626 replies to this topic

#621 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:44 PM

All that's rated is the number of viewers each station has at any particular time.  I think it's mainly for advertising purposes.  An advertiser wants its ads to be seen by the most people.  Much of the time the advertiser doesn't care what it is.  

#622 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:49 PM

The Republican presidential debate Wednesday drew an estimated average of 22.6 million viewers, according to ratings agency Nielsen, making it the most-watched program in CNN's 35-year history.

Wow.

#623 Revorushin

Revorushin

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:04 PM

CNN continues to win the demographic on major political nights with very marginal increases compared to 2008. Fox has sky rocketed in the ratings since then and has overtaken CNN as the most watched channel for major political coverage. Why is that though? CNN which has always been number one in total viewers seems to be settling quite comfortably into second place and that is considered to be a win for them.
Do you guys think, come Election Night, that they will still be the most watched network (including major networks) or are those days now completely behind them?

#624 tipster

tipster

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:23 PM

CNN continues to win the demographic on major political nights with very marginal increases compared to 2008. Fox has sky rocketed in the ratings since then and has overtaken CNN as the most watched channel for major political coverage. Why is that though? CNN which has always been number one in total viewers seems to be settling quite comfortably into second place and that is considered to be a win for them.
Do you guys think, come Election Night, that they will still be the most watched network (including major networks) or are those days now completely behind them?

Eight years ago CNN's ratings were pretty strong, then they fell in a hole regularly coming in third around 2010/2011 even fourth behind HLN on some occasions. So while the comparison to 2008 is valid on some levels, it doesn't take into account the whole picture of the perilous state of the network pre Jeff Zucker. For the ratings to be this high, and to be number one one in the key demo (which is what sells ad space, not total viewers, advertisers don't really care about older viewers because they tend to not to buy stuff compared with younger viewers i.e. 25-54) is an incredible turn around. When was the last time CNN was the fourth most watch cable channel in the U-S? (not news cable channel, but channel).

And its always hard to know what will happen post election night. .  there will be some drop off for everyone. But CNN I think is in a very good place right now

Edited by tipster, 03 March 2016 - 09:25 PM.

#625 Jordy

Jordy

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:15 PM

Whicever it is dressed i.e. demos, Fox pulls in highest total numbers. :)

#626 tipster

tipster

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:18 PM

again total numbers are bragging rights  . .  the demos are money. Advertisers don't care about total viewers, they want the younger viewers i.e. 25-54.  . because they have higher disposable income and buy stuff.

#627 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:27 PM

Looks like they're falling into 3rd place again. Their content seems to be the same every hour. The only thing that changes are the anchors. :/
NEW DAY, BLACK FRIDAY 2015

BERMAN: Have shoppers become hooked on their mobile devices to fill their needs?
PEREIRA: Guilty as charged!
BERMAN: Their shopping needs, I'm talking about. We'll break it down next.
PEREIRA: (gasps) What is wrong with you?!
BERMAN: I don't know!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users