#41 kk_kev

kk_kev

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

http://www.huffingto...kusaolp00000003

Tamron Hall to CNN?! Cue right wing (and scholars e.g. Jay Rosen) outrage in 3, 2, ...

previosuly kev

#42 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

I like this idea better than Burnett but my guess is this is very unlikely to happen. I think Zucker is just sending signals that 1) see, we do care about diversity and 2) Erin, you're not that special and I can replace you in a millisecond.

Edited by modlib, 04 March 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#43 HaBa

HaBa

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

I might not agree with everything he is doing, but isn't it so good to see that CNN (US, that is) is finally breathing again?

#44 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

Where is his 'Doner-' and 'Carnivalesque' reporting styles lately? The ratings are out for the past weeks are out and are still in the dumps. :(

Hes the boss of everything under CNN brand but his first focus is on "fixing" domestic, which is why he was brought.

If 'domestic' is his priority why didn't they just make him president/controller of that particular division?

Edited by headliner101, 04 March 2013 - 02:38 PM.

CNN - The worldwide leader in news
CNN/I - Go beyond borders

#45 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

First Robin Meade now Tamron Hall - every name that has been floated sounds like a better choice than Erin to me. Tamron is great with breaking news. I could definitely see her on CNN but maybe she just doesn't want to leave msnbc right now.

#46 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

Where is his 'Doner-' and 'Carnivalesque' reporting styles lately? The ratings are out for the past weeks are out and are still in the dumps. :(

Hes the boss of everything under CNN brand but his first focus is on "fixing" domestic, which is why he was brought.

If 'domestic' is his priority why didn't they just make him president/controller of that particular division?

Headliner, 

Good question.  

CNN msfr him the head of the entire shebang, because it wants someone to take a look at the entire business & decide what changes, if any, need to be made to it.  Since CNN Domestic is is such a mess, he's looking at it first.  He has started with the little things -- getting back James Earl Jones, the voice of CNN, for example --   and is reviewing &  revamping all of domestic.  He will get to reviewing International in due course.  In the meantime, he's started with the little things -- like those adlets showing the International reporters introducing themselves & their base cities or making Ivan Watson a Senior International Correspondent, then comes the bigger stuff.  But Int. may not be the next one after Domestic.  It could be CNNTurk or Espanol -- depends on which is in need of the most help.   

I hope he gets to the technical side of CNNi soon.  It doesn't matter how good your international correspondents are if the feed keeps cutting out mid-report.  It happens too often.  

Edited by Carolina Argentina, 12 April 2013 - 03:19 PM.

#47 willhaggle

willhaggle

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

Hi I have not been around for some time ,but still keep an eye on what is happening.Just looked on TVnewser.Looks

as if Jeff Zucker and Phil Kent have concerns about CNN what can they do to liven it up????  Prehaps they should look for that white butterfly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Give you a hint(Chile mine disaster)

#48 alexcs

alexcs

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

Didn't know where best to post this, but I think it fits here:

'America's Most Wanted' may find a home on CNN.

What is quite worrying is one quote from the article, '“Maybe Jeff will say there’s room on this channel, especially with CNN’s international reach,”'. Please, please not on CNNI....

#49 tipster

tipster

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

Headliner, 

Good question.  

CNN msfr him the head of the entire shebang, because it wants someone to take a look at the entire business & decide what changes, if any, need to be made to it.  Since CNN Domestic is is such a mess, he's looking at it first.  He has started with the little things -- getting back James Earl Jones, the voice of CNN, for example --   and is reviewing &  revamping all of domestic.  He will get to reviewing International in due course.  In the meantime, he's started with the little things -- like those adlets showing the International reporters introducing themselves & their base cities or making Ivan Watson a Senior International Correspondent, then comes the bigger stuff.  But Int. may not be the next one after Domestic.  It could be CNNTurk or Espanol -- depends on which is in need of the most help.   

I hope he gets to the technical side of CNNi soon.  It doesn't matter how good your international correspondents are if the feed keeps cutting out mid-report.  It happens too often.  

i would be very surprised if mr. zucker even knows who ivan watson is let alone was the person who decided mr. watson should join the growing ranks of "seniors" at cnni. and cnn turk is not under cnn's control - it's like cnn-ibn  and cnn-chile. .  a franchise of the brand to a local market. And again. . . I'd be very surprised if he was the one who said the reporters should be doing the "this is cnn" line. . . but hey, I could be wrong. Mr. Zucker has a very big challenge with the prime time line up.

#50 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:39 PM

I'm willing to believe your comment on Ivan Watson making Sr.,  But why didn't they do it when they made Sarah Sidner & Arwa Damon Srs?  It wasn't that long ago.  I thought it might be due to anniversary date at CNN, but then, again, I would be surprised if both Ms. Damon & Ms. Sidner had the same anniversary date   I think that Jeff Zucker did make the change to "This is CNN."  Such an easy thing to do.  I can imagine him thinking --- if I get this job, the first thing I'm going to do is bring back James Earl Jones.  But then, I could be wrong.  

But I think my original explanation -- that he's doing some little things and focusing on cleaning up the CNN mess is correct.  The details ,may be wrong.

#51 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:59 AM

An interesting read. Perhaps the most important detail is the line about Piers Morgan's failure.

http://saportareport...-networks-home/ (via ICN)

#52 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

An interesting read. Perhaps the most important detail is the line about Piers Morgan's failure.

That is an interesting read. No one else is mentioned but Piers - whose ratings seem to be declining lately. The purchase of the Strombo show test run this summer should be worrying to Piers and perhaps good for the rest of us. Big changes in the morning are no surprise - I'll reserve judgement until I watch but the fact the Princess Erin won't be on it is a huge step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. I thought it was a bit odd when asked about his dedication to international news, his response was that he is committed to one hour a day at noon. That was a completely unsatisfying answer - I was hoping for a more sophisticated response. Some of the recent successes so far have been in the works pre-Zucker and some of Zucker's moves so far have been really bone-headed. Jury is still very much out and completely undecided.

And when are they gonna start this supposedly grand morning show?!?! Get on it already.

Edited by modlib, 16 April 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#53 alexcs

alexcs

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

That is an interesting read. No one else is mentioned but Piers - whose ratings seem to be declining lately.

I have to be honest, people criticise Erin Burnett (and I'm not her greatest fan) but actually, I think it is Piers Morgan Live and the 10p replay of Anderson Cooper 360 which are the weaker links of primetime now. Morgan's ratings at 9p are really, really not good, and the 10p replay just an hour after the 8p broadcast finished smacks of laziness. Meanwhile, Erin Burnett does very occasionally beat the 7p Hardball replay (it's probably more of a case of this hour being a weak link in the MSNBC schedule) and does better in the ratings at 11p too.

I would move Erin to 10 - she seems to command a greater audience later on - and that way it's still 'primetime', which is stipulated in her contract. AC360 replay should go to 11. As for Piers Morgan...... I have no idea. Having specials, documentaries and so on air at 9 would potentially get in more viewers... Not sure what I'd put at 7. The jury's out on Tapper but his ratings aren't great either. An extra hour of TSR would suffice as a stop-gap. Even a straight news bulletin (with an international focus - maybe presented by Jim and/or Hala) could be fine.

#54 HaBa

HaBa

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

The 10p replay is really poor. A few years ago, CNN used to go live all the way to midnight.

I would give Piers Morgan a try late in the night (11p, maybe?) and build a real news show for the 7p hour to go against Fox, which goes well with a straightforward newscast at that slot. Erin at 10p could turn out to be a good option.

No ideas for the 9p hour, but clearly Piers at that time is a big weakness.

Edited by HaBa, 19 April 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#55 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

I say leave Erin where she is at and when the contract is up, kick her to the curb. She has been on for nearly two years and she doesn't even beat a REPLAY of Hardball. Her replay at 11 also doesn't do that great and typically loses to MSNBC. She is somewhat considered primetime yet she rarely if barely on some occasion breaks the top 30 cable news shows for the quarter. Only as of late with big news happening has she beat Hardball on some occasions but let's face it, when news breaks, a dancing monkey can do well on CNN because people tune in for the brand. If she can't make inroads at 7, she isn't going to do well at 10. She has way too much baggage and not the best reputation to depend on - the economy is a big story still and they can't let her talk about it for five minutes before she gets in trouble. As for big interviews, she is terrible. Tapper is well known and trusted by many even if he's taking a while to get used to the anchor chair. I don't know if Tapper can succeed in primetime but we already know Erin can't.

#56 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:23 AM

Over in the Anna Coren thread, someone comments on Zucker seeming choice of blonds on domestic.  I'm beginning to  think that he wants all of his correspondents to be able to report from anywhere and everywhere.  Cross training, as it were.

I must admit that I don 't follow where the Asian correspondents report from as  I'm not that interested in news from there, but those ME reporters are being sent all over the place. They have ElBagir, Duthiers, Barnett and Curnow to cover Africa.  Why are they sending a Sr. Int. ME reporter to SA to cover the deathwatch? Since you're sending Ian Lee out of the ME, why not send him to SA for the deathwatch?  And why send an ME reporter to China for a month?   

Does anyone have an alternative explanation?  

#57 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

To add to that, Sara Sidner has been in California (probably on vacation with her family) and filed an exclusive report on the flight 214 accident.
NEW DAY, BLACK FRIDAY 2015

BERMAN: Have shoppers become hooked on their mobile devices to fill their needs?
PEREIRA: Guilty as charged!
BERMAN: Their shopping needs, I'm talking about. We'll break it down next.
PEREIRA: (gasps) What is wrong with you?!
BERMAN: I don't know!

#58 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

To add to that, Sara Sidner has been in California (probably on vacation with her family) and filed an exclusive report on the flight 214 accident.

That could be.  I've seen that happen before.  Martin Savidge was visiting his family in Indiana when the scandal involving the ass't football coach at Notre Dame and child molestation.  

And I think Chad Myers was in the heartland when one of those huge tornados tore through thre last year.  

#59 kk_kev

kk_kev

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

I thought Sara Sidner is now back fulltime stateside? (at least no longer in India, AFAIK?)

previosuly kev

#60 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

She hasn't been in India in a while, KKev.  She's been in Jerusalem since at least Nov. 2012.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users