10 replies to this topic

#1 SJD

SJD

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

Does anyone know when CNN will be available on the UK? CNNi reckons they provide the HD feed to all satellite providers already? So is it up to Sky?
CNN NEWSCENTER/ Monita Rajpal HONG KONG/ Isha Sesay ATLANTA/

#2 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:45 AM

From what I know, it would be up to your provider. For example, HLN was already being broadcast in HD but DirecTV didn't start using the HD feed until late 2012 or early 2013.
NEW DAY, BLACK FRIDAY 2015

BERMAN: Have shoppers become hooked on their mobile devices to fill their needs?
PEREIRA: Guilty as charged!
BERMAN: Their shopping needs, I'm talking about. We'll break it down next.
PEREIRA: (gasps) What is wrong with you?!
BERMAN: I don't know!

#3 SJD

SJD

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:09 AM

From what I know, it would be up to your provider. For example, HLN was already being broadcast in HD but DirecTV didn't start using the HD feed until late 2012 or early 2013.

Ok thanks. I thought CNN would had to pay extra to carry HD on a platform. I hope it's soon then, as we already have Sky, BBC, NHK and RT in HD on Sky.

#4 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:43 AM

The only thing stopping providers from picking up CNNI HD is that it takes up more space in a DTV mux.
Instead of transmitting HD channel, they can transmit way more channels in SD.
If I am not mistaken, CNNI HD bitrate is ~40Mb/s (from a sattelite). And regular CNN is waaaaay lower than this.

#5 SJD

SJD

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:49 AM

BSkyB does seem to have a lot of HD News channels broadcasting though, they have Sky, BBC, NHK, RT. So hopefully they will add CNN HD. Saying that, they're probably aren't bothered as long as their own news channel is in HD.

#6 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

Sure. But because HD channel takes up some much space in a mux, thus is why they charge more for it.
It is only up to a local policy of a local provider.
If the whole freq. is full, then it is just "what we have to get rid of to start transmitting this channel in HD".

And it is a widely known fact that Russia pays via various means so providers could carry RT in HD (or at all).

So, if BSkyB made couple of mux-es just to provide HD (news) channels. Will adding ane more channel make that mux go nuts? Or they maybe should shuffle around in other mux-es to make space?
DVB-T / DVB-C have some limits.
(And if it is DVB-C with internet in the same coax cable, then it is even more complicated).

#7 see_en_en

see_en_en

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

The provider(s) could eventually lower the bitrate at their end to fit it into a mux. They don't have to provide the channel in full quality exactly as they receive it from a station (CNN). 10 Megs for an HD channel is sufficient and from a certain level most viewers can't tell the difference anyway, so what's the point...

And yes, I too am waiting for CNNi to finally start offering their HD feed.

If not HD, at least up the resolution on the SD feed already damn it! It's not even full PAL... (pathetic)

#8 stuartfanning

stuartfanning

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

It is not up to Sky on whether CNNi HD is broadcast or not. CNN need to buy a channel slot on Sky to launch CNNi HD. The other alternative is to use their current channel to broadcast in HD, dropping SD. NHK World did this in the UK, as they are only available on Sky in HD. So the ball is in CNN's court not Sky's!!

#9 SJD

SJD

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

Judging by the email I received from Sky today, it's not likely we will see CNN HD anytime soon. They basically said they have no information as to when or if it might be available. They banged on about it now being in SD widescreen, which we all know anyway. And it doesn't look like CNN wants to push its HD Channel...

#10 stuartfanning

stuartfanning

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:37 PM

CNNi HD has been testing on the Sky UK platform for some time now. Supposed to be added to the Sky EPG today sometime.

#11 stuartfanning

stuartfanning

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:24 AM

Just to confirm that CNNi HD is now on the Sky platform in the UK: channel 506.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users