79 replies to this topic

#1 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:26 PM

CNN en Español is not available to me but it is good to have someone here discussing it. Do you watch it very often? Are you able to describe the schedule etc?

I'm very interested to hear how people think the CNN en Español channel compares to say, CNN International and that.

#2 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:14 PM

Well, actually the CNNE schedule is very similar to the one CNNI had a few years ago. 30 minutes of news and then specialized news shows focused on sports, business, health, tech, travel, showbiz, interview and debate.

CNNE has its version of World Report, El Mundo Informa, that airs on weekends, a monthly show called Agenda Ejecutiva that is similar to CNNI's Business Traveler and its version of Living Golf, named Vive el Golf, that is also a monthly show.

There's only one 1-hour newscast, called Encuentro con Daniel Viotto. In 2008, CNNE added a second edition of only 30 minutes that airs two hours after the first edition starts. Currently, there's no co-anchored newscast as this second edition replaced Las Noticias, which was co-anchored by Patricia Janiot and Daniel Viotto.

Most of the programming comes from Atlanta, but there are some shows that are produced in Mexico City.

The line-up of the newscasts is very irregular, but it is something like this:
- Al D�/i] ("Up to date", morning show) has news, business, a look at Latin American newspapers, sports and showbiz news.
- Nuestro Mundo ("Our world", midday/afternoon show) features news, business, health and fashion news.
- Al Cierre ("At the Closing") is an afternoon business newscast that focus on the NYSE right after the closing bell.
- Encuentro ("Meeting") has news, business, sports, showbiz, health, travel and completes the hour with interviews to newsmakers and reports about how to improve family life.
- Directo desde EE.UU. ("Live from the U.S.") is a newscast dedicated to cover U.S. news.
- Panorama Mundial ("World View") is the flagship newscast, with news and interviews and tends to focus more on politics and social issues than on business news.
- Mirador Mundial ("World Viewpoint") is the weekend newscast that has news, sports and completes the half-hour with a "what's going to the happen on the week" segment, interviews and special reports following news of the last week.
- Econom�y Finanzas ("Economy and Finances", 30 minutes of business news and interviews) and Deportes CNN ("Sports CNN", 30 minutes of sports) air every night and overnight.
- CNN M�co: Perspectivas ("CNN Mexico: In Perspective") is a newscast that airs every night only on the Mexico and U.S. feed that takes an in-depth look at Mexican news.

All newscasts are oriented to Latin American audiences and latinos in the U.S., so there's special attention to news about inmigration and personal finances. Latin American stories are presented before global stories unless big global news such as the Middle East crisis or Mumbai attacks.

"This new management is not one that tolerates any questions. The changes are alienating the public who has been loyal to the network for so many years. They're looking for a new audience. But if you read the comments on the social network sites, the viewers are not pleased with what they see on the air."
Former CNÑer Alberto Padilla to MediaMoves.com

#3 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:52 AM

Wow; you taught me a lot of the channel peramirez; thankyou very much for sharing with us. Welcome aboard!!!

#4 kauefranqueirafan

kauefranqueirafan

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:56 PM

I made some changes in the programming of CNN en espanol, see
Atlanta Time.

0600 Buenos Dias America (Good Morning America) with Carlos Montero, Cenia Beltre
0900 Hoy en Mercados (Today on Markets) With Gabriela Frias
1000 Buenos Doas America with Glenda Umaa
1100 Centro de noticias (News Center) with Rick Sanchez
1200 Centro de Noticias with Glenda Umaa
1400 Centro de Noticias with Guillermo Arduino
1600 Al Cierre (Closing Bell) with Alberto Padilla, Luiz Carlos Velez
1800 Encuentro (Meeting) with Daniel Viotto
2000 Directo desde EE.UU (From USA) with Patricia Janiot
2100 El Mirador (The Viewpoint) with Claudia Palacios
2200 CNN Mexico Perspectivas (CNN Mexico Perspective) with Mario Gonzales
2300 Panorama Mundial (World View) with Patricia Janiot
0000 Replay

#5 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:57 PM

Good programming! I'd like having Claudia Palacios on weekdays. And the schedule should end the era of rerun-newscasts that CNNE has since 1997.
I could improve it with some details:
The morning show should stay Al dia, the expression is common for Spanish speakers, implies a word game with many uses, although I know the translation in English doesn't fit well. Also, the morning show of Fox Sports Latin America is Buen dia, America.
I'd like having a business show at 9, but I would keep the name of the current personal finances program En efectivo (another word game that literally means "In Cash" but among many uses also implies "Of course" or "Effectivelly"), that now airs weekdays at 10:30, 12:30 and 17:30 ET.
Most of Latin American forums don't like at all having Rick Sanchez on a segment on Nuestro Mundo so I don't think he could be a good addition to CNNE as an anchor. However, I like the name Centro de Noticias as a replacement for Nuestro Mundo. It would be interesting to have Guillermo Arduino as a weekday anchor, too.
Two hours of Encuentro are a really good idea.
I would have a primetime divided into the two feeds of CNNE.
Mexico/U.S. feed would have Directo desde EE.UU. at 20:00 ET and CNN Mexico: Perspectivas at 22:00 with the talk show Aristegui following at 22:30. Today, M:P and Aristegui air live only in Mexico/US. DDEU airs live on all feeds but its reruns air only in Mexico/US.
Latin American feed would have Claudia Palacios at 20:00 with Mirador Latinoamericano. At 22:00 I would have Patricia Janiot starting Panorama Mundial.
At 21:00 both feeds would broadcast a 1-hour talk/debate/analysis show, some sort of Spanish speaking version of Larry King Live. It would be awesome if Jorge Gestoso, former CNNE main anchor, came back to host the show.
At 23:00 both feeds would broadcast a second hour of Panorama Mundial. After all, today the second, third and fourth reruns of the newscast are only shown in Latin America, while Mexican and U.S. audiences watch M:P, Aristegui and DDEU.
At 0:00 I would repeat Gestoso's show.
What do you think?
"This new management is not one that tolerates any questions. The changes are alienating the public who has been loyal to the network for so many years. They're looking for a new audience. But if you read the comments on the social network sites, the viewers are not pleased with what they see on the air."

#6 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:34 PM

Good programming! I'd like having Claudia Palacios on weekdays. And the schedule should end the era of rerun-newscasts that CNNE has since 1997.
I could improve it with some details:
The morning show should stay Al dia, the expression is common for Spanish speakers, implies a word game with many uses, although I know the translation in English doesn't fit well. Also, the morning show of Fox Sports Latin America is Buen dia, America.
I'd like having a business show at 9, but I would keep the name of the current personal finances program En efectivo (another word game that literally means "In Cash" but among many uses also implies "Of course" or "Effectivelly"), that now airs weekdays at 10:30, 12:30 and 17:30 ET.
Most of Latin American forums don't like at all having Rick Sanchez on a segment on Nuestro Mundo so I don't think he could be a good addition to CNNE as an anchor. However, I like the name Centro de Noticias as a replacement for Nuestro Mundo. It would be interesting to have Guillermo Arduino as a weekday anchor, too.
Two hours of Encuentro are a really good idea.
I would have a primetime divided into the two feeds of CNNE.
Mexico/U.S. feed would have Directo desde EE.UU. at 20:00 ET and CNN Mexico: Perspectivas at 22:00 with the talk show Aristegui following at 22:30. Today, M:P and Aristegui air live only in Mexico/US. DDEU airs live on all feeds but its reruns air only in Mexico/US.
Latin American feed would have Claudia Palacios at 20:00 with Mirador Latinoamericano. At 22:00 I would have Patricia Janiot starting Panorama Mundial.
At 21:00 both feeds would broadcast a 1-hour talk/debate/analysis show, some sort of Spanish speaking version of Larry King Live. It would be awesome if Jorge Gestoso, former CNNE main anchor, came back to host the show.
At 23:00 both feeds would broadcast a second hour of Panorama Mundial. After all, today the second, third and fourth reruns of the newscast are only shown in Latin America, while Mexican and U.S. audiences watch M:P, Aristegui and DDEU.
At 0:00 I would repeat Gestoso's show.
What do you think?

Thanks so much for your wonderful posts about CNN en Español. CNN domestic and CNNI are the main focus here, but it is so good to get perspective and news from the rest of the CNN family as well. It just goes to prove how broad this forum really is.

I look forward to reading more of your analysis and thoughts on CNN en Español in the future. Thanks muchly.

#7 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:04 PM

Thanks Charles, Riceo, Morpium and all of you here... I already feel I'm home and it is great to find people outside Latin America who are interested in CNNE even though it is not available worldwide.

CNNE is my first source of information because I feel more comfortable receiving news in Spanish, but I also follow CNNI whenever I can, specially on weekends when CNNE doesn't air any live newscast until late afternoon (actually, CNNI may have a similar problem on weekends).

I'll try to update features from CNNE whenever I can, and respond to any question from a viewer's point of view, and from a CNN fan point of view.

Right now, I've checked some blogs (including the one mentioned by Morpium) and some viewers and fans are waiting for a revamp of the network. No word about if that's actually going to happen any time soon. The current lower thirds were premiered on February 2006 (a week after CNNI) and the "coming up" graphics, and many opening graphics have been in use since 2002.
Some changes have occurred on CNNE: the studio in Atlanta has been modernized last year unifying the look of the sets of non-newscasts programs such as iSalud!, Clix (Guillermo Arduino's show), En Efectivo and Deportes CNN. You can watch a little bit of the set during En Efectivo here and here.
Directo desde EE.UU. got a new set, also used in Economia y Finanzas, but without the desk (the anchor stands between the desk and the screen).
Encuentro got wider screens.
The quality of the content of the newscasts is very good, but it is time for a graphics revamp to refresh the network's look.

#8 kauefranqueirafan

kauefranqueirafan

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

I like to watch CNN en español , but in the morning and afternoon of weekend is much repeated program, they should have more programs live on weekends.

Example

0700-1100a ET AL Dia Weekend with Martha Sandoval
1300-1600p ET Nuestro Mundo Weekend with Viviana Fernandez

#9 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:20 PM

Yes, they should really change that. Until 2003, CNNE had weekend editions of the morning program, back then called Primera Edicien. But the whole AOL-failure led to the channel to abandon weekend news (by the way, it was the day of the Columbia shuttle tragedy).
It is really a big issue when they have breaking news on Saturdays and Sundays, having a producer covering until a weekday regular anchor appears and goes on through the morning and afternoon. For example, today there's a referendum in Venezuela. They have Luis Carlos Valez, one of the three anchors of Al Cierre covering the story hour after hour, and I guess he will just stop when in late afternoon the first edition of Mirador Mundial starts and Claudia Palacios takes over, who will stay on the air until midnight ET.
And in a regular weekend, the programming is still a mess... The weekend editions of Economia y Finanzas, Aristegui and En Efectivo are all over the schedule. These editions present the best of the week and are repeated so many times, that if I really want to watch them every single time, I feel like I could memorize everything that it's said.

#10 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:06 PM

I love reading about CNN en Español too. Thanks peramirez!

Does CNN en Español broadcast live news bulletins 24 hours a day? Or do they go into repeats overnights like CNN US?

#11 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:39 PM

Well, live newscasts are scheduled at 5:00, 7:00, 9:00, 11:00, 14:00, 16:00 and then during primetime ET. CNNE repeats the newscasts for the rest of the hours in daytime programming. (The 5:00 edition goes at 6:00 again, for example).
The news bulletins, named Ahora ("Now"), follow the same line as Headlines in CNNI, leading to a non-newscast show. Most of the bulletins are live and last 1-2 minutes. Weekend bulletins (because of the lack of newscasts in the morning and afternoon) last 2-5 minutes.
The last newscast CNNE presents weekdays goes at 1:00 ET, and it is a rerun of Directo desde EE.UU.. After that, CNNE has a messy schedule in which they present reruns of specialized shows: Economia y Finanzas (business, at 1:30, 3:00 and 4:30), Deportes CNN (sports, at 2:00 and 4:00) and the weekly shows about health, family, tech, showbiz and travel (at 2:30 and 3:30).
The news bulletins overnight are reruns of the last live bulletin which is presented at 12:30 ET by main anchor Patricia Janiot after her show ends.
If there are breaking news overnight, CNNE usually carries CNNI's signal with voiceover, of course, until a regular anchor takes the coverage. Sometimes they get a producer announcing the news and other times morning anchor Carlos Montero starts early, specially if the story comes from Latin America.

EDIT: Where I am, a "bulletin" is a fast look at today's top stories, not a newscasts. I now understand, though, that outside Latin America a "bulletin" is actually a complete newscast with reporters and in-depth look at the news. Sorry for the vocabulary mess.

#12 kauefranqueirafan

kauefranqueirafan

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:19 PM

New Idea for programming of CNN en espanol

ET
0700 Buenos dias with Carlos Montero, Viviana Fernandez
0930 Econimia y Finanzas with Gabriela Frias
1000 Buenos dias with Carlos Montero
1100 Nuestro Mundo with Glenda Umaa, Rick Sanchez
1230 Rotating Programme
1300 Nuestro Mundo with Glenda Umaa
1500 Nuestro Mundo with Guillermo Arduino
1600 Al Cierre with Alberto Padilla, Gabriela Frias
1730 Rotating Programme
1800 Encuentro with Daniel Viotto
1900 Directo desde EE.UU with Patricia Janiot
2000 Aristegui with Carmen Aristegui (Talk Show from Mexico)
2100 El mundo with Patricia Janiot (Talk Show)
2200 CNN Mexico Perspectivas with Mario Gonzales
2230 Economia y finanzas with Alberto Padilla
2300 Panorama Mundial with Daniel Viotto
2330 Rotating Programme

#13 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:33 PM

CNNE says in its website that on June 11, the network will broadcast a special about Jose Levy, Jerusalem correspondent. The show is called Testigo de la Historia ("Witness of History").
The show will commemorate the 20th anniversary of Levy reporting in Spanish for CNN (first for the CNNI's Noticiero CNN and since 1997 for CNN en Español). It will review the most memorable moments covered by Levy and the change of the world in these two decades.
He has covered the fall of the Berlin wall, the break-up of the USSR, the assassination of Itzhak Rabmn, the death of Pope John Paul II, the terrorist attacks in Madrid and the day to day of the Middle East Conflict, among other major stories.
In an interview in 2007, when commemorating CNNE's 10 years, he said: "I'm a product of globalization. I was born in Africa (in a Spanish city, don't remember if Ceuta or Melilla) and educated in Europe. I currently work in Asia (Middle East) for an American company".

Posted Image

#14 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:14 PM

The special about Jose Levy's 20 years working for CNN aired on Tuesday, June 16. He hosted it from the CNN International studio in Atlanta and told some interesting stories about his major coverages. He even made fun of his accent.
Some parts:
*He was in Moscow on January 1, 2000, and said he felt part of a sci-fi thing because he was "reporting in a milenium completely different to the one viewers were watching in". (You know, time zones between Moscow and Latin America).
*On 2005, in Rome, he wasn't sure of the color of the smoke that, if white, would indicate that a new Pope had been elected. The special shows the clip when they've got the confirmation and a very surprised Glenda Umaa exclaiming "Aaaahhhh, now, yes".
I saw they uploaded the special at cnn.com/video, under the name of "Levy Testigo de la Historia" in the "Mundo" section of the "Español" tab.

Double logo because it used to be in a lower position of the screen back then, with those horrible 2003-2006 graphics).

#15 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:05 PM

Big changes are coming to CNN en Espanol soon, and I'm not happy. That's because it seems the network is reducing its weekend newscasts and on weekdays we're going to get more repeats of previous newscasts (means less live newscasts).
I only miss one show in my guide. Al Cierre is apparently out of the CNN en Espanol schedule and being replaced by more editions of Nuestro Mundo. Al Cierre airs at 4:00pm ET and it's not on my schedule for this Friday, so I'll let you know in an hour if something else changes.

EDIT: Ojo Critico, CNNE's weekly show that reviews movies is nowhere to be seen in the schedule, as well as El Mundo Informa, the Spanish version of World View/Report.
La Noticia de la Semana (a review of the most important news of the week) is all over the schedule on Saturdays, airing various times in the morning. What amazes me is that it will also air at 2:00pm, 3:00pm and 4:00pm. It is a taped show with old news. Why will they do that?

EDIT 4:00pm: Ok, Al Cierre's on and everything's normal. I like having Alberto Padilla and Gabriela Frias at this hour sharing business news after the closing bell. I really hope the schedule changes are just a mistake.

EDIT 5:00pm: In the Al Cierre rerun I noticed they said they were continuing the show for a bit long.

#16 Gruffny

Gruffny

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:18 AM

I hope, for your sake, those changes are mistakes too. If they aren't, it sounds like CNNe is going the way CNNI did some 18 months ago and dropping a lot of their live news shows on weekends.
Let's put the NEWS back into Cable NEWS Network.
less World Sport, more World Report.

#17 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:13 PM

Thanks, Gruffny, but starting today, CNNE is dropping 2 hours of live news:
-At 5am ET, there's a repeat of the 11pm (!) ET newscast.
-At 12pm ET, there's a repeat of the 11pm talk show that only Mexicans (!) get to watch. The rest of the continent used to watch this show at 4:30pm and on weekends, but apparently now it is suitable to air in the middle of daytime programming replacing a newscast!

#18 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:25 PM

Lately I feel like every time I come to the forum, I do it to post how disappointed I am with CNN en Espanol. Today they changed the best hour in their daily schedule. The 1 hour long Encuentro con Daniel Viotto, a newscast with guests and interviews, but mostly, news, has morphed into this: in-depth coverage of few stories of the day... But there are no experts, just the anchor talking endlessly (if it weren't for Claudia Palacios, I would have fallen asleep). To be honest, sports anchor Diego Bustos joined her during the first minutes, but it was still boring. Everything they said about the results of the World Cup Qualifiers was a repeat of everything I heard on Sunday on Fox Sports and ESPN and ESPN+.

I don't know how they do it on CNN International and CNN/US, but when an anchor is going to read stuff published by regular folks on Facebook or Twitter, shouldn't he/she/the producer choose which responses are going to be read before they are on the air? Many responses read by Claudia were not even related to the question. She was skimming the FB page and saying "this person didn't answer the question", "this one didn't, either", "neither did this one"...

To make it worse, they made it a 30-minute show followed by the 1,814,567th repeat of the day of En Efectivo. To make it "worser" (they never taught us this word, so thanks, Keith!), the show has a repeat two hours after the live edition. In the middle, they have a US-oriented newscast (no, thanks!)

The hour I used to rely on for international news from CNN en Espanol today used its time to "cover" this stories:
-World Cup Qualifiers results (from Saturday!), with some "did you know it?" info I really think I could happily live without
-A strike in Mexico, report by Mario Gonzalez
-The "new" single by Michael Jackson
-Nobel Prize laureates in the field of Economics

I'm not quitting on the forum, nor CNN en Espanol. But if I had the chance to watch another international news channel, I would (quit on CNN en Espanol, not the forum).

#19 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:46 AM

That is certainly sad news for CNN en Espanol viewers. Except for a couple of hours here and there, CNN is a wasteland on weekends. I wish these networks would understand that we all don't work banker hours, and sometimes the only time we've got to catch up with the world in on the weekends. I've gone slightly off topic, but I hope those changes don't last long for CNN en Espanol. From your post, it definitely sounds like a step backwards, here's hoping those in charge see it that way too!

#20 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:07 AM

Verizon Communications will give FiOS TV customers free access to its starter Spanish-language package, which comprises 27 channels including CNN en Espanol, Discovery Familia, EPSN Deportes and Gol TV, the week of Oct. 19-25.
The freeview - which the telco called "a salute to Spanish Heritage Month," which runs Sept. 15-Oct. 15 - will let viewers tune in to CNN's two-part documentary series, CNN Presents: Latino in America on Oct. 21 and 22 at 9 p.m. (ET). The special, reported by Soledad O'Brian, will be simulcast on CNN en Espanol as Ser Latino en EE.UU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users