450 replies to this topic

#21 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 11:01 AM

This is a link from the CNN.com homepage on Thursday... It's the video from last year that points to everything that is wrong with CNN (and the other cable news networks), yet they still don't get it...

BTW, Hereís the video for those who havenít seen it yet

Attached Files

#22 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:11 AM

CNN International is staying on Pipeline when it is made free! :D

This is official, from the CNN Beta blog at http://behindthescen...ne-subscribers/ But, it still looks like we'll only get it at evenings and weekends :( Oh well - better than nothing!

You'll still get all the great content from around the world including CNNI; you just won't have to pay.

Also, I don't know if anyone caught a glimpse of Pipeline yesterday after 1200 GMT (although the only way to get it was by going on the 3 minute preview on CNN.com International Edition). Very strange things happening - the first thing we saw after WNA finished at 1200 GMT was some Pipeline anchor practising her Now in the News script and talking to herself - she obviously didn't know she was on air! Then it went to blank screen for hours, then some strange things happening to the studio. There's more about this at http://cnnobservations.blogspot.com/.

#23 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 03:21 PM

Also, I don't know if anyone caught a glimpse of Pipeline yesterday after 1200 GMT (although the only way to get it was by going on the 3 minute preview on CNN.com International Edition). Very strange things happening - the first thing we saw after WNA finished at 1200 GMT was some Pipeline anchor practising her Now in the News script and talking to herself - she obviously didn't know she was on air! Then it went to blank screen for hours, then some strange things happening to the studio.

I have seen some strange things happening as well. Over the last hour or so, I've seen a couple of different transitions played and the graphic on the virtual set has changed a couple of times as well.

Attached Files

#24 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:16 AM

FLASH! (Via TV Newser) The new, beta version of CNN's website is online. Click here to check it out

My first thought - Pretty simple, clutter free, looks much neater without the advertisements everywhere.

Eww, I hate it. I just love the present one.

That was my initial reaction, now i like it. :lol: looks good to me!!

#25 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:46 AM

CNN International is staying on Pipeline when it is made free! :D
This is official, from the CNN Beta blog at http://behindthescen...ne-subscribers/ But, it still looks like we'll only get it at evenings and weekends :( Oh well - better than nothing!

You'll still get all the great content from around the world including CNNI; you just won't have to pay.

Posted Image
Well, they lied. I went to watch CNN Today London on the new video feeds, and the screen says live video will resume at 6 AM Eastern. WHAT? So, they didn't improve anything about Pipeline - they only screwed up what was working just fine. Typical of the idiots running CNN. Maybe they should loosen their ties.

#26 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:33 PM

When they say its free, do they mean it is free to the selected 30-40 countries or all over the world? Because Pipeline is not available in my country.

Pipeline was available here in Australia, but now when I go to watch the live streaming this message comes up:

"STREAM BLOCKED - CNN LIVE Video is not available in your geographic location.
For more, go to on-demand video."

I think it is extremely disappointing - especially when Pipeline was freely available before. Posted Image

#27 Nexties

Nexties

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:54 PM

Well The United States, for the most part, does not employ its own computer programmers anymore. This is a perfect example, of the disadvantages which result... Going from production back to beta is an indication of poor decision making at CNN. Beta is not meant to replace an existing product release. CNN needs to fire, and withhold payment, on whoever gave that advice, because it has brought about a denial of services worldwide.

Look what happened on the International Space Station. The USA low cost developers threatened a shutdown of life support with their outsourced engineering of solar panels which crashed the mainframe computer. The Americans had to be bailed out by the Russians.

Any American engineer knows it is a published fact that only ultra advanced computer programming is used in space craft design. Outsourcing is limited to business computing like Java. So it can't even begin to handle ultra advanced computer programming, because it is machine code based... Not virtual machine based.

#28 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:13 AM

When they say its free, do they mean it is free to the selected 30-40 countries or all over the world? Because Pipeline is not available in my country.

Pipeline was available here in Australia, but now when I go to watch the live streaming this message comes up:

"STREAM BLOCKED - CNN LIVE Video is not available in your geographic location.
For more, go to on-demand video."

I think it is extremely disappointing - especially when Pipeline was freely available before. Posted Image

They obviously have no clue as to what they are doing. At least you still have the CNNI on TV. (I hope.)
Once again, fade to black and no CNN Today.

#29 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:12 AM

^^ Indeed - I can count myself lucky that I do still have CNNI on TV.

Houston, I did find a link to a stream of CNN International... It actually popped up on the site where there is also a stream of CNNUS. I checked the two streams just before I posted this and the International stream is down - but the US stream is up.

Now, I haven't actually had a chance to see the International stream (so I don't know if it is just the same one available on CNN.com) but I've sent the link to you via PM (otherwise, a publicly posted link to a live stream often results in the removal of the stream within 24 hours).

#30 Nexties

Nexties

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:35 PM

Posted Image
Copy and Paste
http://www.protectedserver.info/phpBB2/CNNdebugLive.php
To the address bar to enter the CNNfan debug site. The Stack overflow error is gone. How does this debug site work in Australia,
England and otherwise internationally where the CNN.com link is blocked? We'll forward the CNNfan test results to CNN.com .
No links please, as we do not want to get cached in the search engines as a debug site.

#31 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:59 AM

I posted the link and the video player came up, but nothing else... No vision, no sound. :(

#32 Nexties

Nexties

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:01 AM

OK, so you are blocked for some reason.

Let's try to unblock you. Go here:

(Note: Right Click / Open in a new window ... Works best. Or else just hit back button.)

http://lab.astonysh....proxy/index.php

And carefully do this:

Posted Image

Troubleshooting this issue internationally is certainly valuable to CNN, but helping to find the solution is even better.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Oops! Forgot to ask permission ... Site Administrator ... Please give a warning if you object to this post.

#33 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:15 AM

Hmmm... I tried doing that in both IE and Firefox - Still nothing.

#34 Nexties

Nexties

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:02 PM

OK, Morpium ... There are other cool ways to debug the code.

In fact, it gets to be more fun at this point, and easier too.

In short, you were very helpful, in the process of elimination.

However, let's pay our respect to the Site Admin here, first.

@Site Admin or Moderator : Are there any objections to embedding

a solution right inside this thread for CNNfans ?

#35 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:53 PM

This will be my last winge on this subject. I watched last night just in case - and they did go to CNN Today London, but only played the first 30 sec to a minute - it sounded like Adrian and then Monita who got cut off at the word marbles(?).
Anyway - it shows they can feed it on their new half-baked beta system, but they are intentionally not. B*******.

#36 nyangel1987

nyangel1987

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:39 PM

in my IE6 it works very well. :) it's soo great! :lol:
Friendship often ends in love... but love in friendship - never.
(Charles Caleb Colton)

#37 Nexties

Nexties

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:49 PM

Houston, thanks for helping CNNfans fix CNN.com Live
by sharing in detail your experiences and problems.

Beta by definition, means CNN.com is still testing it.

CNNfans are simply a large international network worldwide
which can help beta test CNN.com Live.

@Site Admin:
Is there any objection to embedding a solution on this forum?

#38 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:07 PM

I know I said I wouldn't winge again, but the utter absurdity of the people running CNN just gets me. Now CNNI is barely on on the weekend - the new "CNN Live" cuts off at 3 pm ET.
CNN, why pretend you have replaced Pipeline with a better model? You rarely show live TV. And obviously you don't want CNNI seen over the Internet. I'm missing WN with Ralitsa and probably Gorani pieces and am disgusted.
Once I come up with a good title for a bash CNN blog...

#39 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:50 AM

At least now they've quit pretending they are going to run streams at a certain time.
Attached File  Never.JPG   16.54KB   646 downloads

#40 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:51 AM

Have you noticed that "Beta" tag is gone now?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users