10 replies to this topic

#1 NZCNNFan

NZCNNFan

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

Yes, yes I know it doesn't classify as a "network" but the journalism from Vice I've seen is outstanding. Simon Ostrovsky has some great reporting in Ukraine before he got arrested and then released. It ponders me to question why CNN with its bread of anchors and reach can't achieve the same.

"The people who watch Fox are not going to watch CNN. You know, let's be honest" Fareed Zakaria

#2 CNN_Maryland

CNN_Maryland

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

Incredible journalism. It's different and new. No general news package but actual investigative, documentary-like journalism. I like it!

#3 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:32 PM

CNN is a large corporation with a high overhead which needs to cover a lot of news around the world.  Vice is an internet company with low overhead which can pick and chose what it covers.  When CNN covers a big issue, such as hurricanes, coups, etc. it can't be beaten. Can Vice compete with that?   There's room for the CNNs and the Vices in this world.  And we're the luckier for it. 

#4 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

Incredible reporting! Don't think that they consider themselves a direct CNN competitor but CNN could learn from them in some ways. Vice shows that high quality international journalism still can be extremly successful. Vice on HBO has had some of the best reports that I've seen in a very long time. They often find an angle to a story that you've never heard before, even if you are a newsjunkie. CNN could aim for that too.

#5 NZCNNFan

NZCNNFan

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:08 AM

Great reporting from Ferguson from Vice. They're right now live from Ferguson, MO. Curfew will be on at 12

"The people who watch Fox are not going to watch CNN. You know, let's be honest" Fareed Zakaria

#6 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:43 AM

Come to think of it -- I;'m not really familiar with VICE.  What's it like?  

#7 NZCNNFan

NZCNNFan

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:29 AM

Feels a lot smaller than CNN. Only a handful of reporters. But there Ukraine coverage was excellent 

#8 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:59 AM

Check out their Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....vicenews/videos Especially the full length documentaries and the "Vice on HBO" series are worth watching!

#9 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:41 AM

Thanks folks!

#10 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

I'm still not a big fan. Yes, occasionally they have some good immersive reports, but I'm still completely against their editorial direction. Being against the status quo and trying to be edgy is fine as long as you're not corporate media, and that is what Vice has become. Sometimes, it seems like they're trying to approach something from a counterculture angle for the sake of being edgy, though it seems so fake especially now that they're not as "alternative" as they used to be. I just have a hard time giving them the time of day.

#11 sky303

sky303

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:06 AM

Vice ,gets a channel thanks to A&E   http://nypost.com/2015/04/28/vice-to-get-tv-channel-replacing-h2-on-ae-networks-roster/  

though it's replacing a Channel I love to watch 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users