201 replies to this topic

#21 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:25 PM

stream is not anymore available on Vingo...
subscription only.

I'm so ticked off, so I e-mailed them :]

Dear David,
Thanks for being one of the first Vingo users. Sorry to hear you are not having a good experience on VingoTV currently.

We have recently upgraded the website and as part of that we have improved the Geo-blocking software we use to the best available. The agreements we have with CNN only allow us to offer this channel to users in Europe at this point in time. If you are viewing this from outside Europe and were getting this channel previously we apologise but we do not have these rights for the time being. We are looking to increase the geographical area we can offer CNN currently.

If you are inside Europe, then it is possible we think you IP address is one that is in the US or other country, not Europe. This is a common problem users of AOL have for instance. If this is the case please let us know and we will attempt to recitify it.

We also have a number of other News channels, such as Al Jazeera and France 24 that we offer free in low quality on a global basis if you are residing outside of Europe.

Kind Regards,

Steve
VingoTV

#22 cldsleyon

cldsleyon

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:00 PM

stream is not anymore available on Vingo...
subscription only.

I'm so ticked off, so I e-mailed them :]

Dear David,
Thanks for being one of the first Vingo users. Sorry to hear you are not having a good experience on VingoTV currently.

We have recently upgraded the website and as part of that we have improved the Geo-blocking software we use to the best available. The agreements we have with CNN only allow us to offer this channel to users in Europe at this point in time. If you are viewing this from outside Europe and were getting this channel previously we apologise but we do not have these rights for the time being. We are looking to increase the geographical area we can offer CNN currently.

If you are inside Europe, then it is possible we think you IP address is one that is in the US or other country, not Europe. This is a common problem users of AOL have for instance. If this is the case please let us know and we will attempt to recitify it.

We also have a number of other News channels, such as Al Jazeera and France 24 that we offer free in low quality on a global basis if you are residing outside of Europe.

Kind Regards,

Steve
VingoTV

I depended on Vingo now I am frozen. Is there another site, I have tried looking but I found nothing. I use to change my IP and get on the European feed.

#23 Guest_saarlaender22_*

Guest_saarlaender22_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:47 PM

I watch CNNI via zattoo

#24 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:37 PM

I watch CNNI via zattoo

What a great collection of channels, sure brings Vingo to shame :P Too bad they have no services to Canada either :(

#25 cldsleyon

cldsleyon

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:00 PM

I watch CNNI via zattoo

What a great collection of channels, sure brings Vingo to shame :P Too bad they have no services to Canada either :(

I know, when will they bring it to North America?

#26 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:03 PM

Probably not for a long time. I would assume because they have specific contracts between the European networks to show them in Europe only :(

#27 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:30 PM

Saarlaender22, thanks for that, though unfortuately my Internet Provider says that anyone who uses P2P software will be cut off the internet from 6-11PM every weekday. So I'm afraid I don't want to risk that one.

Now, before you get excited, don't get your hopes up when you read this: I've been doing some hunting around the internet, and I found that there is one other site which shows CNNI - Jalipo - but you can only watch a few hours for free, then you have to start paying. Though I suppose you could just keep setting up new email addresses for ever more... And of course David and Houston, you can't get it outside Europe, the Middle East and Africa. :x

Another site - VDC - is trying to get CNN, and it looks like it's trying to get a court ruling or something about it. You can always hope...

Please, if anyone else knows any LEGAL ways of getting it, post them here. 8)

EDIT: Looks like CNNI isn't completely off Vingo yet - go to the 'New Channels' section at the bottom of the homepage and you can still get it.

#28 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:32 PM

At last, I've found a way to record Vingo!

1. Download the beta (pre-final release) verison of Realplayer from this URL:
http://uk.real.com/player/more
and install it.

Then, go to the CNN stream on Vingo, and hold the mouse over the video window. You should get a little box popping up like this:
[attachment=0]VINGO.JPG[/attachment]

Click 'download this video', and it's as simple as that. There are a few options you can change if you go to the options page in RealPlayer. The only problem is that it saves it as a non'standard file format, and so far I haven't been able to find a way to change them into a format that could be uploaded onto YouTube. Oh well, it's great being able to record it at all! :D

It's completely legal - obviously RealPlayer is one of the most popular media players out there (though Windows Media Player is much better otherwise, IMO). You can also save YouTube videos and other content like CNN.com Live and CNN.com video on demand with this.

I hope this is useful. :D

That is very useful Richard! Can you record files from Windows Media Player with Real Player?

#29 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:10 PM

Yes - if it can be played in Windows Media Player, it can be recorded by RealPlayer 8) . If it's on a web page, the 'Download this Video' button should come up. If it's a file or URL, just go to RealPlayer, then go on File > Open and enter the URL or file name there. Then press the record button. It records for an hour by default (I think), but you can change that in the options.

#30 theBlockerPH

theBlockerPH

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:49 AM

i did not know that CNN has a YouTube Site...?!
http://uk.youtube.com/CNN

too bad this is a mix of US & International..

#31 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 05:09 PM

At last! A reply from Vingo about why the CNNI stream has been so bad lately. To save you reading the whole reply (below), they basically said sorry, and that it would be back up to speed within the next few weeks. The problems were because they massively underestimated the popularity of CNNI.

They seem to think I'm a subscriber, which I'm not - they say they won't charge me next month. Saying that, I am thinking about subscribing though, for the high quality stream. 8)

Hello Richard,

Thanks for your email.

Since the launch of the new site, we have had a huge increase in traffic at VingoTV. For some reason CNNi was incredibly popular also. We planned for a significant increase but it has gone way above our expectations. We are working through the Christmas/New Year break to add more capacity and servers, to return the service to an acceptable level of quality.

Obviously as a subscription customer this is not a huge comfort, so we will happily waive your next month's subscription charge to compenstate for the recent poor quality in service.

We expect the service to be much better over the next few weeks. As for our move out of "Alpha" we expect this to be early in the new year also.

Again, thanks for your interest in us and we look forward to giving you a much improved service very soon.

Regards,
Steve
VingoTV

Happy Christmas everyone!

#32 cldsleyon

cldsleyon

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 07:03 PM

At last! A reply from Vingo about why the CNNI stream has been so bad lately. To save you reading the whole reply (below), they basically said sorry, and that it would be back up to speed within the next few weeks. The problems were because they massively underestimated the popularity of CNNI.

They seem to think I'm a subscriber, which I'm not - they say they won't charge me next month. Saying that, I am thinking about subscribing though, for the high quality stream. 8)

Hello Richard,

Thanks for your email.

Since the launch of the new site, we have had a huge increase in traffic at VingoTV. For some reason CNNi was incredibly popular also. We planned for a significant increase but it has gone way above our expectations. We are working through the Christmas/New Year break to add more capacity and servers, to return the service to an acceptable level of quality.

Obviously as a subscription customer this is not a huge comfort, so we will happily waive your next month's subscription charge to compenstate for the recent poor quality in service.

We expect the service to be much better over the next few weeks. As for our move out of "Alpha" we expect this to be early in the new year also.

Again, thanks for your interest in us and we look forward to giving you a much improved service very soon.

Regards,
Steve
VingoTV

Happy Christmas everyone!

I see why when I try watch I cannot go through. Hopefully they will restore the service quickly.

#33 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:04 PM

Since Vingo's not been working for a week now, I thought I'd email them. here's the response:

Dear Richard,

Thanks for your email.
We are currently experiencing a technical problem that our technical aim to correct in the coming hours.
I will inform you when the website is running normally.

Regards,

Seb

Still not working yet, though hopefully it should be back soon. I hate not being able to cap and get videos to post on this site... please come back Vingo! 8)

#34 Ozzie Rosie

Ozzie Rosie

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:38 PM

I can't believe I'm missing out on Super Tuesday coverage. PLEASE, VINGO! I NEED CNN!!!
I'm Rosemary Church, thanks for your company. *SMILES*

#35 saarlaender22

saarlaender22

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:48 PM

When i am not at home i watch CNNI via Zattoo without problems and without costs

#36 Ozzie Rosie

Ozzie Rosie

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:45 PM

I checked the Zattoo website but there doesn't seem to be CNNI?
I'm Rosemary Church, thanks for your company. *SMILES*

#37 saarlaender22

saarlaender22

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:16 PM

I downloaded the Zattoo software and i always watch there CNNI just this morning

#38 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:25 PM

Ozzie Rosie, CNN isn't available in the UK on Zattoo - see the list of channels on Wikipedia here.

ABC News Now
Al Jazeera Arabic
BBC Three
BBC Four
BBC News 24
BBC Parliament
Bloomberg UK
Canal 24 Horas
CBBC Channel
CBeebies
Channel 4
Deutsche Welle*
EuroNews
France 24*
SF info
sumo.tv
TVE Internacional
TVP Polonia

And before Houston or David get their hopes up, you can't seem to get Zattoo at atll in the US or Canada. :cry:

#39 djthproductions

djthproductions

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:17 PM

Why isn't CNNUS/CNNi broadcasting permenantly live on the internet? Like in these days with the Middle East Crisis CNNi does.
Soulfull greetz,

Tahar

#40 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:19 AM

I think it would really boost viewership if CNN.com Live was live 24/7 (or even just 24/5) and if they had regular simulcasts of Domestic, CNNI, or HLN. They could start advertising, too, whether it be airing the commercials during breaks or placing web ads on the side of the player. Even if CNN can't or doesn't want to simulcast those all the time, the least they could do is have regular programming on at least one channel and improve the production quality. Such a convenient form factor for a product allows increased brand loyalty if regular and consistent programming is offered to the viewer on one stream. The raw video streams right now are valuable resources to the viewer already, but the C-list anchor presenting mundane stories in front of a fake set is not worthwhile at any time.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users