716 replies to this topic

#1 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:57 AM

What aspect ratio does CNN Domestic transmit in? Are they going out in 16:9 or just 4:3 still?

#2 Nexties

Nexties

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:02 AM

This is a very good topic. A little technical, but anyone wanting to have clear video, instead of fuzzy video on YouTube may want to read about what Morpium is discussing here.

Morpium, Video properties specify how video is captured and movies are saved.

Video format:
a. NTSC
b. PAL

Aspect ratio:

a. 4:3
b. 16:9

http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/lFVJTCQlCu0&autoplay=1

Video format
Specifies the video format used for recording a movie back to tape. The format determines the video format used by the DV camera, which varies by country or region. The current video format also determines the NTSC or PAL settings when capturing video or saving movies. For more information, consult the documentation provided with your DV camera.

Aspect ratio
Specifies the aspect ratio for your saved movies, which is the relation of the width to the height, of the video display for your final saved movie. You can select width to height ratio of 16:9 when saving a movie, or you can select 4:3 as the aspect ratio. Video converted between the two aspect ratios may cause the final saved movie to appear distorted during playback.

From personal trial and error rendering video on a PC for YouTube: It seems 4.3 NTSC Video for broadband (512 Kbps) provides the highest video and audio quality playback and smallest file size for YouTube. However, this can vary depending on the DV camera and by Region.

Please kindly post back about aspect ratio 14:9 ... Thank you.

#3 The Workaholic

The Workaholic

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:34 PM

I don’t think it has something to do with widescreen, but the difference between PAL and NTSC.
PAL was always better than NTSC because analogue PAL has 625 lines and NTSC 525. PAL is simply sharper because of more image-lines = a better resolution.
Using digital video nowadays, a PAL-image (MPEG2/DVD) has 720x576 pixels, whereas NTSC has only 720x480 pixels. The actual image on your screen however is in both systems 4:3.
The screen caps I make with PowerDVD are taken from the full-screen playback, which is on my monitor 1024x768.
The aspect ratio of 1024x768 is exactly 1.33:1 (4:3).
If you make captures in the original PAL 720x576 size the aspect ratio is 1.25:1. This is almost the same as the intended 4:3.
But if you capture NTSC in the original 720x480 size the aspect-ratio is 1.50:1 (3:2). That is why such NTSC caps look flat.
The same happened to those flat videos. Somewhere in the videoconversion-process the original aspect ratio (4:3) has been lost.

My 4:3 capture reduced to 720 pixels width:

Posted Image

PAL cap from my video-editing software:

Posted Image

The same after conversion to NTSC:

Posted Image

#4 Nexties

Nexties

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:22 AM

@The Workaholic: Your avatar is totally cool. It is a little bit like the pictures on the wall in the Harry Potter movie. That is a very nice effect (and surprise) the way it comes to life.

#5 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:14 PM

Hi Guys!

Has anyone else noticed that the 'LIVE' image has changed slightly? Or is it just me?

#6 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:36 PM

Hi Guys!

Has anyone else noticed that the 'LIVE' image has changed slightly? Or is it just me?

No, you are correct - It has changed. Sorry for the quality of the cap - I took it from an internet stream.

I think the new LIVE bug looks much better. It doesn't seem so out of place now.

Posted Image

#7 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:40 PM

Hi Guys!

No, you are correct - It has changed. Sorry for the quality of the cap - I took it from an internet stream.

I think the new LIVE bug looks much better. It doesn't seem so out of place now.

Posted Image

I have a feeling that it was new to go with CNN HD! How do you watch CNN US on the internet? Pay service?

#8 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:14 AM

I have a feeling that it was new to go with CNN HD! How do you watch CNN US on the internet? Pay service?

No. There is a stream of CNN US on the internet. It comes and goes, but it's usually pretty stable.

I can't remember if you're in the U.S. or not, but I can send a link to it via a PM if you like.

#9 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:39 AM

That would be awsome if you could :) Even though all I have to do is lean over and turn on the TV :P

#10 theBlockerPH

theBlockerPH

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:37 AM

hmm... everything seems to change now. for CNN USA videos on CNN.com.
so that's why the reason why they are being broadcast in 16:9...

#11 CNN Viewer

CNN Viewer

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:55 AM

I like the new LIVE bug...sorta. For The Situation Room, the older one looked better because it was simple and transparent. This one, with the black background, works better in some programs than others. I think adding a color might help.
CNN, The World News Leader.

#12 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:10 AM

I like the new LIVE bug...sorta. For The Situation Room, the older one looked better because it was simple and transparent. This one, with the black background, works better in some programs than others. I think adding a color might help.

I would hope it becomes more flashy soon, CNNi's has the spinning globe, which is really cool, there on CNNUS, they have to deal with just 'LIVE' and nothing more.

#13 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:43 PM

Saw a little pop up on my TV scrren to push a button for CNN Enhanced and had never heard of it:

The system will allow subscribers to view graphically rich headlines and stories, vote in polls and access CNN.com without leaving their television sets. Built by OpenTV, CNN Enhanced TV enables DISH Network to make many CNN.com stories available from a range of categories, including Top Stories, U.S. & World, Technology & Science, Sports, Showbiz & Health and Business. (only on Dish TV)
http://broadcastengi...ed-TV-20060215/

It is really pretty neat - just like having CNN.com on the TV.
Does any know of any other News channel that do this?

#14 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:45 PM

Does any know of any other News channel that do this?

We have a thing called Sky News Active down here. I know that Sky News in the U.K. (and I think BBC News Channel) has it as well.

Here's a video of Sky News Active I made last year. I'm not sure if it's the same thing. You press a red button to access SNA when you're watching the channel.

#15 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:45 PM

I think Sky News in the UK had that for almost a decade now, BBC copied them later of course.
It is great, I wish CNNI would do something interactive like that, not only that I report crap.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#16 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:46 PM

Posted Image

#17 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:09 PM

^^^

That's pretty cool. How do I get my hands on that?

#18 Paul

Paul

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:01 AM

The Weather Channel introduced a similar feature a few weeks ago, though I haven't seen it on CNN yet for DirecTV.

#19 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:41 AM

The US is getting new graphics. Not sure what it means, guess I'll have to tape some to see it. Is CNNI next?

CNN is revamping its graphic look in an effort to makes its news updates easier for viewers to read and understand. The biggest change to CNN’s previous graphic presentation, which has been in place since 2004, is to replace the narrow scrolling news ticker that runs along the bottom of the screen with a wider “flipper” graphic that presents information one item at a time.
http://www.broadcast...ndustryid=47171

Personally, I hate all crawls or flippers or whatevers. CNN US/I should just dump them.

#20 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:47 AM

I like that pic, you can see CNN I influence there. This might be a revolution for US news channels graphics.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users