37 replies to this topic

#21 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:09 PM

I must admit to being a little indifferent to sets that use big projection screens as the background. When they use close ups you can achieve the same thing with a blue screen set. So why bother building a real set if you are going to use an almost plain background projection. At least when you have a newsroom or something other than a projection screen as a background, it makes it more interesting.

#22 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:36 PM

After being dragged kicking and screaming to the movie "The Switch" I have a hard time watching Diane Sawyer without seeing the scene they "used" her in. ;)

#23 CNN_Maryland

CNN_Maryland

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:24 PM

Following losing Sam Champion to The Weather Channel and Josh Elliott to NBC Sports (both owned by NBC/Comcast), Good Morning America has added Michael Strahan as a contributor a few days a week and ESPN's Tony Reali as a social contributor from Social Square.

The next change announced today, a third co-anchor. Lara Spencer, Good Morning America's lifestyle/entertainment anchor will scoot over and sit alongside Robin Roberts and George Stephanapolous as one of GMA's co-anchors. The last time three people headed up GMA was the trio of Robin, Diane Sawyer and Charlie Gibson.

I find this as an interesting choice. Other than discussing the motive (which possibly could be grooming George to replace Diane on ABC World News) I think it's important to discuss the three co-anchor team. Three completely equal co-anchors.

CBS This Morning has a three anchor set up, although they aren't doing what NBC or ABC are doing. FOX News has three anchors. CNN used to on American Morning. I wouldn't say New Day has three main anchors since Michaela is unfairly shoved off to the side o the desk, left out of camera shots, not given the same job. News Anchor isn't fair. I like how FOX does it (never thought I'd say that!) Steve, Elisabeth and Brian are the main co-anchors on the couch. Then off to the side are two huge monitors. One is used for weather, the other is where the news anchor presents headlines.

This brings me to my CNN tie-in. Michaela needs to be promoted. Chris never has been my favorite. I use to not be a big fan of Kate. I've always loved Michaela (and John for that matter). So what this network needs to do is slide Michaela over behind the main part of the desk and have the three of them centered. Let her be a main anchor like Chris and Kate. She would help tie together the tension between Chris and Kate. In fact, the more people on this cast the better. George on GMA didn't do well with the fluff. They throw a couple of people he likes at the desk, and they're having a good time.

John Berman, Christine Romans and even Victor Blackwell and Christi Paul could rotate in the news anchor role if Mick was promoted until the final decision is made

#24 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

Last year or so I started following and reading up on the history of US morning shows so I can also comment. I'm not really sure this is a good decision by ABC. Robin and George are a strong duo with George bringing in the serious politics and Robin a more human side to it. I don't see what Lara brings in to this partnership? Don't get me wrong, I think she's quite good, for the role she had, as a side host who focuses on showbiz and other more fun stuff which takes a HUGE part of GMA anyway. GMA really had a great team with Robin, George, Lara, Josh and Sam and I'm not sure the new set up will manage to continue the dynamic they had.

Also, how will they sit them now? Will they change the desk so that she can have a proper place with her co-anchors, instead of sitting on the side?

We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#25 CNN_Maryland

CNN_Maryland

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

Back with the Charlie, Diane and Robin set up in 2005, they all sat together in the center of the desk. I honestly think they're prepping for George's move to ABC World News. Diane is going to retire sometime. George has cut back his role on "This Week", they've brought in a third co-anchor on GMA, and George always anchors the important ABC News Special Reports like the Boston Bombing Anniversary.

Diane doesn't want George to replace her. She isn't a fan of him. She has been mentoring World News Weekend anchor David Muir for years. She's grooming him for her job. The network just doesn't think he's ready. Despite World news ratings dropping when George is on or raising/staying consistent when David is on, the network still wants George

#26 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

Why would Diane retire any time soon? She's not that old plus the show has good ratings with her, if I'm not wrong.

We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#27 CNN_Maryland

CNN_Maryland

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:09 PM

Diane is 68. Plus, she's been with ABC for 30+ years. She's expressed interest in caring for her aging mother so I assume her retirement is going to happen within the next few years. Maybe she'll hold out until after the 2016 elections. She almost beat NBC Nightly News this summer when Brian Williams was on medical leave so ratings aren't an issue. If she leaves I'm sure they'll wanna make the switch while their doing good ratings wise

#28 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

Ok, didn't know that.

I know that out of all evening newscasts ABC News is the worst, focusing on '' human interest stories" so its a shame that this direction actually brought them good ratings. From what I've seen, CBS Evening News looks like the most serious, no nonsense newscast with the most credible presenter.

#29 CNN_Maryland

CNN_Maryland

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

And due to the little interest in serious newscasts, NBC Nightly News actually does best. I'd say NBC does a good show. ABC World News has an "Instant Index" which is essentially a condensed version of Lara Spencer's "Pop News". We also can't forget that despite the name, we're lucky in ABC WN covers even one international story. CBS Evening News has always been my go to evening broadcast on the networks up until I started watching almost only CNN.

ABC World News has problems if they are going to continue to brand as a serious network evening broadcast. George would help considering they could never get him to do Pop News stories. They almost always have the other GMA anchors handle them rather than him. But if David Muir joins as lead anchor, they'll have something that George isn't. A Correspondent.

George went from White House Press Secretary to Political Analysis to Fill-in Moderator on "This Week" to full time presenter on "This Week" to GMA anchor.

David came from ABC's Boston affiliate where he reported and anchored and he spent the past ten years with ABC as World News Weekend anchor as well as Correspondent. Out of all national news correspondents (cable and broadcast) David logged the most on-air hours reporting

#30 NZCNNFan

NZCNNFan

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

And due to the little interest in serious newscasts, NBC Nightly News actually does best. I'd say NBC does a good show. ABC World News has an "Instant Index" which is essentially a condensed version of Lara Spencer's "Pop News". We also can't forget that despite the name, we're lucky in ABC WN covers even one international story. CBS Evening News has always been my go to evening broadcast on the networks up until I started watching almost only CNN.
ABC World News has problems if they are going to continue to brand as a serious network evening broadcast. George would help considering they could never get him to do Pop News stories. They almost always have the other GMA anchors handle them rather than him. But if David Muir joins as lead anchor, they'll have something that George isn't. A Correspondent.
George went from White House Press Secretary to Political Analysis to Fill-in Moderator on "This Week" to full time presenter on "This Week" to GMA anchor.
David came from ABC's Boston affiliate where he reported and anchored and he spent the past ten years with ABC as World News Weekend anchor as well as Correspondent. Out of all national news correspondents (cable and broadcast) David logged the most on-air hours reporting

I still remember when it was almost ALL world news stories back when Jennings was at the helm.

"The people who watch Fox are not going to watch CNN. You know, let's be honest" Fareed Zakaria

#31 CNN_Maryland

CNN_Maryland

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:02 PM

ABC announced today that Diane Sawyer is essentially becoming Barbara Walters. she'll 'focus on primetime specials' and 'spend time with family.'

Replacing her is World News weekend anchor David Muir. He'll be the weeknight anchor. George Stephanapoulos is going to be 'ABC News Chief Anchor' which means he'll do Special Reports, State of the Union coverage, election coverage, etc.

What many people didn't know is George was admintly negotiating a move to World News. Turns out, ratings drop when George fills in and Diane isn't too fond of him.

Diane 'raised' David. She groomed him into that World News weekend chair and has always been a supporter of his. Behind the scenes, Diane has said that she wants David to replace her.

So to shut George up, they've given him this meaningless 'ABC News Chief Anchor' role which he'll quickly fizzle out of I suspect. I believe that 5 years from now, David will have the same role Diane did. Covering all special coverage and special reports.

I'm so happy for David, he's such a good anchor and is veeeeery easy on the eyes!

I also suspect Dan Harris will shift to weekend World News anchor. So in the grand scheme of things, America yet again has three white men anchoring the evening news. Brooke Baldwin said 'Is it the 1970's?'

I understand the obvious want to promote David, especially to make Diane happy, but why not have Byron Pitts or Paula Faris anchor on weekends? They're both more than capable

#32 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:59 PM

Grumble, grumble, grumble.  3 SWM (straight white men) as anchors.  grumble, grumble, grumble.  

#33 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

I don't think George's role is "meaningless". So for all major breaking news and events George will be the host. Along with GMA and This Week he seems to be the face of ABC News now.

Here's a good article on it

Why the Evening-News Anchor Is No Longer the Most Important Person on TV

http://variety.com/2...-tv-1201246639/

#34 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:55 PM

I believe that 5 years from now, David will have the same role Diane did. Covering all special coverage and special reports.

I'm not saying David won't take over stuff George is supposed to do now, but I don't think Diane is the best example here. She rarely anchored any special coverage/special reports over the last few years and even when she did, she rarely managed it on her own.

#35 CNN_Maryland

CNN_Maryland

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:46 PM

Grumble, grumble, grumble.  3 SWM (straight white men) as anchors.  grumble, grumble, grumble.

if you mean straight in the sense of the sexual orientation, David Muir is gay and is rumored to be dating fellow ABC Newser Gio Benitez

#36 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:08 AM

Thanks for the info.  It's just a phrase that means boring folks who act like SWM -- you can be a woman and still be a SWMan.  

#37 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:58 AM

Has that ever b

if you mean straight in the sense of the sexual orientation, David Muir is gay and is rumored to be dating fellow ABC Newser Gio Benitez

Have either of those statements ever been confirmed? As far as I know, that's just speculation. (Though probably not too far-fetched).

#38 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:15 PM

I really don't care if he's gay or straight or dating a colleague.  Actually I haven't seen him & don't recall who the others are, so shouldn't pigeonhole them as SWM.  Sorry.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users