369 replies to this topic

#21 marv

marv

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

This is very promising promo. Not the deep male voice which we are used to. Zucker is quite right about chemistry between the presenters. 

#22 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

CNN Gets Ready For A ‘New Day’

It was a long few months work to get to “New Day,” CNN’s new morning show, which will launch on June 17th.

In the mornings, chemistry between the hosts plays an enormous role in a show’s success. If viewers don’t like the hosts, they won’t turn them on when they roll out of bed.

“You can’t fake chemistry, you can’t impose it,” CNN Worldwide president Jeff Zucker said this morning, speaking over breakfast with a gaggle of reporters in the back room at the Landmarc restaurant at Time Warner Center. “When I put Kate next to Chris, I just knew.”

Kate is Kate Bolduan, the erstwhile CNN Congressional correspondent, and Chris is Chris Cuomo, a high-profile poach from ABC News. Zucker says they did screen tests with Cuomo and five other people (including Erin Burnett) before deciding that Bolduan was the right co-anchor. The pair will be joined by Michaela Pereira, who joins CNN from KTLA’s morning news show.

“The first time I met Michaela, I said ‘holy shit, where have you been,’” Zucker recalled. “It is a unique personality and she is incredibly special. ”

Cuomo says of Bolduan that she is like “an instant sister,” and that they clicked when the tested together.

“Thank you bro,” Bolduan quipped. “When Jeff and I started talking and then Chris and I met, I realized that the only thing that would get me out of Washington would be an opportunity like this.”

As for Pereira:

“CNN and I had been having discussions for a few years, but things changed when Jeff started talking to me about what the plan was,” she said. “It took a lot to convince me that this was the time and the place, but once I met the team, I knew that this is exactly what I wanted to do.”

With the team in place, Zucker sat down with the senior EP of CNN’s morning lineup Jim Murphy and the EP of “New Day” Matt Frucci and tried to settle on a name for the program.

“We had hundreds of hundreds of titles that came from dozens of people,” Murphy recalled. “‘New Day’ was brought up by several people and it went from off the list to on the list to off the list and on again.”

The panel joked that they heard more variations on the word “sunrise” and “rise and shine” than they knew existed. “Wake Up,” the name of the morning show from “Full House,” was also brought up.

“['New Day'] to us did not replicate what everyone else was doing, and it is exactly what it is, and it sets the tone for what we hope CNN is doing,” Murphy says

So what is “New Day” going to look like exactly?

“Lots of news,  lots and lots of news,” Murphy said. “I think you will find that will be a super newsy morning program, we will also be unlike CNN in the past in that we will be looser, a bit more fun and hopefully a bit more interesting.”

There won’t be a kitchen, although no topic–not even food–is off limits. Murphy echoed Zucker’s sentiment in that news is a broad term. “News means a million things,” said Murphy.

“If you think about an all-talk radio station, I think it is the morning drive  show that set the tone and agenda for the day,” Zucker said. “For a cable network like this it is the same idea.

“It is really important that we have a good and strong morning show, because I want the day to start with a strong offering that sets the tone and the agenda for the day for the entire network,” he added.

That said, everyone involved in the show agreed that they do not expect overnight success.

“We don’t expect anything on day one or week one or month one, we expect this show will find its voice over the next year,” Zucker says.

http://www.mediabist...new-day_b178792

We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#23 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

Yep, chemistry is important. Chris is very charismatic and energetic. Kate is more subdued but that can make a great combination because they will really compliment one another. She can reign him in and he can bring her out of her shell. I don't know Michaela well but I hear she is great. I think this has potential.

#24 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:34 AM

Looks like New Day is getting a new set: http://t.co/LYvcHFvd3P
NEW DAY, BLACK FRIDAY 2015

BERMAN: Have shoppers become hooked on their mobile devices to fill their needs?
PEREIRA: Guilty as charged!
BERMAN: Their shopping needs, I'm talking about. We'll break it down next.
PEREIRA: (gasps) What is wrong with you?!
BERMAN: I don't know!

#25 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

I expected a new set but thought they would revamp their current NY set, which has been messy last few years. Didn't know they would built a totally new thing, but then again it's not surprising since the morning slot seems to be Zucker's priority right now.

Looks like it will be a typical, house/apartment set up with window and sofas.

We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#26 international

international

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

Another image, this time a panorama of the set...http://t.co/YdfMN1A2LQ

#27 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:42 AM

Another image, this time a panorama of the set...http://t.co/YdfMN1A2LQ

Oooooooo, I like all the exposed brick.  It is very CBS This Morning.  Its warm and serious - not too flashy.  Earnest.  Very different set that anything seen on CNN right now.  

#28 cnnnz grady

cnnnz grady

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:21 AM

The RPW in studio 7 looks horrible with the Oklahoma tornados graphic backdrop

I'm CNN's Wolf Blitzer Your In The Situation Room Heres Whats Happening Now

#29 international

international

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

A recent article from Variety's Brian Steinberg suggests New Day will be "a sort of Good Morning America without the soft stuff". Whatever that means - GMA's far and away the fluffiest of them all. Taking the soft stuff out of GMA leaves them with hardly anything to capture viewer attention with.

Here's the link to the full article; http://variety.com/2...479226/#respond

There's a lot of brick work going on in that set. Though I generally dislike it, I actually find recent brick-heavy sets, including CBS This Morning and Anderson Live, pretty inoffensive. I'll try to reserve judgement until we see it next month.

#30 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

Interesting article, international. I agree with you, GMA without the fluff is nothing so I am not sure how to interpret that description. My bet is they threw that remark in ther to say they are wanting to reach a big audience and eventually score big ratings by competing with the most successful morning show on tv right now. Personally, I like CBS This Morning so if they follow that mold, I will be happy. I think it is smart that they are tempering expectations and telling everyone they are playing a long game and not looking to buy up the latest trend for a ratings pop because that strategy has failed repeatedly (ahem, I'm lookin' at you Burnett).

I am also interested in what they are planning to do on Early Start. Apparently it will still be on in the preceding hour. Looking forward to the debut!

#31 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:20 AM

I was just watching AC360 and saw a new extended commercial for New Day.  It was like the short promo but then extended to show Chris, Kate, and Michaela getting ready for work.  I really like the theme music - catchy.

#32 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:25 AM

I just love the New Day promos in general. They make that connection that promos for American Morning and Starting Point lacked in their promos (granted, Starting Point only had one promo throughout its run). As for Early Start (sorry if I'm going slightly off-topic) I wonder what set it'll air from as some Early Start decor has been removed from the main NY set.
NEW DAY, BLACK FRIDAY 2015

BERMAN: Have shoppers become hooked on their mobile devices to fill their needs?
PEREIRA: Guilty as charged!
BERMAN: Their shopping needs, I'm talking about. We'll break it down next.
PEREIRA: (gasps) What is wrong with you?!
BERMAN: I don't know!

#33 AExAVF

AExAVF

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

I think this program, or at least an hour thereof, needs to be simulcast on CNNI, dropping the GPS and Piers replays.   Never cared for Fareed Zakaria's show anyway, and I never liked Piers Morgan at all.  But above all else, being a KB fan myself, I think it's fairly obvious.

Edited by AExAVF, 23 May 2013 - 12:55 PM.

"As an anchor Kate Bolduan has no equal; as a correspondent she has no known biases."
- lifted from the words of Victor Caroli as he describes Predaking in the files of Teletraan II.

#34 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

I just love the New Day promos in general. They make that connection that promos for American Morning and Starting Point lacked in their promos

I totally agree!! They really are perfect.

#35 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

I think this program, or at least an hour thereof, needs to be simulcast on CNNI, dropping the GPS and Piers replays.   Never cared for Fareed Zakaria's show anyway, and I never liked Piers Morgan at all.  But above all else, being a KB fan myself, I think it's fairly obvious.

AE Have to disagree with you in part.  Fine to stop the PML replay, but Fareed Zakharia is a very important show.  It's very intelligent and one of the few  (the only?) to have a panel of very smart people discussing things.  i get a lot from the show that I don't get elsewhere.  

#36 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

So far the set is looking pretty cool. Have to say even though I have a ton of respect for Chris Cuomo and watched GMA until both he and Diane Sawyer left, don't have my hopes up too high for this. CNN's newsgathering ability is still less than and they do a whole lot of ambulance chasing with their breaking news stories. In addition to the fact they make a point of trying to tug at your heart-strings when they're covering some kind of tragedy. Just give me the facts then I'll decide how I freaking feel.

#37 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

So far CNN's newsgathering ability is still less than and they do a whole lot of ambulance chasing with their breaking news stories. In addition to the fact they make a point of trying to tug at your heart-strings when they're covering some kind of tragedy. Just give me the facts then I'll decide how I freaking feel.

Very true,  I fear that is the Zucker effect.  

#38 Arsenal215

Arsenal215

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

30 Second Promo. I don't why they changed up the music, Alicia Key's song is all cut up to fit the promo and it just seems to jump around to fit in.http://www.cnn.com/v...cnn-new-day.cnn

Edited by Arsenal215, 28 May 2013 - 10:14 PM.

#39 cnnnz grady

cnnnz grady

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:53 AM

The logo looks a bit Russia Today Ish the way if flips and looks

I'm CNN's Wolf Blitzer Your In The Situation Room Heres Whats Happening Now

#40 international

international

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

http://twitpic.com/cui7ta

Not sure if you guys have seen this video of Chris & Kate exploring the new set, still under construction. I really like the chemistry they share, and the way both mock the staircase.

Interesting snippets; two seating areas, magic walls, green room, control room type area.

New Day continues to show some real promise

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users