37 replies to this topic

#1 Honn

Honn

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:16 PM

One of the most prestigous American news network and a whole bunch of other things!

#2 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:29 AM

I was absolutely stunned this morning when I was watching the ABC morning show to try to catch my local weather. Usually, after their weather guy does the national weather, they say now to your local station and then there is the Houston weather. BUT NOOOO. It was: local weather after these forecasts brought to you by ******. And a 30 sec ad ran while they showed city temps on the side, then went to the local weather.
An ad during the actual broadcast?? That is just wrong on so many levels...

I don't know when all this selling out started, but I think it is as disgusting as Starbucks "sponsoring" Morning Joe at MSNBC.

#3 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:03 PM

It was always confusing to me about those 4 big US channels - national broadcasters. Why are there 4 and not just one like in most of the countries?? Also these 4 channels are so commercial, is there any other kind of stuff on them except for tv series/realities , morning news shows and evening news???

BBC doesn't even have any adds, I wonder is BBC even comparable to these 4 channels, are they public service at all???
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#4 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:39 AM

Well in a sense they are comparable cause the big 4 have nation wide coverage just like the BBC. They are public because of their foot print, so they have to following the rules for national broadcasters like not showing certain programs during the day and cutting out profanity. Unlike PBS and BBC they are fully commercial and for profit even though PBS do show bill boards and corporate sponsorships for like educational purposes. Their ads aren't like that you see on the big 4.

To a certain extend PBS and BBC are related
1. Public Service Broadcasting
2. Public Funding (Taxes/ Mandatory Fee)

That is about it when it comes to comparison with the two PUB. BBC is on another level. PBS has suffered from govt. neglect. And in times like these companies that use to sponsored their shows are leaving. PBS wants long term synergy while these companies want seasonal campaigns so they go to the commercial companies like NBC,ABC,CBS,FOX for spots.

I will compare ITV to the big 4. They are very commercial. But ITV do have some public service programs the big 3 are not require to have any. They look at their schedule and see what works for them commercially. There aren't any docs on these channels but they will show you reruns all the time. The TV season is so long that it will start in Oct. and ends in May. They have mini series and stuff like that but it is scares.
One thing they do very well is affiliate coverage/local news/ local programs then any other country. Something can be happening in Philly while the national news is on they will cut away and show what is happening in their local area. In the UK these things rarely happen unless it is for the countries like Scottish Football in Scotland and England Rugby playing and other national programs like the opening of the Scottish Parliament etc.
I am not show but did local BBC Liverpool breakaway for the champions league trophy parade/reaction during the 6 or 10 o'clock news in England when Liverpool won back in 2005?

In the UK for certain hours of the night ITV and other commercial companies do not show ads but in America throughout the night there are ads and infomercials (long piece advertorials).

One thing these companies only care about is their bottom line. MONEY MONEY MO.........NEY, MOOOOOOOOONEY

#5 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:01 AM

I think Zach covered pretty well. I would add that ABC and the others are "free" TV. We don't have to pay to have or watch those national channels on TV like I understand other countries do. Or even pay to have a TV.

The bottom line is profit but I have never seen an ad during a broadcast. I think that is just going too far. Maybe I'll tape it Monday as an example.

#6 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:42 AM

Ok. Here is the first of my gripes tonight about selling out the news. (The other is in MSNBC thread).
The weather is considered part of the "news" broadcast. I just think this new "updates sponsored by..." is BS.
I will be going to weather channel from now on.
http://i131.photobuc.../AMCSellOut.flv

#7 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:45 AM

Thanks for that video Houston. To be honest I don't like GMA or the other morning shows. The first 30 minutes are news and that's about it.

Nightline, however, is a good show:

It's not nearly as good as it was under Ted Koppel, but it's still good nonetheless. It's the only late-night national newscast, and some of the stories they do are pretty interesting. Plus, the graphics are nice and the backdrop (Times Square) is great.

#8 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:57 AM

I used to watch Nightline every night when they revamped. I stopped watching early last year, but the show continues to rate well, silencing nearly all critics who said that they wouldn't last a year.
http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#9 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:39 AM

If you haven't heard already:

http://www.latimes.c... ... 3931.story

I'm surprised to hear that Gibson is leaving. I never was really keen on him, anyway, and I have Diane in my mind as a bit of a softie, but she and Gibson were anchoring GMA together just a few years ago, so maybe she can pull it off. I bet the show will still be ahead of CBS, but I wouldn't be surprised if their edge on NBC will remain.

#10 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:47 AM

I think that's a great move for World News. She's got quite an impressive resume and isn't a lightweight like Couric.
As for GMA, I like Roberts, but since they sold out the weather, I quit watching. I hope they go to last place just 'cause they ruined the weather.

#11 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:01 PM

Yes, I heard that Charles Gibson is retiring, and I like him. I watch World News on most nights.

As for Diane, when I do get to see GMA (I'm no regular viewer), I like seeing her and Robin Roberts. This move would be great. I know Diane would do much better than Katie Couric at CBS.
http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#12 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:15 PM

Couldn't let this go
Posted Image

#13 nodefault

nodefault

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:55 AM

...and here's a video of Diane's first appearance as World News anchor.

** Click for HD version **

#14 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:02 AM

Thanks for that and all of the other gorgeous HD videos you've posted, nodefault!

I missed it, but it looks like she did a nice job. I think I like her better than Charlie Gibson or the others.

I also like the new graphics. The previous ones were a bit loud in my opinion.

#15 nodefault

nodefault

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:13 AM

Thanks for that and all of the other gorgeous HD videos you've posted, nodefault!

I missed it, but it looks like she did a nice job. I think I like her better than Charlie Gibson or the others.

I also like the new graphics. The previous ones were a bit loud in my opinion.

Always glad to post videos for y'all! :D I think she's great, too.

Here are a couple of new ones:

ABC News Brief

HD Version

ABC News Special Report (with a small 5 second affiliate countdown at the top of the video)

HD Version

#16 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

We've heard so much recently about the ABC down under, but not so much about the other ABC.

ABC News is getting a new set on 66th Street, where World News, Nightline, 20/20 (and World News Now and America This Morning?) come from. It's designed to be more intimate and feature more of the newsroom while also having a bigger video wall. Built in less than a week, it debuts tonight.

Posted Image

http://www.mediabist...71487.asp?c=rss

Edited by Charles, 23 August 2010 - 09:53 PM.

#17 Thok

Thok

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:38 PM

On air now. Anyone has high quality screencaps?

#18 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:41 PM

I will post some when it comes on.

#19 Thok

Thok

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:52 PM

In your area, ok. thanks

#20 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:05 AM

Something came up, and I couldn't watch, but here are some caps from Weeters over here.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

And check out their use of watermarked stock photography:

Posted Image

Posted Image

It all looks nice, but it's very similar to what NBC Nightly News has.

Edited by Charles, 24 August 2010 - 02:48 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users