36 replies to this topic

#1 Hamil

Hamil

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:03 PM

Nobody has commented on this yet which is a bit of a surprise. I've got to say that I am shocked at just how deep this thing seems to run. Does anyone think this is the beginning of the end of Murdoch and News Corporation having so much influence or newspapers, or just a small blip that will disappear within a few months?

#2 Gruffny

Gruffny

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:27 AM

The final edition in digital form: http://www.newsofthe...er-article.html
Let's put the NEWS back into Cable NEWS Network.
less World Sport, more World Report.

#3 Samson

Samson

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

Great read from the Guardian on Murdoch, News Corp. etc.

http://www.guardian....h-phone-hacking

#4 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:35 PM

It's sad that such an institution had to closed. But I guess, they had it coming. I am sad for the rest of the loyal journalist.

#5 Dabir

Dabir

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:57 AM

It's easy for people to be gleeful at the prospect of Murdoch's properties failing, but he's got enough hands in different pies to keep him off the streets. It's the everyday worker who loses out big time.

#6 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:17 AM

BSkyB shares slump on Jeremy Hunt letter

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-14103072 If Murdoch does eventually get his hands on all of BSkyB, he must be rubbing his hands with glee watching that share price fall. It'll mean he'll be able to buy the company for a lot less than what he would have had to pay a couple of weeks back. That's *if* his bid to take full control is approved.

#7 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:47 AM

BSkyB shares slump on Jeremy Hunt letter

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-14103072 If Murdoch does eventually get his hands on all of BSkyB, he must be rubbing his hands with glee watching that share price fall. It'll mean he'll be able to buy the company for a lot less than what he would have had to pay a couple of weeks back. That's *if* his bid to take full control is approved.

Well, it's also been reported that Murdoch has been postulating for years about dropping NOTW in favor of a Sunday edition of the Sun in order to cut costs, and some people think that he used this scandal as an excuse to do that. What can I say but that he's a shrewd businessman.

#8 Hamil

Hamil

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

Suddenly, the whole story gets a lot wider. Media now reporting that Gordon Brown will claim that his details were hacked by another News International publication, The Sunday Times. This is snowballing by the hour it seems. http://www.guardian....al-gordon-brown

#9 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:25 PM

The plot is getting thicker minute by minute....:surprised:
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#10 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:58 PM

For all the other Yanks, here's a cheat sheet from the Atlantic showing all the various British papers and their leanings and formats. I found it to be helpful:

Posted Image

#11 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:45 AM

If this turns out to be true, Piers could become radioactive.

#12 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:37 AM

I'm not surprised really. Piers' past has always been somewhat unsettling to me despite his efforts to hide it at CNN (e.g. calling them "newspapers" rather than a tabloids). I wouldn't be surprised if the show gets axed either if this story develops and proves Piers of committing any wrongdoing or if his ratings don't improve. It seems like a lot of the final, desperate acts of Klein, from Pitzer Sparker being cancelled outright to JKUSA being sidelined, are being undone by Jautz.

#13 SimBell

SimBell

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:36 AM

I think its absolutely ridiculous!

CNN anchors who occupy valuable prime time space and repeats should be people you trust, respect and want to hear/see more of. Worthy of the CNN brand.

Piers has never been any of that, and now a major UK/US story comes along where his "journalistic" expertise and experience could actually be valuable - and he's silent!!

Embarrassing! Even canceling the show would be an admission that he was never right for the spot - just like Spitzer

#14 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:51 PM

Sounds like Piers could be called to testify before Parliament. And I read somewhere the BBC is "aggresively pursuing" the story about hacking in Daily Mirror. This could be getting serious...

http://www.businessi...-scandal-2011-7

#15 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:37 AM

Honestly I think this is not that bad for CNN, the more controversial their stars are the better ratings could become.

Also I don't see them dropping him anytime, yes the ratings are not great but somehow he has established himself and seems to be the face of CNN domestic now.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#16 Hamil

Hamil

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:01 AM

Bye bye Brooks! http://www.guardian....hacking-scandal Murdoch and News Corp haave done more backflips than a politician. They so stubbornly stood their ground, I'm interested to know why she resigned now? It's a bit late don't you think? Is there even more damaging revelations about to be made public?

#17 Bubbles

Bubbles

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:06 AM

Can someone please send a search party out for Piers Morgan? The man who sees fit to comment on anything and everything is still remarkably silent on this story. People are suggesting that he is involved and his silence is very telling I feel.

TALENT show host Piers Morgan faces political pressure to testify at the phone hacking inquiry after being “exposed” over a Fleet Street scoop. Three Conservative MPs – Aidan Burley, Nigel Adams and Douglas Carswell – have demanded, via the internet Guido Fawkes blogging site, that the former Daily Mirror editor give evidence over claims a 2002 scoop was linked to phone hacking.

The story, revealing an affair between Ulrika Jonsson and Sven Goran Eriksson, was allegedly the result of hacking into Ms Jonsson’s voicemail.

Mr Morgan, who now hosts a TV chat show on US network CNN, declined to comment last night.

http://www.express.c...sk-Piers-Morgan

Edited by Bubbles, 15 July 2011 - 11:10 AM.

#18 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:08 PM

I feel sorry for the people who lost their jobs at NOW cause of Brooks' ambition. Glad she was forced to resign after all... No way she didn't know about the hacking, she probably came up with the idea. All accounts from people who know her show she was/is ready to do anything for a story...

#19 ukjds

ukjds

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:44 PM

I've no idea how she got where she did; her judgement seems to be consistently appalling! Apparently she declined the opportunity to scoop the UK MP's expenses leak back in 2009 when she was still editor of the NOTW because she thought it wouldn't be a major story! Anyway, her resignation doesn't really do anything for her public image or that of News International as it is way too late.

As for Piers Morgan, I doubt CNN will sack him unless there's a major revelation but unless his ratings improve soon he will probably not have his contract renewed.
Be sure to check out my YouTube channel for presentation from AJE, the BBC and CNN. Updated: 12th September.

#20 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:20 AM

I can forsee a possible scaling back, but nothing as extreme as Ed Miliband seems to be suggesting.

Phone hacking: Murdoch empire must be broken up, says Ed Miliband

http://www.telegraph...d-Miliband.html

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users