8 replies to this topic

#1 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:59 AM

CNN en Español launched on March 17, 1999.

Even though its recent programming decisions tell you that up-to-the-minute news are NOT the main focus, we still have CNN-quality reporting during some hours of the day.

So, CNN en Español as a 24/7 effort to offer CNN-quality reporting in Spanish -not just a mere translation of the anglophone CNN, as anchors who didn't forsee Sanjay Gupta used to say-, turns 15.

In this blog post, after referring to the network as a quinceañera (nothing wrong with it, I just had to point it out), they are asking people to choose the top ten news stories from 1997-2012.

The options are:
- 1997 Assault on the residence of the Japanese Ambassador in Peru
- 1997 Death of Princess Diana
- 1998 Pope John Paul II's visit to Cuba
- 1998 Augusto Pinochet's arrest in London
- 1999-2000 Y2K
- 2000 Elián González affair
- 2000 Election of President Vicente Fox in Mexico
- 2001 September 11 attacks
- 2001 Economic crisis in Argentina
- 2002 Coup d'état in Venezuela
- 2003 Capture of Saddam Hussein
- 2004 Madrid bombings
- 2004 Earthquake and tsunami in the Indian Ocean
- 2005 Death of Pope John Paul II
- 2005 London bombings
- 2005 Hurricane Katrina
- 2005-? U.S. housing crisis and recession
- 2008 Fidel Castro's resignation as President of Cuba
- 2008 Death of FARC's Raúl Reyes in Ecuador
- 2008 Rescue of Ingrid Betancourt
- 2009 Dismissal of President Zelaya in Honduras *
- 2010 Haiti earthquake
- 2010 Chile earthquake
- 2010 Rescue of Chilean miners
- 2011 Earthquake and tsunami in Japan
- 2011 Death of Osama bin Laden
- 2011-? Arab spring **

I already voted. They will reveal the most voted options in a special on March 15.

* I'm sorry but I have to criticize the wording as this is exactly the kind of stuff that makes people think CNN is just an extension of the U.S. government and a medium for the political right. CNN en Español famously named their coverage of the event "Coup d'état in Honduras" but then backtracked that same evening and renamed it "Forced succession in Honduras". And now, they are saying "dismissal". Come on, CNÑ! Even a national commission tasked to investigate the events by the new government reported last year that it was indeed a coup d'état! If you are using that wording for the failed coup d'état in Venezuela, you have no excuse for not using it for Honduras.

** Notice that they are asking people to vote on the "stories" and not the "coverage" of such stories. That makes it easier for anyone to vote for the Arab spring, which I think they did just a regular job covering. Sure, José Levy and Verónica Balderas were above the rest, but the platform given to them was just too small. José Levy covering Libya from Israel is not something that would have happened if he were working for another network.

"This new management is not one that tolerates any questions. The changes are alienating the public who has been loyal to the network for so many years. They're looking for a new audience. But if you read the comments on the social network sites, the viewers are not pleased with what they see on the air."
Former CNÑer Alberto Padilla to MediaMoves.com

#2 Gruffny

Gruffny

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:09 AM

Do you have any indication that they have some celebrations planned on air for the 15th anniversary? I wonder if this vote is for a special that they will air?
Let's put the NEWS back into Cable NEWS Network.
less World Sport, more World Report.

#3 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:48 AM

Yes, the special will air on March 15. After watching all the -well deserved- fanfare last month about Ms. Janiot's 20 years at CNN, I'd say it's likely we'll see something similar. Changing the bug as they did for CNN en Español's 10th anniversary is unlikely, though.

I have an idea for the management. They should do what they said they would do two years ago and launch Archivo CNN ("CNN Archive") already, coinciding with the date. The program was supposed to showcase CNN en Español's coverage throughout the years. As long as they don't cancel another live newscast, it will not hurt. I know they don't care about airing old news because their entire weekend lineup except for 2 1/2 hours (and some weekday hours) is old news. So, launch the show, at least as a year-long feature.
"This new management is not one that tolerates any questions. The changes are alienating the public who has been loyal to the network for so many years. They're looking for a new audience. But if you read the comments on the social network sites, the viewers are not pleased with what they see on the air."

#4 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

CNÑ is changing its on-air bug on Thursday to celebrate the 15 years of the network, according to Prensario. (Google Translate version)

Attached File  cnne15.jpg   4.23KB   4 downloads

CNNE turns 15 on Saturday.

CNN en Español also changed its bug and bumpers for the 10-year mark. That time, the "CNN en Español 10" logo was used until December 31.

#5 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

Promo for the 15 events special

#6 Bubbles

Bubbles

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for the promo. And Happy birthday CNNe!

#7 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

Happy belated birthday to the network! My only wish for them is that they become a 24-hour news network again. I miss it.

I watched the CNÑ 15 años: Viviendo la Historia ("CNÑ 15 years: Living history") days ago, but just now I'm able to tell you a bit about it.

I feel the show lacked structure. As I wrote a few months ago, the CNNEspañol blog poll was meant to give viewers the chance to select the top stories of the last 15 years, not to rank the performance of the network covering those events. Because of that, I didn't expect a clip show, but I did expect to see more than four clips.

The 15 chosen events were truly historic and I remember the first time I heard of most of them watching CNN en Español. In the special, with every event, you saw a white title card and then, current CNÑ anchors would talk about it.

The best parts of the program were the times the anchors and correspondents talked about their personal experiences covering the stories, like Fernando del Rincón on the Japan earthquake and tsunami, Glenda Umaña on the death of Pope John Paul II (with a clip from that time she announced it), Claudia Palacios on the Ingrid Betancourt rescue operation; etc.

The oddest parts were the times current anchors talked about their experiences covering the featured story on another network (Fernando del Rincón and Claudia Palacios on 9/11; Lucía Navarro on Katrina) overlapping with memories from anchors who did cover the story for CNN.

For some of the stories, it didn't feel quite right. I couldn't forget Jorge Gestoso's role during the capture of Saddam Hussein segment, Daniel Viotto for the Chile earthquake, José Levy for the Madrid bombings, Inés Ferré for Katrina and Ismael Cala (where was he for the taping of the special?) for the Indian Ocean earthquake.

And also, for some stories, there were no backstories, just the anchors stating facts and sometimes, empty insights like, on the death of Princess Diana, "the story is unrepeatable; it'll be very difficult to see something like this again". Or worst, stuttering those mere facts and empty insights. In a pretaped show.

It all made for a confusing anniversary special.

Other notes:
-I was surprised to hear a mea culpa from Gaby Frías on "missing the signs" of the 2008 economic crisis, considering I saw dozens of reports and interviews in Economía y Finanzas con Alberto Padilla and En Efectivo discussing the bubble that was about to burst. I think they did their job well.

-I thought "huh?" when Patricia Janiot said they got lots of iReports during the aftermath of the Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami of 2004, since iReport was launched months later.

-It bothered me that they only included José Levy's backstories for the top three stories (capture of Hussein, death of Bin Laden and 9/11). The guy covered a lot. He should have been a part of the Madrid bombings and death of John Paul II portions, too, at least.

-Pull yourself together, Fernando. So the death of Bin Laden was your best journalistic moment, but come on, the other guys didn't look like they were about to jump off my screen.

-The backstory of the death of Bin Laden coverage, provided by Fernando del Rincón and Camilo Egaña, revealed that they basically have no one in the newsroom on weekends. They don't even have an interpreter to simulcast CNNI or CNN/US if needed to. The death of Kim Jong-Il coverage fiasco now makes sense.

-I have to give them credit for the last segment, which introduced the obvious top story: the 9/11 attacks. The entire segment was solemn and moving. Adriana Hauser provided an emotional telling of how it felt to be a New Yorker that day. It didn't matter she was not at the network that day, her story was very personal and you could relive it with her. I was genuinely sad when the segment ended.

#8 CNNEEFans

CNNEEFans

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

great Perez greetings please guys follow us on twitter at: @@CNNEEFans

#9 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:13 AM

just curious.  Is this channel available throughout the US?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users