#21 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:04 AM

^^^

Thanks for that, Houston. I'm looking forward to this. While CNNUS has the best graphics of all of the domestic US news channels, the screen is still very cluttered and can't compare to CNNI's clean graphics. I was worried that CNNI would be dumping the flipper in 2009 to return to the flipper, but seeing that CNNUS is adopting the flipper dispels my prediction. It sounds like this flipper will be more advanced, however, since the article mentioned how it will also be used to display information about the story on the screen.

This should be good. CNNUS has been due for an update for a while.

#22 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:17 AM

The US is getting new graphics. Not sure what it means, guess I'll have to tape some to see it. Is CNNI next?

CNN is revamping its graphic look in an effort to makes its news updates easier for viewers to read and understand. The biggest change to CNN’s previous graphic presentation, which has been in place since 2004, is to replace the narrow scrolling news ticker that runs along the bottom of the screen with a wider “flipper” graphic that presents information one item at a time.
http://www.broadcast...ndustryid=47171

Personally, I hate all crawls or flippers or whatevers. CNN US/I should just dump them.

Good find, Houston. I can't wait to see it work on screen.

It's interesting that they are moving the CNN bug back to screen right.

One thing I don't like about them is the constant need for CNNUS to have a graphic of the program's name - IT IS POINTLESS! Honestly - it's a waste of real estate.

EDIT: After looking at the picture again, I could see how these would easily be adapted for CNNI! I think it would be great if CNN were going the way of BBC News Channel and BBC World News by creating one set of graphics for both channels. Simulcasts of either network would never look messy or out of place again!

#23 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:20 AM

From the picture from that given site above;; it doesnt look nice to me.. :( :(

#24 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:29 AM

From the picture from that given site above;; it doesnt look nice to me.. :( :(

If they got rid of the program logo graphic (which overshadows the actual network bug) I think it looks cleaner than what they currently have.

Again, I'll wait to see how they actually look and work on screen when they debut in just a couple of hours before I make a proper assessment.

#25 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:14 AM

Please upload or send a link to the screenshots once available.

Also why do you think unlike BBC World News with BBC News, and CNBC's global channels, CNN's channels don't have a uniform graphics scheme since 1998?
CNN - The worldwide leader in news
CNN/I - Go beyond borders

#26 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:30 AM

Please upload or send a link to the screenshots once available.

Also why do you think unlike BBC World News with BBC News, and CNBC's global channels, CNN's channels don't have a uniform graphics scheme since 1998?

Don't you watch CNNUS ans Inter during joint programs it is very messy and disjointed.
The graphics isn't revolutionary. The flipper/low third is not very new. Sky news had that except the time was on the other side. I see where CNN is going Box, Boxy, Boxxer.
Why is there an American Morning Logo. If you are going to go clean just do it.
I hate the live logo in the box. It is too big, when everyone is trying to hide that logo it is all out there. Why make your Logo and your live bug the same.

#27 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:11 PM

Since AM is on air can someone confirm the new graphics are intruduced???

I like what I can see on that photo, more free space with those subtitle graphics just like CNNI.
It would be great if both channels would have the same look just like BBC.

If someone can, please post some pics.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#28 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:20 PM

I like what I can see on that photo, more free space with those subtitle graphics just like CNNI.

yes they have

#29 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:27 PM

yes they have

From what I hear, I would expect this package more from CNN/I. You may be mistaken for thinking this is a seriously much better version of CNN/I's existing graphics pack. I frankly don't know why CNN/US beat CNN/I to this.
CNN - The worldwide leader in news
CNN/I - Go beyond borders

#30 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:30 PM

I did capture it but I am finding it hard to post. How do you do it

#31 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:37 PM

Go to imageshack and upload there and then post links here.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#32 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:50 PM

Here it is Ginny
http://insidecablene...g-lower-thirds/

As you can see it is still not free yet.

#33 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:00 PM

With the expected relaunch of CNNI I would not be surprised of CNN copied the BBC and had the same look for their domestic and international channels.

#34 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:07 PM

With the expected relaunch of CNNI I would not be surprised of CNN copied the BBC and had the same look for their domestic and international channels.

CNNI and CNNUS is going for that box look. CNNUS hasn't change it oversized graphics yet so it is not complete yet. Yes they will follow the BBC lead and use the same graphics for both channels so it doesn't look messy and crazy.
When will CNNI start using these cause we all know this will be what they will use.

#35 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for the photo zack10.

I like the headline graphic but the stuff around the logo is too much. It's strange to see flipper on CNN US, it looks fresh and clean.

We don't know if CNNI will take them, maybe they won't, after all these graphics are only about 3 years old.

#36 MLB1510

MLB1510

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:21 PM

Watching CNN Newsroom now. The graphics look like American Morning meets CNN International. They have the boxy look of AM with the white flipper at the bottom.

The Headline News flipper looks really nice in blue, with CNN.com mentioned like on the International graphics.

#37 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:23 PM

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the new graphics. While it isn't as clean as CNNi, it's definitly heading towards the right direction.

It's a good change for US viewers.

#38 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:28 PM

Why do they have to add all of that around it is just stupid.
This graphics will make Fox to change their graphics (doubt it) but it shows that CNNUS can total move away from the way how US graphics have always been "the more the better". I switch the channel and Fox news look so dated. I guess they finally get it that a lot of Americans are looking for less now, from cars to homes. When will the conservative Fox News get it and how will Neo Cons react. MSNBC is just fine I like their graphics. Whenever they want it to get out of the way they can.

#39 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:38 PM

Some poor caps from CNN Observations
Posted Image
Posted Image
The flipper has been cut off my the telle.

#40 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:39 PM

I like the headline graphic but the stuff around the logo is too much. It's strange to see flipper on CNN US, it looks fresh and clean.

After watching CNN for a few minutes, I can see where you're going with this. That LIVE bug should be moved to the top left hand corner like it was before. Headline News has the right idea.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users