Photo

The Newsroom (HBO series)

11 replies to this topic

#1 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

Surprised no one made a thread for this. It's a new Aaron Sorkin HBO show about a fictional news channel ACN and it's prime time (8pm) show called Newsnight.

It's basically a show made for us, news junkies, CNN followers and it seems like it was very much inspired by the current situation at CNN and all the troubles and challenges it's facing, especially with the whole dumbing down of news and celebrity culture taking over.

My favorite character is MacKenzie, love her energy and desire to make a real NEWS show. Will they succeed, how will the ratings be, we shall see...

Another interesting thing is that it's set in 2010 and the first big news they follow is the oil spill. I guess they will cover many other real events and that makes the show even more interesting.

I love how they built a real newsroom, real set, the plasma screens in the background have CNN (with it's 2010 look, AJ, BBC and their own channel ACN). ACN's graphics are basically CNN's current one, that's funny.

Watched first 2 episodes so far, 3. aired few days ago, it features Jane Fonda, another CNN connection. Critical reception has been mixed but I've seen a lot of praise from viewers on Twitter. I personally love the show and will stick with it, it's like they made a perfect show for me.

We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#2 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

I've watched all 3 episodes so far - I love looking at the tv screens in the background to pick out which ones are running real CNN. You better watch the most recent episode ginnyfan, there is a shot if Mackensie in front of a bank of flatscreens with Anderson Cooper's big head on one of them!

Oh, and Jane Fonda rocks in this show!!!

#3 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

^ I'll watch it tomorrow, watched episode 2 just now. I love the excitement and energy of working in the newsroom, my dream job really. I bet all kind of drama happens and we'll see it here.

CNNers probably see a lot of familiar stuff and themes in it.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#4 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:21 PM

Love this show. I'm a Jeff Daniels fan, so it's good to see him in something high-profile like this.

#5 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:19 AM

Watched the first three episodes so far and as a genuine news junkie I love it.

I agree with ginnyfan, it seems that it was either inspired by what's going on at CNN or at least the message they're trying to send is mostly aimed at CNN (cause Fox and MSNBC really can't get out of the mud). The graphics rip off is another bit that reinforces this theory. I actually wonder what will happen when CNN eventually changes its graphics in the series.

The third episode brings up the key issue you don't get to hear or read about so often - the corporate influence on news content. If I had to choose someone to take the role of big corporation CEO in this series, Jane Fonda would be my pick as well. She's perfect! Oh, and Jeff Daniels rocks!

#6 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

For all you Newsroom fans, Jeff Daniels will be on Hardball with Chris Matthews this Thursday. I am sure you can peel away from CNN to catch it or use your DVR! Did you know Chris Matthews' son is in the show? Not a big part but you can tell Chris is a proud papa.

#7 hfiles

hfiles

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:06 AM

I watched the pilot episode tonight. I really enjoyed it! The question now is how do I get more? It's only available from HBO right now, correct? (and not iTunes/Amazon/Hulu)

#8 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:08 AM

I watched the pilot episode tonight. I really enjoyed it! The question now is how do I get more? It's only available from HBO right now, correct? (and not iTunes/Amazon/Hulu)

I think you can only get it if you have hbo. It's not on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, or iTunes. Give it a few months and it will probably be available via Netflix.

#9 hfiles

hfiles

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:41 AM

I think you can only get it if you have hbo. It's not on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, or iTunes. Give it a few months and it will probably be available via Netflix.

Sad day. It's a great show, but I'm not sure it's worth $15/month to get HBO.

#10 NZCNNFan

NZCNNFan

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

Could we keep most Newsroom show discussion here. Thanks

"The people who watch Fox are not going to watch CNN. You know, let's be honest" Fareed Zakaria

#11 GradyACN

GradyACN

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:46 AM

Could we keep most Newsroom show discussion here. Thanks

NZcnnfan I didn't know this thread was here till just now haha

DF0AiCd.gif

GradyACN your home for TV themes and opens, & mock studio designs https://www.youtube....er/Gradyconnell

CNNi, CNN US and HLN studio usage and rough schedule   <--Please update as you see fit

#12 NZCNNFan

NZCNNFan

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:48 AM

Interesting how they bring John King and how CNN screwed up during Boston into the storyline.

"The people who watch Fox are not going to watch CNN. You know, let's be honest" Fareed Zakaria

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users