716 replies to this topic

#41 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for the pictures guys..I really dont have much to say about the new graphics...have to see it personally tonight..As for now; the ticker looks very similar to CNNI's; although I thought it would be black; not white..They have seriously ruined the Live and the CNN logo...
I guess this is the first time the domestic network actually copied something from CNNI;s.

#42 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:48 PM

My problem is that I don't see the black "flipper" where headlines not necessarily related to the story currently featured doesn't show-up. In case it shows up, what times of the hour do we normally expect it to pop-out?

Also, it is worth noting that when CNN/I and other international networks change their on-screen appearance, so as the title sequences for their programmes, CNN/US does not change their programme titles when overhauling their general graphics.
CNN - The worldwide leader in news
CNN/I - Go beyond borders

#43 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:59 PM

I like how they incorporated the clock into the flipper. The old graphics were on air all the time and took almost 1/3 of the screen.

One question about the old graphics, I remember when they first used them in 2004 they were smaller, CNN logo and everything was small and then they made them bigger like their old graphics. Why was that?
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#44 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

I like how they incorporated the clock into the flipper. The old graphics were on air all the time and took almost 1/3 of the screen.

One question about the old graphics, I remember when they first used them in 2004 they were smaller, CNN logo and everything was small and then they made them bigger like their old graphics. Why was that?

I guess in 2005 the Klein and Co. ultimately figured it was easier to read larger graphics.

#45 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:10 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#46 hfiles

hfiles

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:12 PM

As far as the old graphics package goes: It was sometimes hard to read the graphics before they Supersized them. Yeah, it wasn't quite as good looking, but it really did make it easier to read from across the room.

#47 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:57 PM

I like what we can see in Houston's caps.

Is that an all female American Morning?
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#48 Paul

Paul

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:58 PM

I LOVE THE NEW LOOK!
Finally, CNN US does something well done in terms of their graphics.
The ones before were absolutely terrible, I'm majoring in Broadcast Design and Motion Graphics and the way they designed the last lower-thirds were absolutely terrible.

This is a nice fresh update, and the ticker is finally easier to read, I don't have to follow that annoying scrollbar that basically every news station in the United States uses. It was terrible.

I love the new look in terms of the lower-thirds as well, the placement of the CNN and LIVE are okay, it's a nice change, but I don't like how the DOW part is randomly integrated into it as I'm watching it right now.

What I hope for is an overhaul of CNN Newsroom and Situation Room graphics to flow better with the new lower-thirds and ticker.

It's a nice update. Also Headline News is using new ticker as well, it's different than CNN US though.

EDIT: One thing I noticed is that the US Ticker is used with the lower-thirds too.

For example: They were talking about an avalanche so the main lower-third said "DEADLY AVALANCHE" then the ticker right below it said "Skier killed in a deadly avalanche" like it was frozen with the story they were talking about it. I'm not sure if I like that.

#49 hfiles

hfiles

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:03 PM

Yellow is indeed the new color for Breaking News. The Breaking News banner looks very similar to the newer version of CNNi's.

#50 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:40 PM

That's great, I was wondering will they follow CNNI in that department too.
Can't wait to see it all in about an hour.

#51 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:25 PM

The only sticking point will be if the bottom part will be superimposed by CNN/I's flipper. The bottom part of the screen for CNN/US is now a important part to understanding the story. So far I haven't seen the black flipper.

#52 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:03 PM

This is a big step up for CNNUS. Their old graphics package was the simplest of all of the US cable news channels, but it was still a bit jumbled. These new graphics are excellent compared to the old ones and they take a few pages out of CNNI's book. The only things that bother me are the large show logos next to the CNN logo (I know I'm watching the Situation Room, I don't need to be reminded!) and that I have yet to see the flipper...flip. All it has done so far is give a little more detail about the story on the screen.

I can see where CNNI might adopt a version of these graphics in the next month or two, but it's hard to say whether or not they will continue to have separate packages. CNN is playing two separate games here-- in the US, it's all about keeping the viewer from changing the channel whereas in the international news arena, the news channels actually care about journalistic integrity. These graphics could work for CNNI, but I wouldn't be surprised if they continued to use different graphics.

#53 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:19 PM

Maybe I should tape US more often - need to capitalize iraq.
But, my point here is that huge "coming up" box. Too big.
And I am sure that will be used all the time - especially for the silly countdowns (Only 8 hrs 13 mins 2 sec to Andy in PIP!!! - funny how it came in fourth in its time slot.)
Posted Image
Again, I just don't understand why they need to take up a fourth of the screen tell us what we are listening to. It's redundant and if I want to read the news - I have a newspaper. They can streamline all they want - it is still clutter.

#54 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:28 PM

I just saw the black flipper. It's very cool and works almost the same way the CNNI flipper does, only everything says "UPDATE" in red on the left side. The only thing I don't understand is why they use it so little. It came on for about a minute when Zain was doing a briefing in the Situation Room and then it went away.

#55 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:45 AM

Wow, i'm really pleased with the update to CNN US' graphics. They look 100% better, and with this new setup, they can manipulate the graphics to whatever they want now, and it has that tinge of CNNi. I approve!

#56 kauefranqueirafan

kauefranqueirafan

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:04 AM

CNN NEWSROOM

Attached Files

• Attached File  51.jpg   45.19KB   439 downloads

#57 kauefranqueirafan

kauefranqueirafan

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:19 AM

CNN HD

Attached Files

• Attached File  KC.jpg   104.6KB   838 downloads
  • Attached File  p15.jpg   85.73KB   431 downloads
  • Attached File  p26.jpg   108.99KB   843 downloads

#58 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:21 AM

charles you have a point... In the US, shows are more personality-driven and executives want to put on air stories that ellicit more drama. You notice the BBC rarely sticks to a single story when it is classified as breaking news and then moves on to other stories rather quickly.

Going back to graphics, for CNN/I viewers, did you see the US flipper at the bottom? Last I checked it was superimposed by CNN/I's flipper.

#59 kauefranqueirafan

kauefranqueirafan

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:32 AM

American Morning

#60 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:49 AM

Amazing HD caps, thanks. :shock: :shock: :shock:
I wish CNN I would air in 16:9 too. :( :?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users