#1 Norwegian viewer

Norwegian viewer

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

CNN has updated Hala's bio page

But - no surprize - CNNI have problems when it comes to airing times and the web. "Airing at 15.00CET and 20.00GMT." Well.... as we know, it's airing at 2100 CET, so both airing times they are mentioning in thebio, are incorrect. 

#2 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:22 PM

At least the GMT time will be correct in winter ;-)

#3 Jordy

Jordy

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:29 PM

Technically they're still correct, as it is still airing at that time GMT. It's just airing an hour+ difference in BST.

Europeans will be a lot more aware of GMT timings than BST, so makes sense to list GMT.

#4 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

Technically they're still correct, as it is still airing at that time GMT. It's just airing an hour+ difference in BST.

It's wrong in Summer as it airs at 1900GMT/2000BST/2100CET. 2000GMT is the QMB slot in Summer

It would probably be best not to use GMT in situations like this as apart from 'CNN Newsroom Live from Hong Kong' nothing in the CNN schedule airs at the same time GMT all year round

#5 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

Excel, please don't tell people not to use GMT  -- other ways may make sense to you, but I don't understand what you want. GMT is fine with me.  I know how to translate it to whatever time zone Egypt chooses to use at any given time.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.  

Please note, I'm, not telling you not to use whatever system you want to add -- I'm just asking that you use GMT & the other system.  

#6 jjerome95

jjerome95

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

But - no surprize - CNNI have problems when it comes to airing times and the web. "Airing at 15.00CET and 20.00GMT." Well.... as we know, it's airing at 2100 CET, so both airing times they are mentioning in thebio, are incorrect.

CET is supposed to be EDT

CNN International Current Anchors and Schedule <--Please update as you see fit

#7 Norwegian viewer

Norwegian viewer

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

Yes, you are right. Meaning that the following would be corrrect: "Airing at 15.00 EDT and 19.00 GMT." But in general, no good idea to mention airing times in bio because of DST changes. If they had used CET instead of GMT, it would be easier.

#8 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:09 PM

Yes, you are right. Meaning that the following would be corrrect: "Airing at 15.00 EDT and 19.00 GMT." But in general, no good idea to mention airing times in bio because of DST changes. If they had used CET instead of GMT, it would be easier.

For me GMT is best b/c we follow our own tune here in Egypt with regard to DST.  It didn't start here until May or early June,, then we went off it for Ramadan, when Ramadan ends at the end of the July and then we go back on DST.  So sometimes we're on CET and sometimes Istanbul time.  Easier to remember GMT - 1 or -2 than which city are we aligned with now.  

#9 Norwegian viewer

Norwegian viewer

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

For me GMT is best b/c we follow our own tune here in Egypt with regard to DST.  It didn't start here until May or early June,, then we went off it for Ramadan, when Ramadan ends at the end of the July and then we go back on DST.  So sometimes we're on CET and sometimes Istanbul time.  Easier to remember GMT - 1 or -2 than which city are we aligned with now.  

I understand. You can always "trust" GMT, not changing.... What I ment with "easier", was this: If these web folks, having problems with getting airing times correct, had used CET, they could write in the bio that it's airing at 2100 CET, and it would be correct most of the year. Now they have to update with 1900 GMT and 2000 GMT, as time changes, and I feel sure they will not be able to get it correct. The best would be not to mention airing time in bio at all, and just keep that kind of info in schedules.

#10 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

I understand. You can always "trust" GMT, not changing.... What I ment with "easier", was this: If these web folks, having problems with getting airing times correct, had used CET, they could write in the bio that it's airing at 2100 CET, and it would be correct most of the year. Now they have to update with 1900 GMT and 2000 GMT, as time changes, and I feel sure they will not be able to get it correct. The best would be not to mention airing time in bio at all, and just keep that kind of info in schedules.

They do seem to have a problem with time zones.  I sympathize, but I don't have to get time zones correct for my living.  You're absolutely right that they shouldn't put times in the bios.  They don't normally do it, do they?  

#11 Norwegian viewer

Norwegian viewer

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

They do seem to have a problem with time zones.  I sympathize, but I don't have to get time zones correct for my living.  You're absolutely right that they shouldn't put times in the bios.  They don't normally do it, do they? 

No, normally not.

#12 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

Thread for this dicsussion!

We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users