93 replies to this topic

#1 Nelly

Nelly

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:11 AM

I guess it's no surprise that the topic for the HLN schedule would start with a complaint. I realize the Casey Anthony coverage did big numbers for the network, but 19 hours of coverage this weekend is just seriously ridiculous.

http://cnnpressroom....thony-coverage/

Weekdays are boring as bat shit usually, weekends take that to a whole new level.
"The one function TV news performs very well is that when there is no news we give it to you with the same emphasis as if there were." (David Brinkley)

#2 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:43 PM

Ewww. What is it with CNN networks and weekend programming? HLN sounds as bad as CNNI on weekends!

#3 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,269 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:48 PM

It's even worse than CNNI normally. Last time I checked, there are only two hours of live news a day on HLN weekends.

#4 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:50 PM

Are you serious? That's disgusting. I know HLN is known as more of a tabloid/infotainment channel now, but 2 hours of live programming for weekends really leaves me speechless. I thought it was bad, I didn't know it was that bad. :(

#5 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:17 PM

The best example of the lack of any serious effort on HLN over the weekend was last night when Casey Anthony got out of jail just after midnight ET.

MSNBC was live for about 30 minutes, FNC was live for a bit more than that, CNNI had a few updates on WR, including a live report from Martin Savidge, CNN US twice abruptly (without intro, in a span of about 10 minutes, missing Martin's live report) broke away from PMT replay for a 2 minute simulcast with CNNI and then abruptly went back to PMT. And HLN? HLN was re-airing one of its endless Casey Anthony specials without giving any information about her release until about 12.30am, when a ticker appeared at the bottom of the screen promissing a special report at 6am.

One would expect they will have someone on-air to break the story, since they covered it so extensively and since all of their anchors/producers were clearly awake posting the news via Twitter.

Btw, the way CNN US covered the story also says a lot what could and probably will be happening once the network drops live programming from 9pm on weekdays. Clearly they had absolutely no one at CNN Center who could drop by a studio and report the story, leaving everything to CNNI and not even being able to simulcast the coverage properly.

Edited by newser, 17 July 2011 - 02:17 PM.

#6 Samson

Samson

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:59 AM

Brian Stelter was commenting on HLN's shocking weekend schedule a few hours ago:

At 6am, HLN produced a 1-hour show about Casey's release. Then re-aired it every single hour til noon, when it produced another 1-hour show.

http://twitter.com/#!/brianstelter/status/92643737473269760

#7 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

Nothing that network does surprises me anymore. Nothing.

#8 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

For HLN, Amy Winehouse is the Big Story Monday

HLN, which dedicated nearly all of its programming to the Casey Anthony trial in recent months, is trying the same tactic with a much more immediate story: the death of pop star Amy Winehouse.

http://www.mediabist...y-monday_b78013

#9 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:41 AM

HLN is about to disassociate itself from news even more than it is now.

http://www.mediabist...on-hours_b80356

#10 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

Just following the example of the mother station CNN/USA

#11 Wilma

Wilma

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:44 AM

Wow. I imagine Ted Turner's heart just breaks with each passing day as he watches them eliminate any sign of HLN's past with these latest moves.

#12 Frankie

Frankie

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:29 AM

Have they revealed what new shows they are creating for afternoons? Is there a possibility Don Lemon could shift to a weekday afternoon show on HLN? His hosting of Joy Behar's show when she is on leave would make a lot more sense if he were to join HLN. Does anyone agree?

#13 Bubbles

Bubbles

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:42 AM

When I first read that I was putting 1 and 1 together, but I think it may just be us getting our speculating caps on. I couldn't see Don wanting to give up his gig on the mothership. I think he's been angling for some time to get more airtime on CNN US. With that said, I could see him doing a show more suited to HLN in its current state. Very sad to read people are losing their jobs, although they may be able to stay on if they apply for one of those new shows.

#14 Samson

Samson

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:44 AM

Did HLN have any sort of special coverage for Hurricane Irene this past weekend?

#15 Bilka

Bilka

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:10 PM

Nicole Lapin has apparently been meeting with HLN executives after announcing the formation of her new production company. I wonder if we could see her production company producing some sort of content for HLN in the future or if the executives are trying to woo her into one of those afternoon slots they are revamping soon?

http://www.observer....uoting-tolstoy/

#16 EvanBourne

EvanBourne

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:26 PM

Gavel to gavel coverage of the Conrad Murray trial coming next week:

http://tvbythenumber...-murray/104474/

#17 Nelly

Nelly

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:01 AM

Oh, yay! *sarcasm* I guess there will be significant interest in the trial, but should HLN really be covering court cases gavel to gavel? Don't Turner have TruTV for things like that?
"The one function TV news performs very well is that when there is no news we give it to you with the same emphasis as if there were." (David Brinkley)

#18 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:30 PM

I truly hope this doesn't turn into another circus. I guess ratings are good regardless of how you achieve them. :sarcastic:

#19 Bilka

Bilka

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:54 PM

If HLN takes the trial live for all sessions, does this mean that CNNUS won't take any coverage? That's probably a good thing if they keep it of the main CNN channel, but bad for HLN viewers during the day.

#20 Lance

Lance

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:49 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath. During the Casey Anthony trial, every time Casey went to the stand, CNN carried the proceedings live and without breaks, as if both TruTV and HLN weren't already covering it. The same thing will probably happen whenever Murray takes the stand.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users