CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:25 PM

.:Source: CNN Pressroom
.:Link: http://www.turnerinf...6c-098f8c9a0d82

CNN en Español is now 10 years old!

CNN en Español, the innovative and top-rated Spanish-language news network in Latin America, marks its 10th anniversary with a series of initiatives and programming throughout the year highlighting the events and personalities that have made major news in Latin America and throughout the world over the past decade.

Today, the network unveils a commemorative anniversary logo on air to mark 10 years of broadcasting that began on March 17, 1997, and now reaches more than 21 million Spanish speakers throughout Latin America, which includes 3.6 million in the United States.

"We are proud to commemorate our tenth anniversary, which marks a milestone in the history of Spanish-language television journalism," says Christopher Crommett, the network's senior vice president. "CNN en Español is the most trusted source for news among our loyal audience in Latin America and, increasingly, among Spanish speakers in the United States. And our reach even extends to Canada, Spain, and Japan where segments of our programming are aired. We are grateful for the confidence our audience has shown us for the past ten years, and we have laid the groundwork to serve our discerning audience even better in the future."

#2 Arrapare

Arrapare

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:26 AM

CNN en Español got a exclusive interview with hugo Chavez and there was even a bit on it on BackStory today. http://edition.cnn.c...niot.chavez.cnn

CNNE has been showing up a lot on CNNI lately!!!!
My forum friends on twitter:
yazmanian_devil morpium Leroy greekdude ginnyfan peramirez dezbee2008 goursote Spitfire
My CNN friends on twitter:
Jennifer delgado Kristie Lu Stout Jim clancy Rosemary Church Kyra Philips Mark McKay Errol Barnett Backstory
http://www.twitter.com/arrapare

#3 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for the link!
And yeah, CNNI has been showing a lot of CNNE lately because after all, CNNI has to cover Latin American stories (it's a part of the world), and CNNE specialize on these events, so they are very qualified to do this. It shows the sisterhood of both channels.

By the way, Harris Whitebeck used to be the bridge between CNNI and CNNE. CNNE already filled Whitbeck's position in Mexico. Has someone replaced him on CNNI already?

I saw the interview live and Patricia was great. Interviewing someone like Hugo Chavez is really difficult because the answers usually end up being improvised ideological speeches.
But with Chavez... wow! She was always one step in front of him, asked for direct answers and got a few ones (the ones who couldn't get imply his silence on issues like crime in Caracas). Got him to clarify his positions on energy and FARC. And when Chavez didn't like one of the questions and asked Patricia to change subject, she calmly replied: Let me do my work, and you do yours.

ON THE VIDEO: They could have found a way to add the ñ on "CNN en Español", or at least put a N. :lol:
"This new management is not one that tolerates any questions. The changes are alienating the public who has been loyal to the network for so many years. They're looking for a new audience. But if you read the comments on the social network sites, the viewers are not pleased with what they see on the air."
Former CNÑer Alberto Padilla to MediaMoves.com

#4 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:43 AM

I came across a blog that features a lot of pictures and videos of CNN en Español, with a particular focus on Patricia Janiot.

You can view the blog (which is in Spanish) here or translated into English by Google here

#5 Arrapare

Arrapare

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:24 PM

Nice find. There's a lot of awesome pics on that blog!
yazmanian_devil morpium Leroy greekdude ginnyfan peramirez dezbee2008 goursote Spitfire
Jennifer delgado Kristie Lu Stout Jim clancy Rosemary Church Kyra Philips Mark McKay Errol Barnett Backstory

#6 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:34 AM

The blog offers photos and videos of some of the women of CNNE.
The main focus in on Claudia Palacios, anchor of Mirador Mundial ("World Viewpoint"), the weekend newscast.
It also features:
Patricia Janiot, main anchor of the network
Gabriela Frias of En Efectivo ("In Cash", a personal finances weekday show) and Al Cierre ("At the Closing")
Ana Maria Montero of Escenario ("On Stage", a weekly showbiz magazine)
Xante Tilden (who does the fashion segments on the newscasts Encuentro and Nuestro Mundo)
Sasha Rionda of Detalles ("Details", a monthly life-style show) Those who watch CNNI may remember her as host of The Music Room (2002).

The blog also follows Patricia Janiot on CNN Today Hong Kong Edition and Gabriela Frias on World Business Today.

It also follows news about CNN en Español's programming and offers comments about newscasts, shows, anchors and reporters of the Porque Usted necesita saber siempre network.
"This new management is not one that tolerates any questions. The changes are alienating the public who has been loyal to the network for so many years. They're looking for a new audience. But if you read the comments on the social network sites, the viewers are not pleased with what they see on the air."

#7 Arrapare

Arrapare

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:13 AM

CNN Correspondent Now the Communist Candidate in El Salvador

The presidential candidate of the Farabundo Marti National Liberation Front (FMLN), the communist revolutionaries in El Salvador the Reagan administration battled in the 1980s, is, a Monday Washington Post story noted, a former correspondent for CNN en Espanol. In the March 9 article, In El Salvador Vote, Big Opportunity for Leftists, reporter William Booth relayed from San Salvador that the journalist-turned-politician considers himself to be El Salvador's Barack Obama. Booth relayed:

After a 12-year civil war and a peace undermined by soaring crime, leftists in El Salvador are on the verge of completing a remarkable journey from armed struggle to the presidential palace.

Their candidate is a veteran TV broadcaster and morning talk show host, Mauricio Funes, whose Facebook page lists his political views as other. Funes, 49, a former correspondent for CNN en Español, was recently recruited by the Farabundo Marti National Liberation Front (FMLN), the revolutionary group-turned-mainstream political party that is favored by polls to win the presidency in a vote scheduled for March 15....

#8 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:13 PM

Mauricio Funes wasn't a CNNE correspondent, but an ocasional reporter for the network. He was a freelance reporter. I remember watching him from time to time reporting from San Salvador. When he started its pursuit of the Presidential post for the FMLN, the agreement between CNNE and Mr. Funes was off.
CNN en Español tried to co-host a Presidential debate in El Salvador as a part of the series Foro Presidencial (Presidential Forum "name of the country here"), but Funes' rival, Mr. Evila rejected the invitation and asked for a change in the format of the show (allowing the participation of everyone's VP candidate).
Some said the real reason evila turned down the chance to appear in the event (that didn't take place) was because there was this previous relationship between CNNE and Mr. Funes, and didn't think the debate would play fair.
CNNE has co-organized (with a local TV station) Presidential debates in several countries in Latin America since 2005. The debates air live in all CNNE feeds and the local station. It is moderated by a CNNE anchor and an anchor of the local station. Duration: 1 hour.
Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Guatemala and Paraguay have seen their candidates passing the test. However, in Colombia and Nicaragua the eventual winner didn't participate.
In the Dominican Republic, they inserted a new concept that changed the debate with prime-time interviews that each night presented a different Presidential candidate.

#9 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

So, Mauricio Funes is the President-elect of El Salvador.
Last night, in the coverage of Election Night in El Salvador, there was no mention (at least I didn't hear it) of Mr. Funes' previous work for CNN en Español. Claudia Palacios mentioned that he built his popularity thanks to his work in national and international media, but she didn't say there used to have a relationship with the now President-elect.
Tonight, Patricia Janiot is having an exclusive interview with Mr. Funes, as CNNE does it with every Latin American President-elect the day after the election. I'll watch how the interview goes.

And once more, someone who had a relationship with a CNN network gets a high public office. Remember Princess Letizia of Asturias (future Queen of Spain)? She used to be an anchor for CNN+.

#10 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,269 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:28 PM

I noticed that they omitted that piece of information all day today, but Kristie mentioned it on her Twitter page.

#11 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:45 PM

Fionnuala mentioned it on Quest Means Business but I didn't watch to see if she mentioned it during World News Europe.

#12 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:17 PM

Today, March 17, 2009, is CNN en Español's 12th birthday/anniversary. Congrats, CNNE!

#13 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:45 PM

Congrats CNNe! Have they made any mention of it on air today?

#14 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:37 PM

Yes, I was able to watch a short reference at the end of Nuestro Mundo, nothing big. Probably saving it for the 15th anniversary.
CNNE is now full of the En busca de la recuperacion coverage (similar to CNN International's Road to Recovery). In response to some criticism, in Al Cierre the three anchors (one of them from a supermarket) spent the last 3 minutes of the show defending the network's decision to air the special explaining that they are indeed featuring bad economic news but also strategies to survive them.

#15 goursote

goursote

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:29 PM

Does CNN en espanol have it's own boss and who is it or is Tony Maddox their boss,too?

#16 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:44 PM

Yes, Tony Maddox is ultimately the boss.
But everything passes through this guy: Christopher Crommett.

And the lovely Patricia Janiot is the advisor to Mr. Crommett and manager of the network.

#17 kauefranqueirafan

kauefranqueirafan

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:42 AM

Pramirez, I am here in Brazil and my tv operator SKY Brasil is not broadcasting CNNen español, I'm outdated, who is the journalist who appears in this video talking with Patricia?

(in spanish) ello es mario gonzales presentador de Mexico perspectiva?

#18 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:43 AM

The one at the beggining anchoring Encuentro is Ismael Cala, who used to be a collaborator from Toronto and then Miami. He was filling in for Patricia last week and is currently filling in for Daniel Viotto.

1:01 The one that she was talking with during Directo desde EE.UU. (with the split screen) was indeed Mario Gonzalez, of CNN Mexico: Perspectivas.

After that, you know, Alberto Padilla, Ione Molinares, Kristie Lu Stout.
Patricia has a lot of work in front of the cameras these days.

#19 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:26 AM

I asked the same question in the IBN topic I thought I'd ask it here for CNNe as well. Does CNNe ever simulcast breaking news coverage of CNNI? And do CNNI reporters or anchors ever appear on CNNe, like they do on CNNI?

#20 Gruffny

Gruffny

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:09 AM

Sorry for the ignorance, but is this website related to CNN en Espanol? http://www.cnnexpansion.com
Let's put the NEWS back into Cable NEWS Network.
less World Sport, more World Report.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users