1582 replies to this topic

#1 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:22 PM

Since we always chatter about CNN's this and that in different threads, I thought it would be appropriate to gather all the ideas on one page. here we go, this one from Wikipedia-

Since CNN/US began suffering a decline in viewership due to competition from Fox News Channel, CNN as a whole (including CNN International) has been accused by, among others, its own Christiane Amanpour, of catering to American jingoism at the expense of more balanced international coverage. [4] Former CNN Beijing and Tokyo bureau chief Rebecca MacKinnon described how the news-gathering priorities of CNN International were skewed to "produce stories and reports that would be of interest to CNN USA." [5] Nevertheless, Jane Arraf, a former correspondent who was with the Council on Foreign Relations and is now a correspondent for NBC News based in Baghdad; noted that when she spoke on international affairs, CNN International would usually give her more airtime than CNN/US.[6] For its own part, CNN executive Eason Jordan has defended CNN International's "international" perspective, saying "No matter what CNN International does, as long as CNN's headquarters is in the United States people are going to say, well, it's an American service. But the reality is that it's an international service based in the United States, and we don't make any apologies about that."

#2 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:40 PM

Since we always chatter about CNN's this and that in different threads, I thought it would be appropriate to gather all the ideas on one page.

Good idea! :D (though hopefully I won't have to post too often on this thread :D )

#3 CNN Viewer

CNN Viewer

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:54 AM

Watching CNN/US and CNN/I is like night and day. Sadly, I think CNN/US has been dumbed down quite a bit. Although I realize the flashy graphics and sensationalism are needed to compete in the US market, I wish they also added more professional detail and info, context. It can still be fast paced and not boring, in fact I think more information would be more interesting.
CNN, The World News Leader.

#4 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:38 PM

Well, there have been complaints about CNN dumping Reuters, using I Reports, letting seasoned, talented journalists go etc. But now, I think they have competely lost touch with reality. Maybe if they had kept Reuters they could have just gotten stories from the "embedded" reporter for their new bureau.

"As news organizations slash budgets and scale back bureaus, CNN is expanding -- except not in real life.

In the week of Nov. 5, the news giant is set to open a news-gathering outpost in Second Life. And unlike news service Reuters, which embedded a real reporter in the online virtual world last year, CNN will rely on Second Life "residents" to do all the legwork.

In the space, the network will create a variation of its i-Reports, the real-world vehicle through which average citizens contribute eyewitness reports. CNN will equip Second Life denizens with kits enabling them to transmit copy and photos. Visitors to Second Life will be able to get the latest news via kiosks scattered throughout the virtual community."

http://www.hollywood...638bf18cc87c1c7

Do they really pay someone to come up with this stuff when they can't even staff Hong Kong half the time?
What was the old saying about the inmates running the asylum...

#5 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:46 AM

My criticism towards CNN is that they are too uptight in who gets to view their CNN International Network. It really bothers me that I can only watch an hour or two online with CNN.com Video services. Why is it so difficult to let Canadians view CNN International and CNN United States? CNN International covers more international news and gives insights to what some Canadians have more interest in.

I personally with they would look at their policies and change em' up :(

#6 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:35 AM

I am still shocked everytime I hear there is no CNN in Canada. It's in Mexico. I know I gripe about the lack of CNNI in the US all the time. I've never understood the selectivity.They have it in DC, Atlanta and unbelievably Dallas and a few other places. I still think given the choice Americans would chunk CNNUS and it scares them. Think of the millions in ad revenues they could be making from CNNI. And put up Kristie Lu Stout and Co. against Bill O'Reilly, Keith Olbermann and the disaster Sanchez and see who wins out.
Does any know if Real SuperPass UK carries International any more?

#7 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:53 AM

I am still shocked everytime I hear there is no CNN in Canada.

We do get CNN USA and CNN HN (If you're lucky) Sorry if I had caused any confusion :P

#8 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:20 PM

Houston, I think you still can, though it's $18 a month.

David, I think it's really stupid too. I agree with Houston that it's probably just because they fear what will happen to CNN/US. They do seem to have this thing about Canada in particular. :( Aljazeera and France 24 don't have a problem with their channels being seen in every country of the world, so I think it's really stupid if 'The World's News Leader' actually STOPS people getting news from it. Perhaps they signed some dodgy deals with cable operators 5 years ago or something, and this stopped them showing CNNI in Canada. :?

#9 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:45 PM

Everything on CNNi is easier to look at, I made this for a project and thought i'd upload it. It is so much easier to look at than the orange and black bar on CNN USA :l

Posted Image

#10 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:05 PM

Nice! 8) I much prefer a CNNI 'flipper' to what CNN/US has: it's called a 'ticker' here in Britain, but I think I'm right in saying it's a 'crawl' in the US - am I right?

#11 theBlockerPH

theBlockerPH

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:44 AM

Nice! 8) I much prefer a CNNI 'flipper' to what CNN/US has: it's called a 'ticker' here in Britain, but I think I'm right in saying it's a 'crawl' in the US - am I right?

i think it is also called a "ticker" in the US... (take a look at the FOX News ticker, they have an E-Mail add for it)
we, here in the Philippines, call it crawl... i don't know where else.

Headline News is available in Hong Kong and Philippines...
without commercials, just lame breakfiller that shows the Stock Reports... even at weekends.

#12 Thot

Thot

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:42 PM

Hum!
Even if I appreciate all reporters, anchors that work at CNNI, what I have seen from CNN International makes me conclude that, despite the ďIĒ for international, most of all, CNNI still is an USA channel.
When we see big time live report spending around baseball, I wonder if baseball is that big around the world to have such a relevant time report on CNNI? How many countries in the world have baseball professional teams?

While in another part of the 27 countries were signing an European treaty. But where were the news on CNNI about it? In one hour and half of YWT I havenít seen even a mention to it. Maybe itís not important for the USA, but for many other countries it was.

So Mr.Sarkozy was the first western leader to offer an official visit to Gadhafi, hey? What about the visit Gadhafi did previously to Portugal? Though here, it was the Prime Minister of Portugal who received him, and not the President. But I wonder if CNNI knows who is the President of Portugal.?
When I look at the news at CNNI website and I see this: ďPortuguese President Jose Socrates, whose country currently holds the rotating EU presidency, disputed the treaty's critics." :shock:
http://edition.cnn.c... ... index.html
Socrates is not the President of Portugal but the Prime Minister. The Portuguese President is Cavaco Silva.
I wonder how CNN wants to be a reliable news source when makes mistakes or highlights, for example, baseball as top news, etc.!!

And still fallowing CNNI logic, Socrates would have been ďthe first western leader to offer an official visit since Gadhafi falling out with the west in 1980ís", not Sarkozy. :P

Who ever was the first western leader to offer an official visit to Gadhafi, or the right or wrong around the visit, itís not what troubles me. It bothers me more is, that CNN makes such news mistakes, and points out some news and seems to forget others. I donít see that happening, or to be fair, I see it less, in SkyNews, or BBCNews.
When some report for more then 200 hundred countries and territories around the globe, they should be more careful and have more conscious what are the real world problems, donít you think? :roll:
Posted Image

#13 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:56 AM

During those times, when CNN goes overboard with basketball, wildfires, breaking news from USA and forgets about real issues that are relevant to me, or Europe or whole world except for USA, I tune to other news stations.
Sadly, but it is true - CNN(i) makes stupid mistakes and airs some irrelevant stuff. At least CNNi doesn't show Rick Sanchez. A lot.

#14 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:10 AM

From what I see on YWT, they have way too much coverage of America Votes 2008. There are other countries which have leaders being voted in and out... let's give them dedicated graphics and 15/60 minutes please.

#15 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:04 AM

It's the all important yellow signal for Breaking News!!!
Attached File  Breaking Oscar.JPG   12.52KB   913 downloads

#16 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:10 AM

How is the stars arriving at a carpet breaking news, come on CNN! There's more news out there :P

#17 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:29 AM

CNN Center is hit by a tornado and they are rerunning Anderson Coooper? Geez. My local news is covering it better than they are.

EDIT: Ok, they finally cut to NY, and at the top of the hour went to CNN International. Hope they stay with it.

#18 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:19 AM

So CNNI didn't stop their coverage during the tornado????
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#19 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:18 PM

Of course not. They are a real news channel. Unfortunately, US isn't anymore. What a joke - a huge story - and they play 30 mins of International and go back to reruns of LKL (interviewing the all important Tori Spelling) and the faux journalist Coooper. Six and half hours later US comes on live - with BREAKING NEWS - Downtown Atlanta was hit by a tornado. If it wasn't so utterly pathetic it would be funny. To mangle a Hala quote, they don't get irony. Anyway. Here's some caps.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This was kind of odd - Cal Perry by broadband from across the street.
Posted Image

#20 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for the caps, it looks really interesting, I wish I was watching but it was late night here.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)