160 replies to this topic

#41 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:31 AM

The discussion of Burnett's interview with Iran Ambassador reminds me of the press conference with Iran's Ahmadinejad in late Sept. 2011 when he spoke at UN General Assembly. It was an invite only press conference and the only three from CNN invited were Wolf Blitzer, Piers Morgan, and Erin Burnett (correct me if I'm wrong but that is what the video showed). I thought that was a strange choice especially since her show had not even aired yet. Why those three and specifically why her? That always bugged me. Seemed to me like some of the Iranians view her as an easily manipulated target to get out a message. Her interview with ambassador seemed so lighweight I wonder why CNN would even allow it. If I was in Iranian leadership and wanted to get on CNN, I know who I would call. Why be challenged by Anderson Cooper when you can get Burnett?

#42 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:51 AM

Oh, I just came across this little tidbit on Mediaite:

http://www.mediaite....flick-with-you/

I didn't watch it originally on her show but I watched the video clip on Mediate.com. You've got to watch the video, no description can give it justice. What the hell is she thinking??? CNN, for the love of all things holy, clean up this mess. Better yet, sell her to Comedy Central - she would probably do great there.

#43 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

Stop. Stop. Stop.

She just pulled an AC360 and called out a satirist. Give me a break.

#44 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

What have her reviews been like? Any TV columnists like her in the least?

#45 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

What have her reviews been like? Any TV columnists like her in the least?

None that I can find. See for yourself...

http://www.theatlant...l-street/43407/

Be sure note the number of other articles linked in the Atlantic Wire piece. Particularly the one in the Baltimore Sun.

#46 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

Thanks. I've found that business reporters are almost always pro-business. All they want to talk about is how unfair businesses are treated and how to make money by screwing the proletariat.

#47 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

I felt embaressed just from watching that. :no:
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#48 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

As soon as I want to give her the benefit of doubt, she pulls a stunt like this. Modlib, you are so right, CNN has there own version of Comedy Central, Erin Burnett.

#49 elle200

elle200

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:39 AM

Why do they call it Out Front (esp her commercials about getting out there and out of the bubble, and that's what it takes to get Out Front...) when she's always in a studio?

#50 Bilka

Bilka

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

I agree Elle200. From all the promos and hype leading up to the show, I thought she was actually going to report from various countries every other week. Props to the CNN promo department for building her up.

#51 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:07 PM

Elle200 and Bilka:
I also agree. Wow, CNN went overboard promoting this show. Nothing else like it in recent memory. The photos with her in a flak jacket holding a camera borders on false advertising. In her defense, she did broadcast from UAE once. Gosh, she sure looked comfortable sitting close to the Prime Minister on his private jet. Not exactly flak jacket territory. She would probably like to broadcast from other locations but I think they blew their budget on nifty promos and pretty pictures of Erin. I don't ever remember reading in newspapers about a cable news launch party but I sure read about a launch party for OutFront. Perhaps it was the photos of her chatting with Jaime Dimon that drew attention. The show seems like a general news hit that is suitable for CNBC - broad coverage but shallow reporting with an emphasis on news relevant or interesting to Wall Street and Fortune 500 execs. OutFront just isn't suitable for a CNN audience.

#52 kk_kev

kk_kev

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

A rare positive review of Erin and OutFront
http://www.andmagazi...enix/12124.html
previosuly kev

#53 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for sharing, kk_kev. I have never heard of AND Magazine. I took a quick look at the "About Us" section after reading the EB article and I can see that I am probably not their target audience. I can also see why they love EB - she fits their mission statement to a tee. It is also the very reason why she rubs so many of us the wrong way. :talk2hand:

From AND Magazine mission statement...
"AND Magazine Was Born From The Need To Fill A Simple Void; Hi-End, Yet Attainable Political Information... And Hi-End Yet Attainable Style... We have found that (because we are our own target market) there is a fringe group out there who have both an intelligence and an acute cultural style sense. Or, at the very least, a desire to attain both. The knowledge of that desire alone, is a state of higher intelligence." :gross:

Alrighty then. They think well of themselves. Perhaps someone could tell me, what is "Hi-End" political information? Do they know they misspelled "Hi" or is that just funny? I guess if those at AND Magazine know it, it must be "Hi-End" material. :lol:

More from AND Magazine mission statement...
"We are the well-dressed, culturally aware, and understated but unique dressers. We know style and we love politics. We love to do good, look good and sound even better." :roll:

Funny, they never mention actually BEING smart instead of just looking and sounding like it. Has anyone informed them that their clothes don't actually make them smarter? Sorry, AND Magazine, those geek-chic glasses don't actually raise your IQ even if they make you look nerdy.

Just wonderin', are they being ironic or are they really that gobsmackingly pretentious? :no:

The author, Dan Tria, is clearly smitten with Burnett. In regards to his assessment of her show, I'll just say I respectfully disagree (in about every way possible). Funny how two people can watch a news show and have wildly different reactions. His review is simply his opinion and that is fine but I would refute his characterization of her ratings. Tria says "OutFront in the past week topped Matthews once and the ratings race is a dead heat in that demographic. The 7 pm (ET) timeslot is tough sledding for any anchor and Burnett's ratings may portend the stability CNN is seeking at the timeslot." :liar:

It is not by any stretch of the imagination, a close race even in the demo. She is getting hammered by Shep Smith AND Chris Matthews. Yes, she beat Hardball once in the demo last week, ON PRIMARY NIGHT, while the Hardball RERUN had a guest host!?!? It is also like the first time she beat Hardball in the demo, EVER. Her numbers are even lower than John King and he got booted from that slot for low ratings. Her weekly averages of total viewers and demo since the show's inception have not beaten Chris Matthews - not even close. As for achieving ratings staibility - I sure hope CNN is aiming higher than third place in cable news. So, Mr. Tria, enjoy the Erin Burnett show while it lasts because I don't think it will be for much longer. :simplelol:

#54 Shinta

Shinta

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

Erin Burnett Now ‘Fortune’ Contributor

http://www.mediabist...ributor_b126592

#55 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

http://www.mediaite....ed-carson-daly/

My initial reaction: Carson Daly is still on TV?!?! Huh, didn't know that.

Reaction after watching video clip in article: Boy, Carson has it really bad for this girl. LOL! If Erin's current engagement to a Citigroup exec doesn't pan out, I'm sure she can give Carson a call.

Edited by modlib, 09 May 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#56 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#57 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

I always feel like I'm listening to a Jr. High School (aka middle school) student when I hear her. Or read anything by her.

#58 magnel69

magnel69

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

It's true but she has good tv personality.

#59 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

#60 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

vlcsnap_2013_02_28_17h55m09s152.pngvlcsnap_2013_02_28_16h00m48s28.pngvlcsnap_2013_02_28_16h00m53s78.png

vlcsnap_2013_02_28_16h00m58s132.pngvlcsnap_2013_02_28_16h01m05s196.pngvlcsnap_2013_02_28_16h01m08s231.png

vlcsnap_2013_02_28_16h01m09s245.pngvlcsnap_2013_02_28_16h03m58s142.pngvlcsnap_2013_02_28_16h04m00s156.png

vlcsnap_2013_02_28_17h54m47s189.pngvlcsnap_2013_02_28_17h54m58s51.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users