105 replies to this topic

#21 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hes the boss of everything under CNN brand but his first focus is on "fixing" domestic, which is why he was brought.

My prediction is that CNN/I will probably have more autonomy, perhaps relocate its HQ to London.  This is to allow Zucker to continue focusing on "get[ting] a grip" on the mother network.  As far as CNN-WW's management is concerned, CNN/I is generally fine and not subject to vulnerabilities plaguing the US market.  

Just my two cents.

Edited by headliner101, 18 February 2013 - 05:43 PM.

CNN - The worldwide leader in news
CNN/I - Go beyond borders

#22 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

I hope Zucker is going to remodel CNNI as well. CNNI was at its best when it was a real newchannel with news at the top of every hour and rolling BN coverage whenever and wherever it happend. Today there is too much sports, business programming and sponsored content in the lineup. I would say CNNI has suffered as a brand, despite that poll that CNNI is quoting in its promos that says otherwise ("#1 international newsbrand in the world")

#23 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

What's pathetic about CNN/I is that once every 6 hours, a magazine show airs.  To put it in perspective, BBC WN has increased live news programming for the past 7 years whilst CNN/I has decreased it.  It was around 3 years ago when BBC WN has reduced magazine programmes to a 3-minute segment right before the start of selected hours during weekdays.  I hope Zucker "gets a grip" on that...

Edited by headliner101, 18 February 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#24 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:03 AM

Not sure where to put this, but since Zucker must have had his hands in it, I guess it can go here. There was a live handover between Wolf (sitting in for Cooper on AC 360) and Piers after a really long time.

#25 kk_kev

kk_kev

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

After the Jake Tapper special earlier, another instance of 10pET switch-up: this Friday's 10pET AC360 will not be a regular replay; rather, a special report on Chris Dorner will be aired. I'm sensing Zucker in this - paving way for the rumoured 10p new show?

previosuly kev

#26 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

There was one last Friday on Dorner as well - and it was repeated Saturday and Sunday. CNN/US also showed the same PMT on Friday, Saturday AND Sunday. Not exactly going to keep viewers watching showing the same two shows in primetime three days in a row!

#27 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

This is so NOT COOL!!

http://m.nypost.com/...disQIzTlt8EkkYM

Erin to the mornings, Soledad out, round the clock coverage of the poo cruise?!?! I like Cuomo and Tapper but that's not enough for me. Soledad has the dignity to refuse fashion and cooking segments for morning shows, but clearly Erin has no standards.

#28 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

Mod,

If this turns out to be true, sorry to you. It's quite affecting when one of your favs is not getting what we may think they deserve.  As for Erin Burnett, I'm just not understanding what all these execs see in her.  What exact talent does she bring to the table?

#29 kk_kev

kk_kev

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

JUST IN:  http://nyti.ms/Vz7uso A Brian Stelter scoop - After leaving "Starting Point", Soledad will head a production company to supply docos for CNN on a nonexclusive basis.

I guess this one will eventually come back at CNN. Just imagine the most hard-hitting Soledad docos appearing on MSNBC or (gasp!) even AJ America, while CNN gets the usual stuff.

Edited by kk_kev, 21 February 2013 - 09:13 PM.

previosuly kev

#30 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Wow, kk-kev, I didn't see that coming. If that is what she wants to do, good for her. I like her work so I will watch wherever she ends up. As for CNN, I think this was a really stupid move. If this isn't the clearest sign yet of Zucker wanting to amp up the softball news, I don't know what is. I hope Soledad's docs find success on other stations. It is probably smart she isn't burning bridges but personally, I would be inclined to tell CNN to take their tabloid news and stick it. Clearly, Soledad has more class than I do :D

#31 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

CNN has the right of first refusal on Ms. O'Brien's docs.

#32 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

Given the editorial direction CNN is headed, my guess is CNN will pass on any of Soledad's docs that will require more than an eighth grade education to understand.  As she said in the interview with Stelter, she wanted independence since some of her doc ideas "wouldn't be right for CNN."  Those are the ones I want to see.   She can also freelance on other stations as well.  No doubt, she has intentions of branching out...

http://mediadecoder..../?smid=tw-share

I bet that CNN's first refusal clause has a time limit.

#33 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

First decision by Zucker that I really don't like. Soledad was the only one at CNN who actually pressed for an answer in interviews with politicians. I would have made a bet that she'd get a a political interview show in primetime. No fluff - just tough questions.

With Erin moving to the mornings and Anderson propbably being reduced to one hour and Soledad not getting an evening show that leaves a lot of empty space between 7PM ET and midnight. There were rumors that Ann Curry would join CNN for an 8PM show...

#34 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

They don't seem the least bit interested in anything Soledad and if they pick up more than one of her docs, I'd be surprised. I did read in an article that she is guaranteed a regular paycheck. So, basicially we'll pay you to not work here.

So let me understand... you don't have anything for me here in your building, but you're still willing to pay me and let me shop my stuff to others? This would make me sing out loud, but I'm not in the journalism world. I would think the loss of regular visibility is crushing.

Think Soledad should shop her stuff and herself to Al Jazeera America, the entity that could benefit from something "In America." Think it could work either way for them, Soledad has a lot of detractors but she also has a lot of fans, so the recognition of such a high profile journalist could be beneficial to them.

. Clearly, Soledad has more class than I do :D

:rofl: :rofl:  :rofl:

#35 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

I've earlier said that as much as we don't like what is happening to live and "hard news," the reality is the US telly market is heavily drama-driven.  That said, I've been looking at ratings time and again and have found that on a "normal" night without any breaking news and all regularly-scheduled programmes, 'domestic' does poorly in the ratings.  No question about that.  However, when special events occur, scheduled or not, 'domestic' is far more competitive, if not on top.  I think Zucker looked at such trends, as well as coverage of SOTU/Dorner and Carnival.  He is perhaps convinced that it is about making an event seem more "Dorneresque" or "Carnivalesque" because that's how they become competitive.  In simple terms, Zucker's philosophy appears to be this: if something is not there, then make it be there.

Edited by headliner101, 22 February 2013 - 05:36 PM.

#36 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

I think you are exactly right about that headliner101. That approach doesn't seem particularly innovative or original but it can work in terms of ratings. All the changes are fun to watch right now but if that is the content model Zucker is going to employ, it really doesn't matter what "stars" he hires, it will be painful to watch. I really like some of the new anchors on CNN but I don't care how good Cuomo, Berman, or Tapper are - if they are talking poo cruise, I ain't watchin'.

#37 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

Did Morgan do Oscars red carpet last year? This year they have him, Alina, AJ and Mishelle and others all there and full coverage. Could be part of this new Zucker policy?

We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#38 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

Zucker should might as well return CNN's line-up 2 decades ago.  It had Showbiz Today, Sports Tonight and (seriously!) Living in the 90s with Christie Brinkley.  

#39 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

There are reports that Erin Burnett might NOT join Chris Cuomo on a new CNN morning show. The Huffington Post quoted one source that Zucker could ask Robin Meade from HLN to join CNN (everything sounds still highly speculative though). Robin is lively and kinda funny - might be a good choice.

Erin and Chris are anchoring the pope's last day together right now. Maybe they want to check if they have chemistry. So far I don't think so...

http://www.mediabist...e-going_b168818

#40 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

The Robin Meade choice could work out better. She has a lively personality - she is fun and warm and doesn't take herself too seriously. She knows who she is and doesn't try to be something different. I don't think she is hard news material but that doesn't seem to be where Zucker is going for the morning.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users