5 replies to this topic

#1 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:58 PM

Good news! The series of presidential debates co-presented by CNN and a Latin American national station is back! Foro Presidencial Guatemala 2011 will gather the most popular presidential candidates of Guatemala for an hour to present their views and projects to both the Guatemalan and Latin American audiences. With this program, CNÑ and Canal 3 restart the abandoned series which had its last presidential forum in Paraguay, 2008. It is the second consecutive Guatemalan election that will be preceded by a CNN debate.

CNÑ's Glenda Umaña and Canal 3's Elsie Sierra will moderate the debate on August 25, which will cover both matters of national and international interest.

More info here in Spanish, and here in English (Google Translate).

I do have to wonder why Glenda Umaña was given the role to moderate the debate. She's not presented nor used as a newsperson by the management at the network, and the article above even stresses that while she currently presents NotiMujer, before the show premiered, she covered international news stories. The description of her career history only proves how underestimated she was by the management when she was forced into NotiMujer.

Glenda Umaña IS a newsperson, and she should be allowed to do news, presidential debates, interviews with powerful people, etc. She shouldn't be telling her viewers every day what kind of makeup matches their skin, how to lose weight quickly, or the benefits of yoga.

Also, LOL at this:
In its 14 years, the network has established the standard for reliable, relevant and up-to-the-minute news, with programming that offers its audience a singular connection with the world, which includes all the news and current events that they need to be informed and make right decisions to secure their future.
The reboot changed that. Stop using the network's past, which you deemed inadequate for the present, and own up to your decisions, Ms. Hudson.
"This new management is not one that tolerates any questions. The changes are alienating the public who has been loyal to the network for so many years. They're looking for a new audience. But if you read the comments on the social network sites, the viewers are not pleased with what they see on the air."
Former CNÑer Alberto Padilla to MediaMoves.com

#2 TonyLima

TonyLima

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

What a sad story! Glenda is presented as a former news person. Well I guess that's what happens when you start talking about makeup, dresses, shoes and jewelry for a living. Glenda did not need that! she could have worked anywhere. Look at Alberto Padilla, he is making a living doing conferences all over latinamerica. The only reason that I see for her to remain at CNÑ could be that she REALLY likes Atlanta. Bummer.

Ah, and about Mrs Hudson comments ----> #FAIL #LOL

Good news! The series of presidential debates co-presented by CNN and a Latin American national station is back! Foro Presidencial Guatemala 2011 will gather the most popular presidential candidates of Guatemala for an hour to present their views and projects to both the Guatemalan and Latin American audiences. With this program, CNÑ and Canal 3 restart the abandoned series which had its last presidential forum in Paraguay, 2008. It is the second consecutive Guatemalan election that will be preceded by a CNN debate.

CNÑ's Glenda Umaña and Canal 3's Elsie Sierra will moderate the debate on August 25, which will cover both matters of national and international interest.

More info here in Spanish, and here in English (Google Translate).

I do have to wonder why Glenda Umaña was given the role to moderate the debate. She's not presented nor used as a newsperson by the management at the network, and the article above even stresses that while she currently presents NotiMujer, before the show premiered, she covered international news stories. The description of her career history only proves how underestimated she was by the management when she was forced into NotiMujer.

Glenda Umaña IS a newsperson, and she should be allowed to do news, presidential debates, interviews with powerful people, etc. She shouldn't be telling her viewers every day what kind of makeup matches their skin, how to lose weight quickly, or the benefits of yoga.

Also, LOL at this:
In its 14 years, the network has established the standard for reliable, relevant and up-to-the-minute news, with programming that offers its audience a singular connection with the world, which includes all the news and current events that they need to be informed and make right decisions to secure their future.
The reboot changed that. Stop using the network's past, which you deemed inadequate for the present, and own up to your decisions, Ms. Hudson.

#3 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:37 AM

Yesterday was the day for the Foro Presidencial Guatemala 2011. I couldn't watch it, but I've read mixed reviews about it. Some criticize the decision to only invite the top 3 contenders, and it seems like one of the candidates left out actually answered the questions of the debate live in his Facebook page. I do have to support the decision, though. Having lots of candidates uses a lot of time, and when you have a one-day election, unlike US primaries which go for months, it all comes down to the top two or three if you're not determining who's elected but which two will face off in a ballotage election.

I'm surprised by the little coverage Guatemalan digital papers seem to have given the event, and here are some links: El Periódico, Prensa Libre and Siglo 21.

I haven't found clips on YouTube either beyond some uploaded by the campaigns, like the following one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAWL4kSRpwk
"This new management is not one that tolerates any questions. The changes are alienating the public who has been loyal to the network for so many years. They're looking for a new audience. But if you read the comments on the social network sites, the viewers are not pleased with what they see on the air."

#4 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

CNN en Español is set to co-host a presidential forum in the Dominican Republic.

This time, the partner is Grupo Corripio, that according to Wikipedia, owns two TV stations: Teleantillas and Telesistema. A few years ago, Telesistema and CNN en Español co-hosted a series of one-on-one 30-minute interviews with the presidential candidates, that aired over the course of a week, instead of a one-night presidential forum.

I hope a new CNÑer (that's, someone other than Carlos Montero, Patricia Janiot, Glenda Umaña and Claudia Palacios, who have hosted in the past) gets the gig. I'm particularly impressed by Lucía Navarro when she's in Actualidad en Vivo (still haven't watched Café). Guillermo Arduino would also do a great job.

However, if CNÑ management is serious with Claudia Palacios as "specials anchor", she should be the one taking the role. And she already did the one-on-one interviews the last time.

Via El Nuevo Diario / Google Translate English version

#5 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for the update. Has CNNe adopted a version of the US election graphics like CNNI did for their Russia election coverage?

#6 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

They have their own template that is modified with the colors of the flag of the country going to the polls, but only use it for elections in Latin America and Spain. For the U.S. elections, they always use the same graphics as CNN/US and CNNI, though. If they were to adopt the current America's Choice scheme, we won't know until the next general election in the region, which I think is in the Dominican Republic.

As for the Foro Presidencial series, it also has its own music and graphics, again, customized with the national colors. They changed the graphics for the comeback forum in Guatemala last year, but luckily, they kept the music. This is the current intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKycxzY-Nqk

I didn't watch that forum but watching the clip, I cringed at the first question. I thought it was unprofessional to see the candidates enter the stage without introduction and being asked who they are, as in "what's your name?". In every other forum I watched, the moderators introduced the candidates. Referring to them as "first participant", "participant two" and "participant three" before they answer that question was bizarre, as if it were a game show. I know, it's a very LATE review but, you know, I hope they don't do that in Santo Domingo.

Edited by peramirez, 14 March 2012 - 11:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users