59 replies to this topic

#21 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

I didn't find her on Amanpour but I did find her on Newcenter, she is so amazing. Thanks for the tip CA

Here is the link: In this short interview some amazing insight.

http://edition.cnn.c...?iref=allsearch

Edited by Solar System, 18 July 2012 - 05:33 AM.

#22 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

Thnx for the video.

#23 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:21 AM

Well, it isn't a book but...after being out of town and finally bailing my mail out from the post office, this month's Vanity Fair has a very interesting article on Marie Colvin.

They also have a one page interview with Amanpour. Learned some new things there too.

#24 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

Wow!

Houston, thanks so much for the Marie link.

#25 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

Would love to see Janine's documentary No Man's Land: Women frontline journalist, but the price tag is a bit too steep. (DVD)

NO MAN'S LAND: Profiles members of a truly rare breed - women war correspondents.

The film focuses on Janine di Giovanni, an American reporter who covers Sarajevo for London's Sunday Times, and Lyse Doucet who covers the "forgotten war" in Afghanistan for the BBC. As they and a number of other correspondents, including Clare Hollingworth who became a legend covering World War II for the Daily Telegraph, Martha Teichner, and Ann Medina speak of their experiences and personal sacrifices, many common traits are revealed. All are extremely independent, and not one has had a child - Hollingworth's husband even went so far as to divorce her on grounds of desertion

http://icarusfilms.c...o/no_man_s.html

Did order her book though!

Posted Image

'Janine di Giovanni has described war in a way that almost makes me think it never needs to be described again. This is it, modern war: If you don't want to know what it's really like, don't pick up this book. I can honestly say that I finished this book a wiser, more compassionate person than when I started.'
– Sebastian Junger, author of The Perfect Storm

'Janine di Giovanni took ten years out of her life to report on all those terrible wars in the former Yugoslavia. She tells us what it was really like on the frontline - the squalor, the terror, the barbarity, and the randomness of death. But there was also comradeship, hope, glory and, occasionally, the triumph of the human spirit.'
– Phillip Knightley

#26 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

I just finished reading this book and thought y'all might enjoy it...

http://en.m.wikipedi..._of_Khair_Khana

Fascinating, uplifting, inspiring read. Most of the story occurs in Afghanistan pre-9/11. I was riveted by the stories of these women who had to adapt in a world where their rights were being taken away with each passing day. Yet, they managed to thrive and prosper in spite of it. Amazing.

#27 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

That does sound interesting. Think I would be more interested in the pre 9/11 aspects; the post 9/11 may be a bit difficult to read.

#28 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

Talking about a book to get...

Revolt in Syria: Eyewitness to the Uprising
Posted Image

From the INSI site:
http://newssafetyblo...syria/#more-412

#29 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:16 AM

Two more to add to the list! I know Amazon and USPS must love me.

I have to admit until the HBO special "Hemingway and Gellhorn" a month or so ago, I had never heard of Martha Gellhorn. I am so glad I watched (altho the whole time I kept thinking the Hemingway guy really looked like Kevin Kline). I ordered the book compiling her articles from the Spanish War thro the Wars in Central America - "The Face of War". I skipped to the articles about Finland in WWII and was fascinated. Great writing and as soon as the Sox lose tonight will go back and start from the begining.

#30 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:42 AM

Just sent the name of the Afghani book to the college age son of the Afghani Ambassador to Egypt. We're Twitter friends.

#31 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:17 AM

Two more to add to the list! I know Amazon and USPS must love me.

I have to admit until the HBO special "Hemingway and Gellhorn" a month or so ago, I had never heard of Martha Gellhorn. I am so glad I watched (altho the whole time I kept thinking the Hemingway guy really looked like Kevin Kline). I ordered the book compiling her articles from the Spanish War thro the Wars in Central America - "The Face of War". I skipped to the articles about Finland in WWII and was fascinated. Great writing and as soon as the Sox lose tonight will go back and start from the begining.

I saw Hemingway and Gelhorn about a while ago on HBO. It was a great movie - Nicole Kidman did an excellent job! I never heard of Gellhorn either until they did a piece on her on NPR shortly before the release of the HBO movie. Tragic really, her story isn't better known. If Hemingway was half the jerk he seems to be in the movie, then he really is an A1 a-hole. Hope I didn't give it away.

By the way, SS, I put In the Land of Blood and Honey on my netflix list. I am very curious!

#32 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

To Hell and Back: Personal Experiences of Trauma and How We Recover and Move on - author John Marzillier

Posted Image

http://www.amazon.co...3203203-4264326

War Correspondent Janine di Giovanni was interviewed for this book.

Edited by Solar System, 31 August 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#33 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

Charlize Theron in talks to play war reporter Marie Colvin

http://www.guardian....lvin?CMP=twt_gu

Interesting. Charlize has been a bit hit and miss lately. If she does do this role, and her performance in this movie is anything like her performance in the movie "Monster," then this should be good. But if she pulls a "Battle in Seattle" type performance...
I'm just glad that the story of Marie has been optioned.

#34 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:26 AM

I know what you mean about Charlize being hit and miss. She was also great in North Country. I was really disappointed with Young Adult, though. Overall, I do think Theron has a lot of talent and to have such a big name play Colvin is an honor.

#35 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

Posted Image

Synopsis

"Sandstorm" is the best kind of reportage: humane, historically-informed and full of details that only a writer close to the action could have noticed. The overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi has been one of the twent...
Read more

#36 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

What an awesome article in The Telegraph: Sky's Alex Crawford

http://www.telegraph...front-line.html

Posted Image

I have her book but have yet to read it, think I will right after I start and finish the book Modlib recommended. 8-)

#37 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

Ms. Crawford got raves for her coverage of the Arab Spring.

#38 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

From Twitter:
Ivan Watson@IvanCNN

"Ed Kennedy's War"-EXCELLENT memoir of World War II censorship by star AP correspondent who was black-listed for reporting Nazi surrender

#39 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

From INSI twitter:

INSIoriginal_normal.jpgINSI

In memory of Marie Colvin and Remi Ochlik killed in Syria 1 year ago today, we support    http://www.adaywithoutnews.com     @newssafety

Edited by Solar System, 22 February 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#40 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

For SS, especially, 

Here's a review by fellow photographer Lynsey Addario of a book about Tim Hetherington a photographer who was killed in Misrata during the war in Libya.  

http://www.thedailyb...-here-i-am.htmlere .  

Edited by Carolina Argentina, 27 April 2013 - 09:16 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users