#1 wilmington

wilmington

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:51 PM

What are the reasons for these facts?

CNN US, CNN International, HLN etc. are all available in the US.

CNNI is available around the world, but CNN US and HLN aren't.

I know CNN US and HLN target a US audience.  But since CNNI with an international focus is made available at least on some TV platforms within the States, why not offer the US view (CNN US, HLN) to an international audience around the world as well (maybe excl. the commercials?)

Thanks.

#2 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:56 PM

IMO it's because CNNI already offers you an American view plus most cable systems would not be interested in another CNN channel and it would be very confusing to audiences to have 2 CNN channels.

We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#3 wilmington

wilmington

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:01 PM

CNNI tries to establish an international view on news.  Otherwise it would CNN US.

Confusing?  US viewers aren't confused to see CNN, HLN (previously CNN Headline News), and CNN International.  There even was CNNfn once.  Why would viewers around the world be?  I doubt confusion is the issue here.

Edited by wilmington, 27 May 2014 - 10:03 PM.

#4 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:47 PM

Most carriers in the US actually don't carry CNN International. If it is available, it's most likely in a premium package, which most people wouldn't wanna pay for. You're not missing much except maybe Morning Express from HLN.
NEW DAY, BLACK FRIDAY 2015

BERMAN: Have shoppers become hooked on their mobile devices to fill their needs?
PEREIRA: Guilty as charged!
BERMAN: Their shopping needs, I'm talking about. We'll break it down next.
PEREIRA: (gasps) What is wrong with you?!
BERMAN: I don't know!

#5 jjerome95

jjerome95

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:05 AM

For me, I have bright house networks, which has CNNI, however am moving to a place where they don't have CNNI.

CNN and HLN are next to each other and both available in HD. CNNI is at least 100 channels away and only available in SD

CNN International Current Anchors and Schedule <--Please update as you see fit

#6 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:39 AM

I have all three channels on my cable system, and I'm not confused by each edition.

http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#7 NZCNNFan

NZCNNFan

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:41 AM

My idea: CNNi removes many current US focused simulcasts and replays (I'm looking at you CNN Tonight). And allows international cable channels to have CNN US along with CNNi

"The people who watch Fox are not going to watch CNN. You know, let's be honest" Fareed Zakaria

#8 wilmington

wilmington

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:12 AM

I call myself lucky to get all 3 CNN channels in the US and certainly am not confused.  The SD channels are very close to one another.  I don't received CNN International HD, though.

But still, the question remains: so many CNN channels within the US, but the rest of the world won't get CNN US.  Why?

NZCNNFan, you're saying that CNN HQ allows CNN US to be put on international cable systems?

#9 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:19 AM

CNN US and HLN are available in Japan and in some other parts of Asia and Latin America/Carribean. My guess is that CNN did a market research and made a decision based on the results.

#10 wilmington

wilmington

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:28 AM

I take the answer that CNN HQ didn't see a great market interest yet, but also that this is just a guess, no hard fact.

#11 NZCNNFan

NZCNNFan

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:17 AM

NZCNNFan, you're saying that CNN HQ allows CNN US to be put on international cable systems?

Exactly along with CNNi

"The people who watch Fox are not going to watch CNN. You know, let's be honest" Fareed Zakaria

#12 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

My guess is - ratings. While (somewhat) appealing to a domestic crowd, CNN U.S is really not that popular outside USA and is not a channel to-go-to (not counting CNN-fans / very depressed tourists stuck in the middle of nowhere). Does it make any (financial) sense to allocate another channel for them? It would get roughly the same % as "RT" and "CCTV Eng" do.

Although, they can always switch off CNNI and broadcast their "main" channel - CNN U.S.

U.S view is already being telegraphed in in CNNI's programming. And quite heavily.

#13 MVJR4

MVJR4

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:47 AM

Here in the PH, SkyCable (my cable company), has CNNi SD, CNNi HD (which is the one I'm watching) and HLN (I want it because I'd like to see Morning Express, but I don't have it). I would really like CNN/US to be available here (and in HD, please), for variety, I guess. 

nk3oC4P.png "We need a hashtag... #UpholsteredBarStools?-Hala Gorani, 5/8/15

>CNN/U.S. Anchors/Schedule 2017 2016 2015 SOON: 2014

>HLN Anchors/Schedule 2017

>CNN Philippines Anchors/Schedule 2017

>CNN Philippines videos on my YouTube channel!

#14 wilmington

wilmington

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

Not convinced yet when it comes to ratings... appeal of a US channel around the world?  OK.

The world has many news stations, so does the US.

So again: many CNN sister networks in the US despite many other news channels, but still: only one in the rest of the world (besides Japan, see above.)

#15 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

The thing is, most people, outside of US, think CNNI is actually the same CNN people in US get. In fact I used to think that too when I first became a regular viewer in the early 00s. So for most viewers CNNI is THE CNN , one and only, and it represents news from the US and from the US perspective, as oppose to BBC or Sky, for example.

This is why having another CNN would be more than confusing.

We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#16 wilmington

wilmington

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

I can't say anything about what confuses "people" in the world.  I'd be generalizing...

#17 jjerome95

jjerome95

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:49 PM

Thinking on the number of times CNN has simulcast CNNUS, and the anchor mentioned that was CNNUS's feed, I'm sure it wouldn't be confusing

CNN International Current Anchors and Schedule <--Please update as you see fit

#18 wilmington

wilmington

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:52 PM

Very good point. And true.

#19 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:18 AM

The thing is, most people, outside of US, think CNNI is actually the same CNN people in US get. In fact I used to think that too when I first became a regular viewer in the early 00s. So for most viewers CNNI is THE CNN , one and only, and it represents news from the US and from the US perspective, as oppose to BBC or Sky, for example.

This is why having another CNN would be more than confusing.

I agree, and I also want to point out that it works both ways. Most Americans seem to be unaware that CNN broadcasts internationally, or even if they think that it does, they think that it's the same version of CNN in the U.S.

As for the main topic, we've been over this many times on here. CNN has no interest in trying to pursue cable carriage of "niche" networks like CNNI or CNN/fn. It's difficult and time-consuming trying to get a channel added to a cable lineup in the U.S., and it's likely not worth the effort for how many viewers it would get, especially considering that it would likely end up on a high-end digital tier that even fewer people pay for, let alone know which 3-digit channel number is which. But CNN almost always having CNNI play second- or third-fiddle is endemic of a lot of U.S. media. U.S. news outlets are far less interested in world news and include far less international perspectives in their news coverage than those in other countries with a (mostly) free press. It's a shame, and it's frustrating for a lot of people like us who are interested in what's happening outside our borders, though at least we now have better options than we used to. AJAM and BBC World have made huge inroads in the last two years in getting into U.S. households, and there's so much available online now that it makes CNNI's absence on my cable box seem less relevant than it used to.

#20 wilmington

wilmington

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:45 AM

OK, I've read several views now, thanks.

For certainty, I guess only CNN HQ can answer that question for good.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users