105 replies to this topic

#1 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

Thought it might be fitting to have a thread for Zucker and all his changes.

Recent news: Rachel Nichols Leaves ESPN For CNN, Turner Sports

“We’re just thrilled that a sports journalist of Rachel’s stature and expertise will now be a regular part of the CNN lineup,” said Zucker in a statement. “Her arrival, beginning next week, is an important step in expanding the range of programming and storytelling on CNN.”

http://www.mediabist...-sports_b164127

Hmm, this seems like a good move. At least in CNN's breadth of coverage.

#2 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

I've always been split as to whether sport should be included on Domestic. It has been in the past, and it is on International and other channels, but I've often thought that ESPN, regional sports networks, and local affiliates are too strong for CNN to ever compete with sports programming in the U.S. I'm not opposed to the reintroduction of more sports on Domestic, but I don't necessarily think it'll work.

This is more interesting though in that it really demonstrates Zucker's vision for CNN. He wants a range of news topics on CNN, not just politics and talk. I've also often said that CNN could be more like NPR— a balanced mix of hard news, politics, and international affairs along with interesting culture and general information features. If it turns out like that, I'll be on board. If it turns into an MSNBC-like lineup of quasi-news related reruns and little live news on weekends and other times, I'm not.

Edited by Charles, 25 January 2013 - 08:01 AM.

#3 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

If CNN's revamped line-up includes a bit of "everything" then great. Because as it stands CNN doesn't lend itself to continuous viewing. But CNN has to fix the very thing they are known for...news. 

As for sports, I actually prefer a show dedicated to sports as opposed to sports included in a news broadcast.

CNN has the capability of being something for everyone but obviously did not possess the leadership to achieve that, hopefully now it does. Time will tell.

#4 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

Charles, that is exactly why I like NPR is because it mixes all kinds of topics in a smart and interesting way. NPR is a great model for CNN. I don't really follow sports but sometimes I hear them talk about it on NPR and I get sucked in - not expecting to be at all interested. CNN shouldn't try to compete with ESPN but a show about sports on the weekend might just be the variety they need to bring in new viewers and stay interesting for longer viewing. As Solar System said, they still need to fix their news gathering and editorial processes first. A sports show and Morgan Spurlock ain't gonna save the place!

#5 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

At least an American Sports show on the weekend will not focus on International football.  Thank god! 

The snowman at Davos built by the CNN crew is named "Jeff."  Hmmmm.  Wonder why they picked that name.....

Edited by Carolina Argentina, 25 January 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#6 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

So far batting a 1000

Arrival of Jake Tapper  :thumbup:

Arrival of Rachel Nichols  :thumbup:

Arrival of Chris Cuomo  :thumbup:

Departure of Mark Whitaker  :thumbup:

Departure of 3 Contributors  :thumbup:

#7 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Yep, the new hires have been good. They definitely have to cull more contributors. Ahem, I'm lookin' at you will cain and roland martin.

#8 hundnz

hundnz

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

The Observer newspaper of London has a large piece today on CNN and Zucker. The whole piece is a must-read. An extract:

Though he has officially been in the job for barely a week, Zucker has already taken a scalpel to the channel's roster of stars, sending famous names packing and bringing in fresh faces. He has signalled he intends to take the channel on a new path – less serious news, more entertainment and sport. More personality among its anchors and less po-faced political analysis.

To some that will be a shock. The concept of US cable news on a 24-hour nonstop cycle was invented by CNN 33 years ago when the channel was launched by media mogul Ted Turner. Since then Fox News and MSNBC have popped up domestically while the BBC and Al Jazeera, and a host of national rivals from countries such as Russia, China, Germany and Iran have also emerged with 24-hour networks.

Yet CNN is now struggling in its own backyard. While the international version remains ubiquitous in hotel rooms the world over, its US incarnation is fighting to remain relevant in the genre that it invented. It regularly languishes in third place in the ratings behind Fox News and MSNBC. Its style of news has become a joke for media savvy comedians such as Jon Stewart, who mock its struggle to make its voice heard in the increasingly crowded US broadcasting landscape. Indeed, with Al Jazeera preparing to launch a US channel, there is a fear that CNN may soon end up fourth in the US ratings.

#9 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

All articles about him so far agree that his aim is less real news, more entertainment and sport. If this is really thrue than theres no way anything good can come out of this. Ratings mighy improve but CNN as a news channel will be history.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#10 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:09 AM

3 or so of variety TV on the Today show might be successful but I don't know how the Zucker medicine will translate to a 24 hour news organisation. 

#11 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

I am worried of what direction Zucker will take the network in.  However I don't think we can blame him.  CNN's domestic operations, unlike BBC News 24 in the UK, are commercial endeavours.  They don't have the luxury of guaranteed constant revenues (i.e. licence fee) that the BBC enjoys.  CNN is at the mercy of advertisers so it has every prerogative to throw principles out the window if that's what it takes to keep the advertisers from flocking.  This is unlike the BBC which receives licence fee income whether viewers actually watch any of its UK channels or not.  

That said, as far as Zucker's "soft news" approach is concerned, that's what HLN (in its devolved form) is for.  

CNN - The worldwide leader in news
CNN/I - Go beyond borders

#12 kk_kev

kk_kev

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

http://www.dailymail...l#axzz2K8S6QrxW

http://www.mediabist...y-night_b165557

As posted in the Jake Tapper thread, I see this as a test for Jake Tapper at 10, if Zucker is indeed toying with the idea... Moving Cooper to 11, if Tapper at 10 is fixed, would say something about the new 7pm offering as well (if Burnett does move to mornings), as its replay slot is lost, I guess the new direction at 7pm would be more news-driven and less topical, thus not fit for replay.

previosuly kev

#13 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Quite a few bits in this article. Schedule wise there is this interesting nugget

It was, however, announced in the Washington town hall held by Zucker that political programming would diminish but that overall programming would increase from the Washington bureau come one year from now.

http://www.mediabist...f-zucker_b95572

Seems odd to have non-political programming from Washington - which is what the above infers to me - when CNN has Atlanta and New York

#14 kk_kev

kk_kev

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:04 AM

I take it they'll amalgamate IDesk and NR International, and let Hala present from DC permanently?

previosuly kev

#15 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

^^^ Now wouldn't that be something?

So far batting a 1000

Arrival of Jake Tapper  :thumbup:

Arrival of Rachel Nichols  :thumbup:

Arrival of Chris Cuomo  :thumbup:

Departure of Mark Whitaker  :thumbup:

Departure of 3 Contributors  :thumbup:

Retaining John King :thumbup:

Not familiar with Zain Asher or her work but I'll give this a thumbs up if it means less of Alison Kosik.  :thumbup:

#16 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

I take it they'll amalgamate IDesk and NR International, and let Hala present from DC permanently?

NO, NO, NO!!!!

#17 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Just to clarify, is CNN/I and HLN also under Zucker's control or is it mostly or entirely CNN/US?

#18 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

Hes the boss of everything under CNN brand but his first focus is on "fixing" domestic, which is why he was brought.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#19 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

To borrow a quote from the BBC management crisis after the Saville affair, CNN is slowly but surely "get[ting] a grip" with Zucker.

#20 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Jeff Zucker certainly has grasped what the strengths of CNN are (its past & many of its personnel) and taken quick steps to highlight them while he figures out what else to do.   Good management strategy.  

And since Ivan Watson got promoted to Sr. Int. Corr. after Zucker arrived, I have to think it's his idea.  

Edited by Carolina Argentina, 17 February 2013 - 11:52 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users