79 replies to this topic

#41 Gruffny

Gruffny

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:59 AM

I was wondering if there have been any changes since the last update? I bet CNNE viewers are counting down to September.
Let's put the NEWS back into Cable NEWS Network.
less World Sport, more World Report.

#42 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:16 AM

On a completely different note, I noticed Adriana Hauser (NY correspondent) and Xanthe Tilden (showbiz correspondent) are gone from the CNN en Espanol anchors and correspondents list. Don't know if they left the network, but maybe it's part of the announced schedule revamp.

Btw, I remember Adriana appearing a few times on CNNI as well.

#43 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

Any more word on the changes that are supposed to be coming to CNNE next month?

#44 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:25 PM

I still haven't noticed any major changes. But I have to admit I've been watching the network less and less. I have a big college project and my schedule is keeping me out of home and the office for most of the day. I've been watching some stuff, though. For example, CNNE has been in the center of controversy following the broadcast of a documentary called "Los Guardianes de Chávez" (Chavez's Guardians), produced by the staff of Canal Cuatro/CNN+ in Spain. The doc supposedly proves that there are members of the criminal (some call terrorist) group FARC in Venezuelan soil. The doc started airing the day after the new Colombian President, Juan Manuel Santos, was inaugurated. CNNE, truthful to its replaying shows nature, aired it several times and held primetime debates around the subject. Hugo Chávez and his supporters have attacked the network for airing and repeating the Spanish doc around the same time Venezuela and Colombia resumed diplomatic relations, which were broken after former Colombian President Álvaro Uribe accused Chávez of protecting FARC members. Carlos Montero, who anchored the special debates, has also been singled out by critics. CNNE's competitor's President, Andrés Izarra of teleSUR, challenged Montero to visit Venezuela. You can watch the doc here.

It seems I'm not the only one worried about CNNE's future. In a blog post titled "CNN en Español: to change or to die" (Google Translate version here), journalist Michel Suárez says CNNE's dominance in the LatAm news market is in jeopardy. We already talked about teleSUR and its left-leaning approach, but apparently there is another news network with a continental reach. It's NTN24, based in Bogotá, Colombia. It's tagline is "An international news network from latino for latino", which was basically CNN en Español's original tagline. I have to say I was in the dark about this network. I've never heard of it breaking a major story and it's not offered in my cable package. Whenever I read of it I believed it was a local station, but after watching the channel online last week I say it's a nice alternative.

During my long absence, CNN en Español used the CNN Express (or at least referred to it) for the first time. Business anchor Gabriela Frías and Washington correspondent Juan Carlos López hit the road to provide a better coverage of the immigration debate in the US.

About the stream issue, I'm also looking for a permanent one (now more than ever) even though finding it might be as unlikely as Patricia Janiot dying her hair blond. However, whenever major international stories break, e.g., the inauguration of Juan Manuel Santos, it's usual to find temporary ones in Justin.tv and/or Ustream. When I find one that works every day, I'll let you know.

Edited by peramirez, 21 August 2010 - 04:30 PM.

"This new management is not one that tolerates any questions. The changes are alienating the public who has been loyal to the network for so many years. They're looking for a new audience. But if you read the comments on the social network sites, the viewers are not pleased with what they see on the air."
Former CNÑer Alberto Padilla to MediaMoves.com

#45 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:37 AM

Good luck with your college project, and thank-you so much for your update. I'm going to go read that blog post now.

#46 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:18 PM

Thanks, Nuggle!

CNNE's version of Business Traveler, Agenda Ejecutiva will have a new season. The premiere date is September 5, and this time the show will not replace Economía y Finanzas every second Thursday of the month. We'll be able to watch it the first Sunday of every month at 7:30 pm. Luis Carlos Vélez is once again the host of the program. Promo here.

About Adriana Hauser: her bio is here. She's returning from vacation according to her Twitter page. I also saw her bio in the list at CNN.com/espanol, so I guess they've been updating that part of the site lately. I saw they finally deleted some show pages (Ojo Crítico, Las Noticias) that outlived the shows for 2-3 years. Kudos for that! But the schedule got stuck in 2008 (TNT Latin America's Directores Latinos is still there!).

About Xanthe Tilden: her resume still points that she's working for CNNE, but her Twitter account makes no reference of CNN, besides the fact that her Twitter name is the name of her old fashion show at the network (canceled in 2002). I haven't seen her in months, but again, I haven't watched CNNE like I used to for a while.

Edited by peramirez, 27 August 2010 - 09:19 PM.

"This new management is not one that tolerates any questions. The changes are alienating the public who has been loyal to the network for so many years. They're looking for a new audience. But if you read the comments on the social network sites, the viewers are not pleased with what they see on the air."

#47 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:25 PM

Thanks peramirez for the info! ;-)

#48 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:10 AM

So, I'm assuming CNN en Espanol is all over this crisis in Ecuador. I've been watching Ecuador state TV stream for a while and they just did a simulcast (around 0100 GMT) of CNNEE which had president Correa on the phone.

UPDATE: a snapshot of a later simulcast

Posted Image

Edited by newser, 01 October 2010 - 01:28 AM.

#49 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:58 AM

Back in May, CNNE's new general manager and senior executive vice president, Cynthia Fernandez Hudson, announced plans for an overhaul of the network. The changes were to be rolled out in September. Now the network is saying the changes will be rolled out over the next 9 months and will include replacing almost 1/3 of its programs. They are also creating separate schedules for the US, Mexico and the rest of Latin America. A new on air look is also going to be introduced.

Details

#50 Gruffny

Gruffny

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:47 PM

Does CNNE have their own version of Back Story?
Let's put the NEWS back into Cable NEWS Network.
less World Sport, more World Report.

#51 fer

fer

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:57 PM

Does CNNE have their own version of Back Story?

No. They use Backstory´s music to do a promo where one of the journalists (usually Carlos Montero) tells the viewer the top stories of the day.

#52 Hamil

Hamil

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:52 AM

I'm wondering if CNNe has a sport show like CNNI's World Sport that airs several times across the day?

#53 TonyLima

TonyLima

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:40 PM

They do, its called DeportesCNN (CNN Sports) and airs everyday twice at night. The anchor is Diego Bustos. This is the show's intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq3Qm6z3xDI

During the day, Elizabeth Perez (the other sports anchor) presents the sports news on several shows.

I'm wondering if CNNe has a sport show like CNNI's World Sport that airs several times across the day?

Edited by TonyLima, 12 June 2011 - 03:40 PM.

#54 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:23 AM

I really like those opening graphics. :thumbsup: Is the show always broadcast from the CNNI newsroom?

#55 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:45 AM

I was reading the Luis Carlos Velez topic in the forum and this comment from LatinBombshell grabbed my attention:

I didn't use to watch World Business Today until LCV joined the team. Don't get me wrong, all the oldtimers there do a great job, but it's really nice to see an eye-candy like LCV on the show. He brings youth and much more diversity to WBT. I used to watch him on CNN en Espanol, and when he left, the quality of that channel went down really bad. That's why I followed him to CNNI, and I'm sure millions of people in Latam did the same. CNNI know what it's doing by hiring him.

The last part is what really got me. Is CNNI trying to win us formerly avid CNÑ viewers? In my case, CNNI, AJE and BBCWN are way up in the pyramid. For what I've read in the CNN en Español's Facebook forum, which has A LOT of topics complaining about the reboot, many have also moved to CNNI and other English language news channels while still hoping for the day this management either gets the sack or starts doing a proper job running a regional cable news network. But in the meantime, CNNI seems to be competing against its sister network by scheduling rival shows during early prime and primetime hours. Comparing the shows is inevitable, and every time CNNI Latin America wins.

All times ET
6pm: The US-centric programs Directo USA and The Situation Room
I guess this is going to change when TSR moves back an hour, but for the moment I prefer CNNI. It is the harder one of all to pick. Juan Carlos López and Ione Molinares make a great team on CNÑ's show, and the slower pace of Directo USA is less likely to make you nauseous. Also, Juan Carlos López is the best in handling social media at the network. Finally, a US-centric program that is aimed at Latinos, who sometimes don't know who John Boehner is, should rank higher than a show that is aimed primarily at Americans. However, Directo, which could be translated as "Live" is NOT LIVE. At least, not all of it. Some of the segments are shot from the TSR set, which, surprise, surprise, it is being used live on TSR. So, sometimes you have CNÑ's specialty: a taped news show. I choose a show that might give me breaking news as it happens over a show that has to be interrupted after getting an anchor in the studio. Also, what the heck is that final segment with those internet videos? They're not even funny most of the time.

7pm: World news shows Panorama Mundial and World Report
CNÑ should also have this in the bag. WR is an excellent broadcast. Whether Anna Coren is in, or Pauline Chiou, or Manisha Tank, it is quality news hour. But CNÑ has familiarity and language. Panorama has Latin American stories maximized in depth of coverage. Co-presenter Patricia Janiot is one of the few solid news anchors of the network. The thing here is that it also has Fernando del Rincón. The guy has a lot of trouble reading the teleprompter. And when he is going solo (without teleprompter, that is), he is not good either. A few months ago, when they interviewed a local politician from my country who was fired from the government (accused of corruption), Fernando del Rincón said that it was obvious that the politician was going to present himself as innocent, so he wanted him to explain why he was innocent. So, he seems to follow the "you're guilty until proven innocent" rule. This was not in flagrante delicto. Had he read a little, he would not only know that he was not charged with any crimes but that the firing was blatantly politically motivated. I mean, the whole country was dismayed with the news of his firing. I could get this because I know what's going on in my country, but hey, what if I've been from a different country. I would have been disinformed or misguided by this interview. So, I choose a good global view over a dubious Latin American view presented by a seemingly uninformed reporter.

8pm: Business programs CNÑ Dinero and World Business Report
The hiring of LCV is decisive in my preference of WBT, but not necessarily because LCV co-anchors it. Colleen and Pauline are enough to be a considered a terrific team on television, but the truth is, had LCV been with Gabriela Frías presenting Dinero, I wouldn't have even changed the channel. CNNE (quick note: whenever I write "CNNE", I'm referring to pre-reboot CNN en Español) had been preparing LCV to succeed either of the two business anchors of the network. At least that seemed to be happening. So when Alberto Padilla left, it was his time. But nooooo, the management wanted to hire someone with an Spanglish-istic style of reporting. The management should have secured LCV as lead male business anchor. He could have even been a NY based anchor. Something could have been figured out with CNNI. Letting him go, even if he decided to move to CNNI before Alberto's shocking departure, was one of the worst post-reboot doings of this management. And hiring that other guy is, in my opinion, another one of those decisions. I'd rather watch business news in English with Pauline, Colleen and LCV with that strong accent of his than business news with a guy who comes across as overbearring (for worse words describing him, go to the network's Facebook forum) and who doesn't speak Spanish. Even Gaby can't get me to watch that show if he's there too.

9pm: Interview shows Cala and Piers Morgan Tonight
This category should be the hardest of all for CNNI. A daily interview show doesn't follow the rules of a newscast; it relies heavily on the notoriety of its interviewees and the character of the interviewer, among other things. A show produced for Latinos presented by a Latino should be more appealing to Latinos than a not-Latino show with a not-Latino host and not-Latino guests. Yet Cala, a show that is even older than PMT, has a lot of trouble. I like the occasional political interviews with analysts, but the problem is that that's not what I thought the program was about. Its tagline is "More personal", and it lives out to it when it has celebrities and politicians, not analysts. Now, some of the politicians that do appear on the show and most of the celebrities are completely unknown to me. They miss the Latin American connection. Sometimes, they are HUGE in Miami (like the local zookeeper), or they are genuinely somehow famous in the US or another country in particular, but lack of notoriety in the rest of the continent. I'm not the only one here, as I've realized there are several others writing about this on the aforementioned forum. The interviewees going to PMT are usually known around the world, for better or for worse, so Piers wins this round by having better guests.
On the matter of the interviewer, Ismael Cala is very charismatic. But he can't fix the show with just that. And he comes across as a nice guy who doesn't want to ask hard questions or can't even think of hard questions due to the quality of the interviewee. The conversation gets dull quickly. Piers Morgan might not be as charming, but he is authoritative and it makes for quality time even when the interviewee doesn't live up to expectations. His perceived arrogance is another ingredient in a format that relies on personality.

So, that's my take on CNÑ and CNNI Latin America during those hours where both channels air simultaneously some of their themed shows. CNNI is better even though CNÑ has a gigantic linguistic and cultural advantage. CNNI is replacing CNÑ for many of us, and the curiously similar schedule during prime hours makes the transition easier.

Edited by peramirez, 15 August 2011 - 04:57 AM.

#56 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:22 PM

Excellent analysis, peramirez!

Perhaps CNNI's biggest minus would be that, apart from occasional reports from Shasta Darlington in Havana and Rafael Romo in Atlanta, it rarely focuses on Latin American issues. Needless to say (again, apart from Shasta), there are no full time CNN correspondents in the whole region anymore (Brian Byrnes still freelancing in Argentina).

#57 Hamil

Hamil

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

Yes, it's always great to read peramirez's post on CNN en Espanol. I'm happy to read that a lot of CNNe viewers are taking to the channel's facebook page and complaining. Hopefully the management will listen and address all the concerns people have since CNNe relaunched.

#58 TonyLima

TonyLima

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:49 PM

It was a great analysis Peramirez! Certainly, between 9am and 3pm (6 news hours!) CNÑ does not have anything to do in the news world. They only show pre-taped shows and two infamous shows Notimujer and Showbiz. It would be unthinkable for CNN USA or CNNI to do the same, because I am sure that they respect their audience. I actually feel bad for people who only rely on CNÑ as their main source of news and dont have any other quality option.

I think this tweet Retweeted by Alberto Padilla sums up the whole situation of the network

http://twitter.com/#!/mpalumbopy/status/103134471783591938

About the actual "news"shows

- In the afternoon thing get a little bit better: Patricia Janiot and Claudia Palacios certainly know their stuff and present some news (btw, last week interviews of Gutsy Claudia Palacios with bully president Rafael Correa showed what a great journalist she is). I just wish they would interact more with their colleagues (ala old Encuentro)
- DirectoUSA I think is a good show. Juan Carlos Lopez and Ione Molinares certainly know how to run it. I like when they interact with the CNÑ correspondent, especially Adriana Hauser from NYC and Karina Dalmas from LA.
-Panorama Mundial is so-so. Fernando del Rincon has gotten better but he is never going to be Daniel Viotto. Patricia is again, flawless.
-CNN Dinero is still so-so. Gaby shows she is one of the biggest assets of the network, but his co-presenter Mr. Serbia is bad, always with his english words (which I would not care that much if he was not a presenter in a hispanic network), always with lame jokes, being awkward with the guest. At first I thought he was going to be a good replacement for ALberto Padilla. I was wrong. Gaby should be doing the show alone, or bring Luis Carlos Velez (unlikely).
-Cala. I dont watch it. Piers Morgan Tonight is on at the same time and he always has good guest. I dont care about "stars" from Miami. It's just too niche for me. I would hire a better presenter or just remove that show. I don't see the value of it.
-Conclusiones. This is a good show. I believe that the idea of having a recap of the news of the day is interesting. Gaby and Fernando certainly get along and have good chemistry.

To summarize:

Almost 10 months since the so-called revamp of the network, these are my 2c

Winners -> Gabriela Frias and Juan Carlos Lopez. More screen time, host two good shows:Conclusiones and DirectoUSA.

Losers -> Juan Carlos Arciniegas and Glenda Umana (I certainly expect that they are getting paid really well to show up for work). The finance shows.

Good call: The inclusion of Elizabeth Perez in the network.

Terrible call: Having wrecked the day time schedule of the network.

Excellent analysis, peramirez!

Perhaps CNNI's biggest minus would be that, apart from occasional reports from Shasta Darlington in Havana and Rafael Romo in Atlanta, it rarely focuses on Latin American issues. Needless to say (again, apart from Shasta), there are no full time CNN correspondents in the whole region anymore (Brian Byrnes still freelancing in Argentina).

Indeed. And CNNI had good Latin American correspondents, people who also reported for CNNE. Harris Whitbeck is now the host of The Amazing Race Latin America. Karl Penhaul is freelancing. And Lucia Newman is working for AJE, and if my memory serves me right, she said she left CNN because she didn't like the lack of coverage of the region.

Yes, it's always great to read peramirez's post on CNN en Espanol. I'm happy to read that a lot of CNNe viewers are taking to the channel's facebook page and complaining. Hopefully the management will listen and address all the concerns people have since CNNe relaunched.

Thanks! I hope this is just a phase, like puberty, and that CNÑ will eventually grow up and be what it's supposed to be: a news network.

By the way, Univisión 24/7 is launching soon. How will that change CNÑ? Well, all of the management decisions were made under the premise that there are no competing stations. NTN24 and TeleSUR do exist, they both appeal to Hispanic viewers in general and they are both better at the existentialist matter of being news networks than the rebellious CNÑ, but they also have their own problems: NTN24's low distribution and TeleSUR's biased reporting. Now, they are more popular in Latin America than in the US. CNÑ management, and Ms Hudson implied it several times, only cares about the US market. So, once Univisión Noticias starts broadcasting news, people in the US will tune it to get their daily news while CNÑ airs NotiMujer, Showbiz and their taped shows. Soon, and you have to remember Univisión is a driving force for Latinos in the US, people will become familiar with Univisión 24/7 and their reliability to get real news and they will end up ditching CNÑ's only news service nowadays: breaking news (at which they perform poorly, too). And I don't think Univisión 24/7 is going to mess this up since they have other channels where they can air women-oriented shows, gossip and talk shows. So, unless this management is truly determined to destroy the CNN brand for Hispanic viewers from the inside, which looks like it's an ongoing operation, they will have to drop some of their shows and restore updated newscasts. There is, of course, the chance CNÑ will become even trashier than now, but I have to believe Mr. Tony Maddox (Mr. "We Care About News, Our Brand and Our Integrity, and By The Way, Have You Seen Our Bills?") will not allow that. Although, he already disappointed me twice: when he hired such incapable people and when he OKed the reboot, so I guess anything is possible.

#59 Xabat

Xabat

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:08 AM

Am I correct in my understanding that the 9am hour of Cafe CNN is a replay of the 7am hour? I remember reading that over the weekend, but my Google translation seemed a little weird and it may have translated wrong.

#60 TonyLima

TonyLima

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

Yeah, how funny they are. This "new" hour is just a repeat of the first hour. Very lame (and lazy!) CAFECNN

Am I correct in my understanding that the 9am hour of Cafe CNN is a replay of the 7am hour? I remember reading that over the weekend, but my Google translation seemed a little weird and it may have translated wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users