if she wants to hold on to the show. The cutesy flirty girl routine may work great on CNBC but NOT on CNN. She has potential - the interview with Eric Schmidt at Google was really good. But for every great moment, there are about a dozen cringe-inducing moments. Then again, if Erin Burnett has Mediaite on the payroll, she might do okay.

#35 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

Outfront's digital producer used to work for mediaite

#36 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:30 PM

Saw Ali V. sit in for Erin B. the other day. Much preferred him to her and I'm not all that fond of Mr. V. He'll be doing well and then will annoy me and back in the course of a show. Needs more consistency.

Edited by carpoh, 30 December 2011 - 02:40 PM.

#37 Anubis

Anubis

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:57 PM

Hi I’m new here. I just wanted to add that I too saw this interview in its ORIGINAL format and Burnett’s handling of that situation hasn’t sat right with me ever since. In fact, it was in my searching for a clip of the interview to show some coworkers that I managed to find this thread.

As I recall it, she asked the Ambassador if the drone was intact and if there were any plans to send it to China for further scrutiny:

With a chortle the Ambassador replied:

“heh, heh, why would we send to China...?”

Then, with all the candor and mental agility of a befuddled high school cheerleader Burnett replied:

“I dunno. It’s the kinda thing Americans worry about.” (huh? really Erin??)

It was a really strange moment in the broadcast. The Ambassador then proceeded to swipe at America’s apparent insecurity by adding that there were no plans to send the drone to China because they had all the expertise they needed to analyze the drone domestically.

The disingenuousness of the Ambassador’s response might almost have been comical if it wasn’t so overshadowed by Burnett’s ill-preparedness to counter intelligently.

I’m shocked to see that CNN has doctored all records of the exchange. Not only the written transcript, but the video clip posted on their blog has also been edited. What’s the point of posting a written transcript if it’s not accurate and truthful?

#38 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:46 AM

Outfront's digital producer used to work for mediaite

Well that's convenient. It shows ;)

#39 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:58 AM

Saw Ali V. sit in for Erin B. the other day. Much preferred him to her and I'm not all that fond of Mr. V. He'll be doing well and then will annoy me and back in the course of a show. Needs more consistency.

Perhaps I am a bit biased because I am a fan of Ali Velshi and Christine Romans but Erin Burnett is simply not in their league.

#40 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

Perhaps I am a bit biased because I am a fan of Ali Velshi and Christine Romans but Erin Burnett is simply not in their league.

I don't know Christine Romans, but I agree about Ali Velshi being far superior to Erin Burnett.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users