80 replies to this topic

#1 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

Seeing as we've been discussing Zucker's changes to CNN Domestic and International, I thought it might be interesting to see what might be happening to HLN, especially now that Scott Safon and Katherine Green both left.

I found this interesting — for the next two days, HLN is being shut down and running on a weekend schedule as the entire production staff is meeting for two days in Atlanta to discuss where HLN is headed:

The next phase of the HLN makeover begins today.

Network president Albie Hecht is in Atlanta for a 2-day network meeting with all production staff, TVNewser has learned. We hear the plan includes making HLN the “social media network,” bringing the immediacy of social media and translating it to TV.

Insiders tell us Hecht gave the pitch to HLN employees last night, while today off-site brainstorming sessions are being held with production teams. Most of today’s shows are on tape or replaced by weekend programming. HLN staffers from New York, Los Angles and Atlanta are attending the meeting at an Atlanta hotel.

http://www.mediabist...new-hln_b205853

HLN — the new social media network?

#2 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:18 AM

Maybe HLN should try competing against Fusion. A younger news channel would extend CNN's reach to a greater audience.

NEW DAY, BLACK FRIDAY 2015

BERMAN: Have shoppers become hooked on their mobile devices to fill their needs?
PEREIRA: Guilty as charged!
BERMAN: Their shopping needs, I'm talking about. We'll break it down next.
PEREIRA: (gasps) What is wrong with you?!
BERMAN: I don't know!

#3 sky303

sky303

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:58 PM

I've noticed they made HLN News Now almost a talk show format  , unless it's been like that for awhile and I didn't know it.

#4 jjerome95

jjerome95

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

If HLN keeps going into the toilet, I wouldn't be surprised if what we see with DirecTV and the Weather Channel happens with them. DirecTV, a pay-TV service dropped the Weather Channel because TWC wanted more money to air reality crap instead of Weather. This is how HLN or CNN will probably die. They put on junk content, ask for more money, and get dropped. 

CNN International Current Anchors and Schedule <--Please update as you see fit

#5 sky303

sky303

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:52 AM

I agree they have nothing watchable besides Robin Meade.... they should  make the channel a variant of CNN International for US viewers who already don't get it ...with Robin Meade still as a morning show opt out .  And CNN should take note about the Weather Channel  Vs. Direct TV no channel is can not not be dropped. 

#6 newdayproducer

newdayproducer

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:37 AM

I've spent weeks trying to figure out the correct formula for HLN, but I finnaly figured it out! So, here it goes:

HLN TV Weekday Programming/Schedule

Morning Block

6:00-Morning Express w/ Robin Meade

9:00-Clark Howard

10:00- News Now (Lynn Berry)

Afternoon Block

12:00-News Now (Mike Galanos)

2:00- Upwave Block

4:00- On the Case (Vinnie Politan)

Evening Block

6:00- Prime News (Mike Brooks & Susan Hendricks)

7:00- What Would You Do?

8:00- Nancy Grace

9:00- Dr.Drew

10:00-HLN After Dark

11:00- Showbiz Tonight

HLN TV Saturday Programming/Schedule

Morning Block

6:00-Weekend Express

Afternoon Block

12:00-News Now (Christi Paul)

2:00-News Now (Victor Blackwell)

3:00-Clark Howard

4:00-News Now (Laura Barron)

Evening Block

6:00- Upwave Block

8:00- HLN Mysteries

HLN TV Sunday Programming/Schedule

Morning Block

6:00-Weekend Express

Afternoon Block

12:00-News Now (Christi Paul)

2:00-American Journey

3:00-Clark Howard

4:00-News Now (Laura Barron)

Evening Block

6:00- Upwave Block

8:00- News Now (Laura Barron)

9:00- HLN Mysteries

HLN TV Staff

Executives

Albie Hecht: Vice President of HLN and General Manager

Keith Brown: SVP of Programming

Kari Kim: VP of Program Development

Adrienne Lopez: Director of Special Projects

Executive Anchors

Mike Galanos: Managing Editor and News Now anchor

Vinnie Politan: Chief Legal Anchor, On the Case anchor, & After Dark Senior Producer

Jennifer Westhoven: Chief Financial Anchor, Morning Express contributor

Bob van Dillen: Chief Weather Anchor, Morning Express contributor

Joe Carter: Chief Sports Correspondent

Dr. Drew Pinskey: Chief Medical Anchor, Dr. Drew anchor

Anchors

Robin Meade: Morning Express anchor

Clark Howard: Financial Correspondent and Clark Howard anchor

Lynn Berry: National Correspondent and News Now anchor

Mike Brooks: National Correspondent and Prime News anchor

Susan Hendricks: National Correspondent and Prime News anchor

John Quinones: What Would You Do? Host

Nancy Grace: Legal Correspondent and Nancy Grace anchor

AJ Hammer: Entertainment Correspondent and Showbiz Tonight anchor

Sara Ganim: Weekend Express anchor

Christi Paul: National Correspondent and rotating anchor

Victor Blackwell: Rotating Anchor

Laura Barron: National Correspondent and Weekend News Now anchor

Correspondents

Bonnie Blossman – HLN

Catherine Callaway – HLN

Jean Casarez - HLN

Shanon Cook – HLN/CNN

Loni Coombs – HLN

Ray D'Alessio – HLN

Corri Fetman – HLN

Holly Firfer – HLN

Jeff Fischel – HLN/CNN

Stacey Honowitz – HLN

Nikki Joel – HLN

Robi Ludwig – HLN

Ashleigh Merchant – HLN

Jasmine Rand – HLN

Renee Rockwell – HLN

Robin Sax – HLN

Samantha Schacher – HLN

Bonnie Schneider – HLN/CNN Meteorologist

Kim Serafin – HLN

Jennifer Smetter – HLN

Melanie Snare – HLN

Jim Spellman – HLN

Patti Stanger – HLN

Dr. Lauren Streicher – HLN Medical Team

Nischelle Turner – HLN/CNN Entertainment Correspondent

Dr. Michelle Ward – HLN Medical Team

Matt Zarrell - HLN

Kelli Zink – HLN

(The names of the correspondents are directly from Wikipedia)

What do we think?

Attached Files

News Junkie :geek:

I love all types of news: hard news, infotainment, analysis and much more. I love creating and tweaking news formats. I am a big fanatic of NBC in the morning, CNN in the late morning/ early afternoon Fox News in the evening at night.

Message me...I message back. :geek:

#7 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:57 AM

Maybe HLN should try competing against Fusion. A younger news channel would extend CNN's reach to a greater audience.

http://www.mediabist...eration_b212988

Did I call it or what?!
They've done an awful lot of cancellations recently. I'm interested in seeing what becomes of HLN. Hecht says that justice will still be a staple on the network, softening his tone on CourtTV 2.0.

And newdayproducer. I like the lower thirds you made for Morning Express. It has more dimension and isn't overly simplistic like the current ones. They really need an update. The studio could use a real renovation too. They got rid of the RP wall and I can't say it looks any better.

Edited by AJJ, 11 February 2014 - 08:03 AM.

BERMAN: Have shoppers become hooked on their mobile devices to fill their needs?

#8 newdayproducer

newdayproducer

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:09 AM

http://www.mediabist...eration_b212988

Did I call it or what?!
They've done an awful lot of cancellations recently. I'm interested in seeing what becomes of HLN. Hecht says that justice will still be a staple on the network, softening his tone on CourtTV 2.0.

And newdayproducer. I like the lower thirds you made for Morning Express. It has more dimension and isn't overly simplistic like the current ones. They really need an update. The studio could use a real renovation too. They got rid of the RP wall and I can't say it looks any better.

Any idea when we can expect these changes, or when HLN is completely the “new TV home for the social media generation"?

News Junkie :geek:

I love all types of news: hard news, infotainment, analysis and much more. I love creating and tweaking news formats. I am a big fanatic of NBC in the morning, CNN in the late morning/ early afternoon Fox News in the evening at night.

Message me...I message back. :geek:

#9 TVman

TVman

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

HLN to add cartoons, game shows, etc.. why don't we just remove HLN from this page as it is no longer a news channel. The following is from today's Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywood...om/print/681393)

HLN is undertaking a major rebranding away from wall-to-wall trial coverage and toward a programming strategy centered on the social media conversation. And executive vp and general manager Albie Hecht, installed last November by CNN Worldwide president Jeff Zucker, is about to push the boundaries on programming for a traditional cable news network with an eclectic development slate that includes game shows, docuseries (which have been successful on CNN) and apps that could also be TV segments.

Hecht, a former Viacom executive, compares his mission at HLN with his experience being a member of the team that launched MTV. "It's about finding the white spaces," he says. "When you build a brand, you're fulfilling a need."

But the landscape is much more crowded and noisy today than it was in 1981 when MTV premiered, or even 2003, when Hecht oversaw the successful transition of TNN to Spike TV, the first network targeting men. But like his boss Zucker, Hecht is prepared to throw things at the proverbial wall. And the network's development slate reveals an eclectic mix of programs that one would not expect to find on a traditional cable news channel. But, says Hecht, he's running after a different audience than MSNBC, Fox News Channel or even CNN.

"News that you share is very different from breaking news that other networks will cover," he notes. "Our content is going to be different."

Here are some of the show in the HLN pipeline:

Videocracy
Produced by My Damn Channel founder and CEO Rob Barnett, Videocracy will have a host and panel counting down the day’s buzziest ripped-from-social-media stories.

Keywords
Developed in-house, the game show asks contestants to identify the search term with five key-word clues. In demonstrating the game, "reality star" and "sex tape" are among the key words for the answer Kim Kardashian. "It's a really infectious show," says Hecht, "but it's really funny and informative too about people's pop culture knowledge."

Vacation Hunters
From Kids Incorporated and Secret World of Alex Mack creator Tom Lynch, whom Hecht worked with during his Nickelodeon days, Vacation Hunters asks Twitter users to describe their dream vacation in 140 characters or less, and the show's team of experts comes up with a vacation plan. The show also has obvious potential for sponsorships and branded content partnerships.

‪#‎What'sYourFomo (app)
Created in-house, the app allows users to personalize and share their list of FOMOs (fear of missing out). The concept also will likely become a television segment. "If we have a celebrity on, an interview question would be, 'What's on your FOMO?' " explains Hecht. It's another way to integrate social media into HLN's current shows, much like the "Who's Robin Following" segment that has popped up on Robin Meade's Morning Express of late.

I Can Haz NewsToons
Produced and created by Fred Seibert (The Fairly Odd Parents, The Nicktoons Film Festival), NewsToons is a half-hour anthology series of social satire cartoons. "We'll bring together all the great web cartoonists and satirists and e-cards and doodles," says Hecht. "We're also hoping to recruit really provocative and smart print cartoonists and bring their pieces to life on TV."

One.Click.Away
Produced and created by John Williams, the man behind ESPN's Scrabble tournaments, the docuseries will reveal the stories behind bizarre, funny and esoteric online classifieds. "The ad that inspired this was: 'Wedding dress, never used, for sale,' " explains Hecht. "We'll also look at strange and hilarious roommate ads. I think the stories behind them will make a great series."

#10 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

AJJ you nailed it. You saw it coming. But I had know idea how full-tilt ADHD social media they were going to go. I guess I'm old cuz this channel sounds awful. Really. Awful. Robin Meade should leave. She is nice and pleasant. Not the sharpest tool in the shed but she doesn't pretend to be something she is not.

#11 sky303

sky303

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

I agree HLN Is not a news channel anymore   , if you have  a show coming called I can haz news toons   you aren't a news channel 

#12 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:55 AM

AJJ you nailed it. You saw it coming. But I had know idea how full-tilt ADHD social media they were going to go. I guess I'm old cuz this channel sounds awful. Really. Awful. Robin Meade should leave. She is nice and pleasant. Not the sharpest tool in the shed but she doesn't pretend to be something she is not.

Completely agreed. Awful. Why would any social media geek watch this? Where's the added value, anything one can't find online? What a waste of money.

#13 HaBa

HaBa

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

I started a comment four times but the fact is: shut it down, for God's sake. There is no reason to keep it anymore - how many times was HLN revamped in the last decade alone? And I doubt "social media" users will ever turn to it. Social media happens on social media - there is no need for a TV channel devoted to it. On a broader note, I guess cable TV is close to saturation in the US - and the constant changes on HLN is a perfect example of that.

Edited by HaBa, 20 February 2014 - 05:26 PM.

#14 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:20 AM

Interesting read on CNNMoney. Time Warner was in talks with Vice and included in the talks was HLN. It would certainly make sense as HLN is trying to be the place for millennials.

http://money.cnn.com...rner/index.html

#15 sky303

sky303

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:51 PM

Vinnie Politan is  leaving HLN and going to WXIA in Atlanta ..

http://www.mediabist...ing-hln_b228850  

#16 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:58 AM

If I were Albie Hecht, I wouldn't be too happy with how Zucker and Bewkes are trying to get rid of the channel Hecht is supposed to rebuild. Not that I like or support anything Hecht says he wants to do with HLN.

#17 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

Really hope Turnes sells this so that CNNI gets the Atlanta set.

We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#18 HaBa

HaBa

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

Time to shut it down? Does it even bring any money? I doubt.

#19 Revorushin

Revorushin

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:12 PM

Really hoped the social tv thing worked out. Really disappointed to see them throwing the channel away like this. Morale on shows like Nancy Grace, Jane Velez, and even Morning Express must be low knowing how the bosses seem to be going out of their way to throw the channel away.

#20 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:54 PM

I wish they could do a hybrid Euronews/original Current TV format with no anchors and rotating content tied into the web. It probably wouldn't take that many resources to do.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users