163 replies to this topic

#41 jjerome95

jjerome95

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:38 PM

I can't believe that someone had to say something about Al Jazeera and 9/11. 

Nor that someone haad that view. But I have to say, Charles, your explanation was excellent. I love reading opinions like that. You did I fantastic job with that and I am so honored to be able to read your posts. 

CNN International Current Anchors and Schedule <--Please update as you see fit

#42 CNN_Maryland

CNN_Maryland

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:45 PM

Nor that someone haad that view. But I have to say, Charles, your explanation was excellent. I love reading opinions like that. You did I fantastic job with that and I am so honored to be able to read your posts.

One last time. I said I feel uncomfortable knowing Al Jazeera is funded in part by the Muslim brotherhood

#43 Boaserpent

Boaserpent

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:06 AM

One last time. I said I feel uncomfortable knowing Al Jazeera is funded in part by the Muslim brotherhood

well that's a new one. aj is funded by qatar.

again:

did you know the largest military base in the middle east is located in the tiny peninsula of qatar? do you know how many millions qatar donated for the victims of katrina?

Edited by Boaserpent, 07 August 2013 - 12:08 AM.

#44 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I appreciate it. I haven't written a column in a while, so it was nice to write something  long for fun again.

@Charles: I tend to agree 100% with you pretty much all the time and you were perfect on your post.

Thanks for the nice words, Charles and CA. Going off topic, I've found myself watching less CNNI over the last couple of months for a number of reasons - including lack of time. Same goes for my time spent here. And, yes, CA, I've found that the forum has gone on a way that doesn't appeal to me as much as content. Also, people that used to add a lot to the discussions have been away as well (Charles included ;)). But I'll continue to pop up on a regular basis! It's been fun, but life goes on! :)

Aw, thanks HaBa. I've always enjoyed your insight just as much. I guess the same thing happens to everyone — we all end up getting busy with other things, and it's difficult watching CNN when our home team isn't as good as it's been in the past. I've naturally had a little more time to myself this summer, and I'll be hightailing it out of the U.S. for a few months, so you'll probably see me pop in from time to time to gripe about the deficiencies of CNNI. ;)

That doesn't challenge anything in my previous statement. Once again, the Muslim Brotherhood does not fund Al Jazeera. The Qatari government does. The Qatari government has also been donating large amounts of aid to Egypt, which (until recently) was controlled by the Muslim Brotherhood. So Qatar funds Al Jazeera and gives aid to Egypt. It is false to claim that the Muslim Brotherhood funds Al Jazeera. It's also even stranger to object to the Muslim Brotherhood with such conviction and bold statements that they're terrorists, as even the U.S. government doesn't go so far to say that they're a terror group. It's fine to criticize Al Jazeera for slanting their coverage in favor of the Muslim Brotherhood (because they have), but it's not true to say that they themselves are operated or funded by the Muslim Brotherhood (which they are not).

#45 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

Brilliant post Charles! :Yes:

Maybe I'm a skeptic by nature but I take news from every source and news channel with a grain of salt. Everyone has an agenda and a certain point of view, weather it is a western one presented by CNN,BBC,Sky etc, Russian/eastern on RT or AJ which is somewhere in between and with that, probably the closest to the most balance reporting. The truth is somewhere in the middle, that's how I look at things.

AJE launched in 2006 and has since grown to be an equal to much older CNN,BBC and Sky. They are the only one who kept the no nonsense approach to news and they often make their competitors look silly (royal baby madness for example).

I'm very interested to see how AJA will look. I guess the best that we can hope is something between a typical US news channel and AJE. That set drawing looks amazing, can't wait to see the real thing.

We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#46 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

Maybe I'm a skeptic by nature but I take news from every source and news channel with a grain of salt. Everyone has an agenda and a certain point of view, weather it is a western one presented by CNN,BBC,Sky etc, Russian/eastern on RT or AJ which is somewhere in between and with that, probably the closest to the most balance reporting. The truth is somewhere in the middle, that's how I look at things.

Well said, I totally agree. News consumers need to be a skeptical bunch - especially watching American cable news!

#47 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

I'm excited for the new network and I hope that there is going to be a livestream somewhere after the launch. David Marash - former AJE Washington anchor - talked about AJA on CNN's Reliable Sources two weeks ago and it was actually very insightful. He once left the network because of editorial differences but feels like AJE has changed a lot since then - for the better. He also mentioned that AJA is probably going to be much more of a traditional newschannel with packaged reports and the news at the center and with less focus on the reporters and personalities. We know that at the beginning AJA is only going to be in a relatively small number of households. If that number grows and they actually gain a good reputation for their work they might grow into a strong competition for CNNUS.

#48 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:32 AM

The channel Free Speech TV runs an hour of AJE a few times a day which is where I watch it. Tonight after the hour they had an announcement that they would no longer be carrying any AJE news after August 20 because AJA would be available on the now Current TV channel. So I guess it's really on target. Great!

#49 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:50 AM

^^^

That's one thing I'm not excited about. Now that AJE and AJAM are going to be completely separate networks, taking great lengths to keep AJE away from American viewers makes about as much sense as what what CNN has done with Domestic and CNN Int'l. I'll reserve final judgment for when the channel launches, but what's the point in bringing Al Jazeera to the mass market US if it isn't going to have any international content or perspective?

I finally bought into Livestation to get AJE Premium, Sky News Int'l, and Euronews, though part of me wouldn't be surprised if AJE disappeared there too.

Edited by Charles, 09 August 2013 - 07:19 AM.

#50 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

FSTV is going to start running France 24 in place of AJE, not sure if that is a good trade, but at least it's something.

#51 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

I get it and rather like it.  It's a good alternative to the endless reruns on CNNi.  The world according to the French.  If news is related to France or the French it will be highlighted.For example, it had the best coverage on Mali since Mali was a French Colony and Hollande sent the French soldiers there.  Its coverage of the Bastille Day Parade was the most inclusive and the best -- if you like military parades.    

Plus it has short book review and fashion review (haute couturier, since this is, after all, France) segments. Nice change from all the war at home and on CNNi.  

Edited by Carolina Argentina, 09 August 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#52 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

Does anyone have a HQ stream for AJE (not the one on youtube or win8 market)? PM plz.

#53 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

PM feature doesn't wotk. Oh well. Maybe send it to my email?

Edited by xgrinch, 12 August 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#54 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:37 AM

They've launched a beta version of their separate website for AJAM:

http://america.aljazeera.com/

I don't think it's Wordpress, but it still looks very Wordpress-y. I do like the subdued gold and navy theme though.

#55 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:49 AM

They published their prime time schedule. Actual news bulletins in prime time on a news channel in the States? Kinda revolutionary!

http://america.aljaz...rogramming.html

5pm Inside Story

6pm Early Evening News

7pm Real Money with Ali Velshi

7.30pm The Stream

8pm Nightly News

9pm America Tonight

10pm Consider This

11pm Late Night News

We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#56 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

They published their prime time schedule. Actual news bulletins in prime time on a news channel in the States? Kinda revolutionary!

11pm Late Night News

Especially Late Night News at 11pm. If this is actually going to be live, which I assume, then AJA will be the only cable news network in America with a live show at that hour. Okay there's also local news on all the big networks at 11 (so a lot of competetion) but still: promising decision!

#57 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

Plus the description says this

A second hour of news airs from 11:00 pm to midnight on the East Coast and 8:00 to 9:00 pm on the West Coast. It closes Al Jazeera America’s prime time schedule in the eastern part of the United States and opens it in the west.

So maybe there will be some overnight bulletins that would be prime time for west coast.

#58 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

What a concept!  Live news in prime time for those in the west coast.  I'm sure those of you in Asia & Pacifica will be jealous.  

#59 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Video of the NY set

http://instagram.com/p/dE-MQhsdxN/#

#60 LeeWN

LeeWN

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Just found this on Twitter: Al Jazeera America NY HQ flooded shortly after studio tour. More details in this article:

http://www.mediabist...io-tour_b192155

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users