79 replies to this topic

#61 Bubbles

Bubbles

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:05 AM

^^ Wow, seriously? What a weird decision to make. I continually have to shake my head in dismay at the way CNNe and CNNI management treat their respective networks. Is Tony Maddox (CNNI boss) also involved someway with CNNe? Considering how both networks seem to see live news as a privilege, I wouldn't be surprised if he was involved with CNNI somewhere along the line.

#62 TonyLima

TonyLima

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:30 PM

Great news! (on paper at least),

Glenda Umana is going to have a daily "news" show from next monday at 11am (ATL Time). FInally, someone at CNN has realized that in the morning stuff happen around the world. Don't know what this means for NOTIMUJER (honestly, I could not care less), but it is certainly good from Glenda, who I think was bored of talking about dresses and shoes everyday.

#63 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:59 PM

Great news! (on paper at least),

Glenda Umana is going to have a daily "news" show from next monday at 11am (ATL Time). FInally, someone at CNN has realized that in the morning stuff happen around the world. Don't know what this means for NOTIMUJER (honestly, I could not care less), but it is certainly good from Glenda, who I think was bored of talking about dresses and shoes everyday.

:mrgreen: I'm happy for Glenda! The name of the show, Actualidad en Vivo ("Actuality Live"), sounds too generic, but it'll do. I hope it's a straight newscast. It's not a huge thing since, you know, the two hours before are replays and the four hours that follow it are not news programs (let's leave it there) and some of them are taped, too. But at least three major problems are somehow fixed or reduced: we'll get at least 1 hour of late morning news; Glenda is returning to news after a year of forced labor in NotiMujer; and that show gets a solo anchor and presumably, a better flow since it'll be hosted from one place (no more satellite delays!). Maybe it'll even get better, though unless it has a name and a concept change, it's still a show that seems to have taken a stand against feminism.

Yeah, how funny they are. This "new" hour is just a repeat of the first hour. Very lame (and lazy!) CAFECNN

Can't say I'm surprised. But if I had to choose between a replay of a show that aired 2 hours ago and a replay of a show that aired 11 hours ago, I'll take the more recent broadcast. Still, it's the lesser of two evils. Having CNÑ Dinero at that timeslot was ridiculous. It was like replaying CNNI's Quest Means Business (wait for it...) at 8am GMT/4am ET, instead of the first World Business Today. These turbulent times must have proven the management wrong.

But I do have one big complain. Why did the promos say the show was going to last 4 hours now? It's just like Vive la noticia ("Live the news") or the infamous El Líder Mundial en Noticias ("The World's News Leader" or "The Worldwide Leader in News"). Or whenever they put highlights of their little coverage of recent major stories. It's very misleading. It makes people who watch those promos believe CNÑ means news, and that's something Ms. Hudson clearly doesn't want. Maybe the people making them didn't get the memo. Please, Ms. Hudson, make them read the memo. News is something your target doesn't want.

Is Tony Maddox (CNNI boss) also involved someway with CNNe? Considering how both networks seem to see live news as a privilege, I wouldn't be surprised if he was involved with CNNI somewhere along the line.

Oh, and yes, he is. And apparently, he is responsible for hiring Ms. Hudson.

Edited by peramirez, 13 September 2011 - 06:01 PM.

"This new management is not one that tolerates any questions. The changes are alienating the public who has been loyal to the network for so many years. They're looking for a new audience. But if you read the comments on the social network sites, the viewers are not pleased with what they see on the air."
Former CNÑer Alberto Padilla to MediaMoves.com

#64 Hamil

Hamil

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:16 PM

At least 1 CNN network has some sort of sense and decides to add more live news instead of taking it away. With that said, it's still a shame the network has so much little live news. Out of curisity, how was the CNNe schedule before the revamp? Did they have 30 minute bulletins like World News or something on the hour across the days?

#65 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:57 PM

There was a time a 30-minute bulletin aired every hour from 5am-2am, but only some of them were actually live (5am, 7am, 9am, 11am, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm, 9pm and 11pm). Every anchor had a program with a different name. For example, all morning newscasts were anchored by Carlos Montero, and they were all branded Al Día ("Up to Date"). Afternoon hours, hosted by Glenda Umaña, were Nuestro Mundo ("Our world"). The flagship evening newscast was hosted by Patricia Janiot and it was named Panorama Mundial ("World View"). Most of these names survived the reboot but with different concepts. After the news, the network would air weekly shows about tech, movies, health, travel, the original World Report, etc; a 30-minute showbiz show or a personal finances program.

The first major change to that scheduling format happened in late 2008 2009, when they reduced the bulletins, airing from 6am-2am (live at 6am, 9am, 1pm, 4pm, 6pm, 7pm, 9pm and 11pm), with the exception of 12pm, when a replay of the so-called Mexican Larry King aired.

The replays were almost always of the most recent live broadcast, and in case news happened in between, the latter broadcast was updated. Exceptions to this rule were the personality driven news show Encuentro ("Meeting") and US-centric Directo desde EE.UU. ("Live from the US"), live at 6pm and 7pm, replayed at 8pm and 1am, respectively.

And then, the reboot. In terms of live-taped ratio, the net has improved in recent months. It's now live from 6-9am, from 11am (new Glenda Umaña show)-1pm, from 3-6pm, and from 7-11pm. The problem is, of course, that some of those shows are 1) not about news at all, or 2) mix few minutes of light news with cooking or far more time-consuming lifestyle reports, which do not belong in a news network. Also, some shows are afraid to talk about certain subjects because since most of them have replays, they'd become irrelevant by then. That doesn't stop them with replaying breaking news stuff more than 3 days after it originally aired as I have pointed out in the past, but they are more cautious about it now than a year ago.

And weekends? Before the revamp, this was already an issue. In 2002, with the same top of the hour rule, there were newscasts from 5-11 in the morning and from 4-12 at night. Morning newscasts were axed on February 1, 2003 (the day of the Columbia disaster!) and in late 2008 2009, the 4pm and 5pm newscasts were dropped. Finally, the reboot cut everything but 1 hour of live news on Saturdays and Sundays at 6pm, with 30 minutes of live sports late night. That's the management's favorite way of telling us to :censored:, loud and clear.

Edited by peramirez, 15 September 2011 - 12:55 PM.

"This new management is not one that tolerates any questions. The changes are alienating the public who has been loyal to the network for so many years. They're looking for a new audience. But if you read the comments on the social network sites, the viewers are not pleased with what they see on the air."

#66 Wilma

Wilma

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:24 AM

Very interesting, thanks for sharing that. I'm still baffled how CNNe has tried to expand out to a general news/information/entertainment channel, yet can't seem to do either of them well. If only they would focus on being a news network, they might find they can do it well if they only just focus on that. BTW, your signature sends shivers up my spine. I feel CNNI management is exactly the same as those CNNe management types that fired Alberto.

#67 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:48 PM

It's sad. Just now I'm moving on from CNÑ to CNNI in primetime, and I'm forced to move from CNNI to CNN/US. Better to turn off the TV in my case.

Returning to the "OMG! AN ACTUAL NEWSCAST IN A SO-CALLED NEWS NETWORK!" story that has all of us CNN en Español fans longing for the old schedule, Glenda Umaña explained why the management decided to launch a newscast at 11am:
"They realized it was needed because a lot of news occur at that time and it constantly interrupts the broadcast", for which she means the 16-hour-old newscast that's replayed then.
(Nacion.com - English Google Translate version)

Wow. I hope that 9am, 10am, 12pm, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm and 11pm get interrupted a lot so that we can have more live newscasts. Obama, please schedule your press conferences about immigration, the economy and education during those time slots. And Chávez, wait for those hours to give your crazy and incredibly long speeches.

Edited by peramirez, 17 September 2011 - 06:50 PM.

#68 Wilma

Wilma

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

Excellent to see management at CNN en Espanol finally take a positive step! Good news for CNN en Espanol viewers!

#69 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:44 PM

CNNI Management, take notes.
http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#70 TonyLima

TonyLima

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:54 AM

Today I learned one more thing that makes happy I did not move to the US when I had the chance a few years ago: Now on CNÑ signal for the Unites States, the network is broadcasting the incredible boring and stupid game of BASEBALL. C'mon, really! you are a news network, how can they waste 2 or 3 hours of prime time with a several games of that excrutiating sport. People in the US are complaining that they can not watch CNN DINERO, for example. I would be very pissed. Probably one of the few happy people is Miss Perez (whom I like) who is an avid fan of that aberration (she is from Venezuela, so I guess I can understand). I hope they dont pull that shit here in South America.

#71 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:07 AM

WTF?? Baseball? Are they competing with MTV on how to destroy everything a network ever represented?? Maddog and co. have indeed lost their minds. They (Maddog, Hudson, Green, Walton) all need to go. Now.

#72 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:43 AM

Actually, this is not the first time they've done that. I think it's been happening since 2008, and that's because Turner owns the rights to the games but has no appropriate channel to air it for the Spanish speaking audience. Since most executives have no idea how to properly run a news network, and they are even worse running a non-English language channel, they picked CNN en Español. They always believed the network was a joke. (See: CNNE's beyond stupidity cuts during the AOL Time Warner merger disaster and the recent hiring of Ms. Hudson.) This is most likely coming from way up in the food chain.

UPDATE: Don't I have a good memory for CNNE trivia? I found a CNN Observations short article from 2008 (!) confirming this "tradition".

Edited by peramirez, 06 October 2011 - 02:50 AM.

#73 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:49 PM

A HUGE anchor shuffling coming to CNÑ as Claudia Palacios leaves the daily newscast Encuentro to focus on the weekly travel magazine Destinos and a quarterly interview program named Los Influyentes. She'll also lead special coverage for the network. (It's a kind of Soledad O'Brien post-American Morning role, I think)

Camilo Egaña of Mirador Mundial (the only weekend newshour) fame will take over Encuentro.

Guillermo Arduino will replace Camilo as anchor of Mirador Mundial.

Source: Estereofonica / Google Translate version

Why are they doing this with Claudia? I'm sure I'm not the only one upset for not having such an experienced and qualified member of the team doing the news in a daily basis. Her moving from weekends to weekdays was one of the few highlights of the 2010 revamp. But I imagine she asked for a different role, because the swap looks rushed, just like when Jorge Gestoso left the anchor chair in early 2003. Back then, they moved Glenda Umaña from weekends to weekdays and had the Mirador Mundial desk without an official anchor until Mari Ramos infamously got her short break as Saturday anchor and Luis Arce hosted the Sunday editions before reverting back to whoever was free on weekends. This stopped when Claudia was hired in mid-2004.

I mean, good for Camilo and Guillermo for getting those shows, they're great and I would also pick them for any vacant position or any new position considering there are many newsless hours in the day and I'm someone who would prefer promoting than recruiting, but I think this management would have recruited someone new if they had the time, specifically for Mirador Mundial as Guillermo Arduino has already a big load of work at CNNI* and with CNÑ's Clix.

**Quick note: Guillermo Arduino will host two completely unrelated shows on two networks that happen to share graphics: CNNI's World View and CNÑ's Mirador Mundial.

Even though this management was proven clueless, I doubt they would promote Claudia for a year and then bench her. But if that's what really happened, shame on them again.

Edited by peramirez, 23 December 2011 - 01:59 PM.

#74 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:31 AM

As ever, thanks for the update peramirez. It seems Claudia Palacios has been demoted but given some token roles for the time being.

#75 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:36 AM

Does Mirador Mundial air on both Sat and Sun or just on one of those days?
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#76 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:25 PM

Mirador Mundial airs Saturdays and Sundays at 6pm ET. On Sundays, there's usually a repeat at 9pm 10pm, if the slot isn't being used for a special, and when the Mexican feed broadcasts México Opina.

--
EDIT:
1. Forgot to include the overnight replays, but seriously, they don't count for much and I doubt Guillermo will stay up and in the studio to update them if necessary. They usually have other people working those shifts to update the headlines but only if a gigantic unavoidable story occurs.

2. I've just realized I made a mistake while converting my local time to ET. Sorry about that.

Edited by peramirez, 08 January 2012 - 03:07 AM.

#77 Gruffny

Gruffny

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:39 AM

Thanks for the updates. Did Guillermo do his news bulletin on CNNe last weekend or is he yet to start in that role?
Let's put the NEWS back into Cable NEWS Network.
less World Sport, more World Report.

#78 CNNEEFans

CNNEEFans

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for the updates. Did Guillermo do his news bulletin on CNNe last weekend or is he yet to start in that role?

Oh no he starts this weekend, Greetings and thank you so much.

#79 CNNEEFans

CNNEEFans

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:13 AM

CNN en Español presenta Castigo y Esperanza: las condiciones infrahumanas que viven los prisioneros.

Este domingo 8 de julio a las 7 p.m. EST. CNN en Español presenta un especial sobre el sistema judicial en América Latina, una revelación sobre la realidad que viven los prisioneros y cómo funciona el negocio de las cárceles privadas. Un programa especial presentado por Patricia Janiot.

El especial Castigo y Esperanza mostrará el lado humano de aquellos que han sido apresados, muchas veces por sus propias acciones, y otras tantas por un sistema frágil que acaba con los sueños e inclusive con la dignidad de miles de personas. La verdad se revela en este especial en donde se comprueba, por medio de la ayuda de nuestros corresponsales y entrevistas especiales, las condiciones infrahumanas a las que son expuestos los prisioneros en Latinoamérica, incluyendo el hacinamiento al que son sometidos, la corrupción y la ineficiencia del sistema legal.

Castigo y Esperanza, un programa especial presentado por Patricia Janiot, este domingo 8 de julio a las 7 pm EST. en CNN en Español.

CNN en Español presents: "Castigo y Esperanza" subhuman living conditions of prisoners in latin america.

Sunday July 8 at 7 p.m. EST. CNN en Español has a special on the judiciary in Latin America, a revelation about the reality experienced by prisoners and how the business of private prisons. A special program presented by anchor Patricia Janiot.

The special "Castigo y Esperanza" (Punishment and Hope) will show the human side of those who have been imprisoned, often for their own actions, and as many for a fragile system that kills the dreams and even with the dignity of thousands of people. The truth is revealed in this special in which it is found through the help of our correspondents and special interviews, the inhumane conditions to which prisoners are exposed in Latin America, including overcrowding they undergo, corruption and inefficiency the legal system.

Castigo y Esperanza, a special program presented by anchor Patricia Janiot, its going to air Sunday July 8 at 7 pm EST. CNN en Español.

by: Team CNNEE Fan Center.

Edited by CNNEEFans, 08 July 2012 - 04:33 AM.

#80 imjohndoeandthisiscnn

imjohndoeandthisiscnn

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:48 PM

Does anyone have an up-to-date schedule of CNNEE? Just wanted to know what programming is like on there.

"The news coverage continues. Around the world, around the clock, this is CNN." - Richard Quest, 20 May 2016

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users