288 replies to this topic

#81 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

Don't like the tacky music but everything else seems to be good! The white/black/red-color combination they are using is very pleasant. If they keep focussing on hard news every day, I think it will be a success.

#82 StayConnected

StayConnected

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

I really LOVED the show! Isha is doing great, there are lots of different stories in those 30 minutes! Great to see. Graphics are pretty nice, it's slightly the same as World Report, but using the (BBC World News) colors White and Red and some orange.

No matter where news happens, CNN is there.

#83 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

Sorry, Isha fans, I don't like it.

The music is not that bad, but graphics (including the headlines rundown on the left side) look like a rearranged version of those seen on CNN Newsroom. Except for the part where the host's various photographs appear. Come on, even Richard Quest doesn't have that.

The show is broadcast from newsroom, which is fine, but mentioning every single person there and explaining what they are working on is a completely unnecessary element in this drama. BackStory is canceled, Isha, focus on the news!

During an interview recorded earlier, the host was wearing different clothes, but since the interview was conducted from the same position in the newsroom, it looked a bit awkward seeing Isha in a jacket and the next minute seeing Isha in a sleeveless dress.

The presenting style was very dramatic and energetic, as expected. The only thing is, it didn't keep me on the edge of my seat, rather I had a feeling the host was getting ready to dance, run, jump or something...

To conclude, it's IDesk meeting CNN Newsroom which could be called 'CNN Isha is in the Center' and would be a great fit for an international version of HLN if it existed.

#84 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

The good:
The music and graphics
The use off the newsroom - for one show per day it makes a nice change from the studio
The piece on the US marine up for discharge. Not an obvious story to cover. And it could probably be packaged up for CNN/US if they want it
Isha was well suited to the format

However it a nutshell it was extended headlines and only three 'in-depth' pieces in half an hour. Weekend WR's (when CNNI can be bothered) have had more substance. Selecting 'certain' stories to cover is what CTW does. I didn't feel fully updated after watching. A minute or so isn't enough on Syria for example.

It's better than PMT in the slot, and it's better than Backstory full of filler. It is also only day 1. Things could change over time. But in terms of substance I was disappointed - that slot needs something like the 'original W1'. The news, in full, not with loads of analysis or features, but not just headlines. Short concise reports on all the issues of the day. If CNNi have forgotten, go and watch a 30 minute AJE bulletin

As for CNN>NewsCenter, I'll give it another go some day, but unlike the original W1, I won't be making it a regular viewing habit, at least at this stage

Edited by excel99, 16 April 2012 - 08:32 PM.

#85 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

What I do like is the fact that each CNNI show has a different feel (something CNN/USA should take note of). :sarcastic:

This is a watchable show and it seems as though it may be a show with flexability built into it.

#86 hundnz

hundnz

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

The piece on the US marine up for discharge. Not an obvious story to cover. And it could probably be packaged up for CNN/US if they want it

I have the feeling it was more the other way around, that CNNI probably piggybacked on this story. I bet the marine and lawyer were also interviewed on Newsroom as well.

However it a nutshell it was extended headlines and only three 'in-depth' pieces in half an hour. Weekend WR's (when CNNI can be bothered) have had more substance. Selecting 'certain' stories to cover is what CTW does. I didn't feel fully updated after watching. A minute or so isn't enough on Syria for example.

I would agree with you. It was OK, but very headline-focused. I liked the newsroom set, but they seemed to overegg it at some points when they pointed out the newsroom. For example, when they came back after the break and Isha said something like "X is working on verifying Syria videos, Y is...". If Isha actually spoke to the reporters/editors in question, that would have might have been a good add-on, but it just seemed like "look, we're making the news here!" stuff to me.

Also, part of the newsroom was introduced as the "international desk". Obvious room for confusion with the programme of the same name.

It's better than PMT in the slot, and it's better than Backstory full of filler. It is also only day 1. Things could change over time. But in terms of substance I was disappointed - that slot needs something like the 'original W1'.

I miss W1 as well, but the positives I take out of Newscenter are that it was pretty much all hard news (apart from the hologram story, which really was pretty stupid) and unlike WR it wasn't padded out with weather or sport.

Overall I'd give the show a B+ - has definite potential but still room for improvement.

#87 hundnz

hundnz

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

What I do like is the fact that each CNNI show has a different feel (something CNN/USA should take note of). :sarcastic:

To me there are almost too many news formats now - iDesk, WR, W1, Newstream, CTW and now Newscenter.

I think one of these formats should be canned - and frankly I think WR is by far the weakest of the lot.To me WR means "lowest-ranking newscast". W1 and iDesk mean "we put in a bit more effort". I would cancel all WR bulletins and replace them with one of the other formats.

W1 has the best theme music of all the shows ;-)

#88 Honn

Honn

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

To me there are almost too many news formats now - iDesk, WR, W1, Newstream, CTW and now Newscenter.

I think one of these formats should be canned - and frankly I think WR is by far the weakest of the lot.To me WR means "lowest-ranking newscast". W1 and iDesk mean "we put in a bit more effort". I would cancel all WR bulletins and replace them with one of the other formats.

Re-brand it back to 'World News' and make sure it is news. They need a duo anchored show badly, apart from the London W1. It's all a focus on personalities and not a focus for what many tune in for- news. But hey, that's the CNN ethos now, following a more Americanized path.

#89 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

it seems as though it may be a show with flexability built into it.

Certainly agree there. They could easily add more reports without it being obvious. Really after the initial headlines there is no format until the 'Off Center' fluff story at the end

For example, when they came back after the break and Isha said something like "X is working on verifying Syria videos, Y is...". If Isha actually spoke to the reporters/editors in question, that would have might have been a good add-on, but it just seemed like "look, we're making the news here!" stuff to me.

To me it was just another way of doing the headlines. Nothing new was learned compared to the extended headlines on the same subjects 5 minutes earlier. Like you say if Isha spoke to the producers/editors we could have learnt something that wasn't in the headlines

#90 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

Have you watched John Vause or Rosemary Church on WR lately? Those two hours are the hardest news hours you get these days on CNNI. A complete opposite from the fluffy Hong Kong editions of WR though.

#91 magnel69

magnel69

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

I enjoy reading your comments and analysis on the CNN NewsCenter. Very interesting!

Edited by magnel69, 16 April 2012 - 09:23 PM.

#92 hundnz

hundnz

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

Have you watched John Vause or Rosemary Church on WR lately? Those two hours are the hardest news hours you get these days on CNNI. A complete opposite from the fluffy Hong Kong editions of WR though.

To me that kind of underlines my point - there needs to be some more consistency. WR should be of the same quality whenever you watch it, whether it's from HK or Atlanta.

#93 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#94 Gman

Gman

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

Like the show, like the concept but not the gimmicks. Is the whole walking into the newsroom thing at the beginning going to be used every episode or was it just for the premiere?
Graphics and music so much better than WR (in my humble opinion...).
I've always liked Isha as a host of pure news programs - it's much more her style. For the first time, I think I noticed that she speaks rather quickly. Is it just me? I know it's a half-hour show but what's the hurry?

And for Carolina Argentina...

Do you say "tink" instead of "think?" Love Irish accents.

Jeez no!! That was knocked out of me at a very young age! I don't say tirty tree and a tird either! To be sure...

#95 Dabir

Dabir

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

I wasn't home to watch. I hope Morphium hurries up and uploads a video.

#96 Samson

Samson

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:59 PM

Considering the show airs early morning in the Asia Pacific region and clearly Morp has a life outside of the forum, I think it's rude to demand and expect such things. If he recorded it I'm sure he'll make a video, but I don't think you should expect such things.

Thanks for the pics ginnyfan. I like the look of the titles. Nice white, red and black.

#97 Michael Isha CNN

Michael Isha CNN

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#98 Xabat

Xabat

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

Morpium did a video :thumbup:

#99 magnel69

magnel69

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

Watching this makes me teary-eyes and proud. Isha is, no doubt, now at the top of "CNN Ladder of Success". She has conquer every aspects of the job after only six years and at the age of 36 years old.

Mr.Cooper was elated on AC360 last night. He told her she deserved it
We love you Isha!!!

#100 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

It is good CNN is trying to present more news. Anything is an improvment over a rerun of Piers, but I'd rather see the Brief brought back. I don't care who is doing what, don't need walking around like Brooke Baldwin or inane pieces like bringing back that hologram, which was a complete joke when it happened. Won't be watching, but hope a news show survives.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users