Photo

Early Start

234 replies to this topic

#21 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:19 PM

:no: :sarcastic: So this is a regular seghment? Randomly waking up people and acting all crazy about it. Ashleigh seems obnoxious and so over the top.

AM with Kiran and John was a serious and normal news show, this seems like something totally oposite. CNN trying to outFox Fox. :ninja:
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#22 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:19 AM

"Jon Stewart Skewers CNN’s Early Start For Their ‘Wake ‘Em Up’ Segment" http://www.mediaite....-em-up-segment/

#23 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

:rofl:

But seriously, they call a woman at 5/6am to ask her about tragedies that happened to her. :ninja:

I have a feeling this show and especially Ashleigh will be a great source of material for Stewart. :taped:
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#24 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:50 AM

As I've stated previously, I really like Banfield, but she has been a disappointment thus far. Her list of misdemeanours is fast adding up. The latest, responding to Jon Stewart's piss take of the early morning phone calls. I wish CNN would put a ban on all of their talent from responding to, or addressing, criticism from a comedian. At the end of the day, it's the CNN talent that comes off looking like the clowns.

http://www.mediaite....d-thicker-skin/

#25 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:56 AM

I feel it's now fair for me to give a fuller review of this show now...

It's very similar to American Morning, if not identical, in terms of content. However, they clearly have allowed for much more anchor banter time, which drives me crazy. I read good things about Banfield before she started, but her overbearing perkiness is getting to me. It appears as if she's trying to be too peppy. Zoraida is much more toned down, and I actually quite like her as an anchor. Their chemistry is much more awkward than the previous AM team. They didn't put much effort into the graphics, and the set is nothing but the old AM set painted blue and with a plasma screen (most likely to obscure some old AM branding).

Aside from hiring two new anchors to do the show, almost everything about it feels like CNN put very little effort into this.

Edited by Charles, 13 January 2012 - 11:56 AM.

#26 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:34 AM

I've always respected Ashleigh's work, but I don't remember her being this wired. We all can clearly see that she is the "alpha" anchor. Do hope she takes it down a notch, the attention grabbing moments truly aren't necessary.
I actually find this show an easy watch, something I could not say about American Morning. It of course follows the same CNN/USA template. The few differences are more than likely from the anchors.
Luv it when Christine comes on talking biz. Didn't think she was right for American Morning. Here, I think she is a great fit and will be interesting to see if she will become the fill-in for A and Z.

#27 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:11 AM

Consider the source. They were the first to suggest Amanpour returning to CNN last year, tho!

A Lack of chemistry is already plaguing CNN’s new morning show “Early Start” as it attempts to gain footing one month after the launch. Hosts Ashleigh Banfield and Zoraida Sambolin “have expressed frustration about the schizophrenic nature of the show,” a source said. Another source said they just don’t gel — Banfield talks too much, Sambolin doesn’t say enough. Meanwhile, executives are looking to support Soledad O’Brien — who anchors the following morning show “Starting Point” solo, with a regular crop of panelists — and have expressed interest in adding conservative commentator Will Cain and liberal commentator Roland Martin to the cast. We also hear that executives are thinking about developing an 11 p.m. show. A network rep denies this, adding, “We couldn’t be more pleased with Soledad and the direction she is taking her program. Her newsmaking interviews and substantive panel discussions are the centerpiece of the program. Ashleigh and Zoraida are doing great.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...N#ixzz1lD5RPWpD

#28 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

They read that article this morning:

#29 Shinta

Shinta

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

^^ I noticed they didn't exactly deny the story in that clip. :boxing: I do agree with the point about Ashleigh talking too much, tho! :D

#30 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

You guys beat me to it! I read the Page 6 article this morning and thought, oh I gotta post this on CNNFAN. Y'all are too good.

Can I just say that the most disturbing part of the article is "have expressed interest in adding conservative commentator Will Cain and CNN analyst Roland Martin to the cast" of Starting Point with Soledad. Are they out of their minds??? I haven't watched much of Early Start but from what I've seen, I agree, there isn't much chemistry. As for Starting Point, Soledad is a solid reporter but the show is terrible in part because she is always trying to get Will and Roland under control. Will is utterly obnoxious and it seems he has made his living spouting stupid opinions on TV and yet never having any real responsibility. This morning show experiment is going downhill fast.

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...N#ixzz1lEjy3XWt

#31 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

One interesting bit in the article as well is the possibility of a new 11pmET show

#32 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

One interesting bit in the article as well is the possibility of a new 11pmET show

Yeah, I wonder what that is about? Surely, they don't mean that one of these morning people will be yanked to do an evening program? Then again, Ashleigh's energy level is better suited for an evening show :D Does she inject Red Bull in her veins right before air time?

#33 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

It's quite interesting CNN denied everything about the two morning shows, but didn't say a word about this 11pm show, which could be interpreted as a confirmation of sorts. But, my sense is we're still a long way before we hear anything about this, if there is anything in the plans.

#34 MikeN

MikeN

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:59 AM

CNN should do a half hour 11pm show (from LA?) and moniker it as the only LIVE news at 11. Have it be a rundown/analysis of what happened today and a look ahead to what's on tap for tomorrow. It's a tough slot in the Eastern market as viewers might flock to local news-- but West coast viewers will appreciate it. At 11:30 air the second half hour of Burnett. It works, IMO.

Edited by MikeN, 03 February 2012 - 01:59 AM.

#35 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:28 AM

Just added this show to my no longer watch list. They should change the name from Early Start to Early Newsroom because that's all it is. Some of these anchors, you just have to wonder, do they feel this is enough? I just don't know how can it be?
All I have to say is, thank goodness BBC World comes on at the same time.

#36 Shinta

Shinta

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:56 AM

CNN might have got an early start by getting a live show on air at 5am before Fox, but they've got a long, long, long way to go before they become competitive.

Viewers (Total / A254-54)

FNC: Fox & Friends First - 411,000 / 165,000
MSNBC: First Look/Way Too Early - 202,000 / 93,000
CNN: Early Start - 143,000 / 75,000

http://www.mediabist...ly-lead_b116124

#37 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

So, bring back Monita and Zain!

#38 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:16 AM

ICN puts Early Start and Starting Point over the coals, and rightfully so. CNN hasn't had ratings this low in the morning in a decade.

http://insidecablene...ratings-crisis/

For what it's worth, I thought AM was somewhat tolerable in the last few months before it was replaced. I can't warm up to Ashleigh, and I feel like both shows focus way too much on the election— noticeably more so than AM. And Starting Point, with the 360º setting and a panel of pundits, is a poor, poor copy of Morning Joe. Why imitate when you can innovate?

#39 magnel69

magnel69

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

So, bring back Monita and Zain!

Agree. Point taken.

#40 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

How long has CNN had "Weekend Early Start"? I noticed Randi Kaye tweeted about it this morning and it's on the schedule from 6:00 - 7:30 a.m. ET both Saturday and Sunday but haven't seen it myself.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users