1582 replies to this topic

#41 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:40 PM

I thought CNNI would have more than just passing coverage of the European election had it been held during the week. I flicked over to BBC World News about 30 mins ago and they are simulcasting their domestic coverage and providing their own coverage, anchored by David Eades. The program runs for 4 hours.

I can't find anything about special coverage on CNN International? Maybe that's not a surprise considering that weekends on CNNI continue to be no-go zones for news.

#42 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:05 PM

Can't stop 'til you get enough? Yes, I've got enough, now please stop. Please. I wasn't the biggest Jackson fan, and one could argue that the coverage a couple of hours after his death was confirmed was warranted, but it's time to move on please.

I feel rather insulted seeing a promo about CNN staying on the Iran story when they have wall to wall coverage of Jackson's death.

Might be a case of sticking clear of CNNI today.

#43 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:31 PM

There are some stories that just doesn't go away so easily, and this is certainly one of them. I wouldn't mind the coverage one bit. They did cover other stories coming out from Iran and Iraq though.

#44 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:31 PM

I looked to see if BBCWN and AJE were covering it, and sure enough, they were, too. AJE only devoted the first 10 minutes in the hour to him, though.

#45 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:40 AM

BBC is doings the same amount as CNN, in fact I think CNN had more ''other'' news today. He was really big in UK so I'm not surprised.
Sky News got record numbers last night, more than 700 000 viewers at one point, they beat BBC News too. :shock:
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#46 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:04 AM

Judging by the huge outcry so far (not), I suppose I'm the only one who finds murderers and rapists dancing to a Michael Jackson NON NEWS. It was a stupid story 2 years ago and just as stupid now. Infact, GUTTER TRASH ENTERTAINMENT CRAP.

Hey CNN, come to my local jail and we'll see if we can get some of these rapists and murderers to not only dance, but sing a MJ song.

I know CNN wasn't the only news network to run this story, but that doesn't mean CNN should!

Under any other circumstances, would any of you laugh or cheer on someone who has killed or raped someone? Honestly?

#47 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

Look at me, two complaints in a row. I like Back story, but I think this idea of re-running stories from the show during news programs has to stop. Every day now we see a segment that was on Back story repeated during news shows.

I'd be happy to send along a list of news stories worth covering each day if the CNN International editorial team are struggling to come up with things.

#48 suus

suus

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:21 PM

Leeroy, I agree. But... The second I learned of MJ's death, I knew on internet/tv/paper/magazine there would be thriller clips all the time, a baby dangling all the time, etc etc. Not just CNN! I live in Holland, and MJ is there ALL THE TIME

The new news is old news in that respect..

btw, I just happened to watch Larry King, because I was sick in bed. (it airs 11 in the morning here) and I laughed so loud.. He asked MJ's best friend, who saw him the day before: 'Did he look pale?'

Sorry, but that just cured my sickness.

#49 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:44 PM

^^^

We can always count on Larry to ask the most ridiculous questions.

I'm getting very sick of the MJ coverage. I've probably watched more AJE this week than I have CNN.

#50 Nelly

Nelly

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:12 PM

OMG @ LK. I wish I had seen that! :lol:

I agree with this guy

A cable network founded nearly three decades ago on the foundation of news, 24/7. Like "news" as in real, hard-core, "breaking news" be it London, Baghdad, Washington, NY, LA, SF or Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. For awhile, it set the trend for a legitimate world-wide operation that was the centerpiece of electronic journalism at its finest. At least that's the way its founder, Ted Turner, wanted it.These days, CNN is flailing and staggering. During the recent ratings book, it has now fallen behind MSNBC, leaving Fox News at the top. And then along came the death of Michael Jackson. How convenient. Jackson's death and the subsequent max coverage is appropriate, but clearly, CNN has gone overboard. Patheticly overboard. Or is sending Larry King to Neverland for two days of mush simply obscene to you? Ok, NBC sent Matt Lauer for a Today Show segment, but CNN's obsession with Jackson is beyond the point of reason, if reason can be used here.You know any story without Anderson Cooper seems illegitimate, unless it involves 'Jacko and naturally, CNN brass sent Cooper out from NY to its LA bureau, interviewing everybody from the Rev. Al Sharpton, (him again) to amazingly enough, legal expert Jeffrey Toobin, who appeared semi-embarrassed answering questions regarding Jackson's ex-wife's custody claims. Debi Rowe looks positively legit compared to the entire CNN contingent in LA.The next few days will only be more Michael, all the time, leading up to the public memorial scheduled for Tuesday at the Staples Center. Presumably, the only CNN corresspondent NOT there will be Candy Crowley, but who knows.Iran? Forget about it. Iraq. Eh, wait until next week. North Korea? Why bother? Oh, and the President? Health care. Let Blitzer handle that in the Situation room, only Blitzer appears headed to LA himself. How telling. How bizarre. But am I surprised anymore? No. Are you?

"The one function TV news performs very well is that when there is no news we give it to you with the same emphasis as if there were." (David Brinkley)

#51 suus

suus

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:36 PM

This American celeb death stuff is NOT the first. I think Larry King talked 3 weeks about Anna Nicole Smith. And I am not exaggerating

#52 ttanilsoo

ttanilsoo

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:10 AM

Look at me, two complaints in a row. I like Back story, but I think this idea of re-running stories from the show during news programs has to stop. Every day now we see a segment that was on Back story repeated during news shows.

I don't have a problem with this - the original BackStory's airtime is at midnight my local time, so I may not always be awake for the original show.

#53 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:36 AM

Back story airs late at night for me too, and I wouldn't mind a repeat of the show at a more convenient time, but not at the expense of actual news. I'd rather see the news than how it is reported. There's no justification for dropping anything from the news bulletin to make room for a replay of a segment from Back Story. Not when they don't cover a broad range of news in their bulletins to begin with.

#54 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:43 AM

I've only noticed them do that on weekend bulletins...and weekends are a lost cause on CNNI anyways.

#55 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:02 AM

They pulled a double "BREAKING NEWS" header after the simulcast of CNNi this morning regarding Michael Jackson. Absolutely useless and redundant. It's being used to the point of annoyance, especially when it should be reserved for actual news. Both were obviously recorded when they switched from Anderson at night to Anderson in the afternoon within a matter of seconds.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#56 Thot

Thot

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:56 AM

With all the MJ simulcast, I think I won't be watching CNNI today, unless there is a special edition of I-Desk that Hala mentioned in her twitter page. But I don't know if all the appreciation I have for Hala will be enough to support all these MJ coverage. :|
Posted Image

#57 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:43 PM

Those CNNHD graphics look really awkward, dont they?

#58 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:54 PM

GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK

Posted Image

#59 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:06 PM

^^^ I hate it when that thing shows up. :roll: :x
http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#60 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:07 PM

Thing? Ignore the circle in the middle. I'm talking about the wall to wall Michael Jackson coverage.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users