11 replies to this topic

#1 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

This is an absolutely tragic story. "Raining body parts," as Mr. Schneider described:
http://www.mediabist...-cooper_b232649
NEW DAY, BLACK FRIDAY 2015

BERMAN: Have shoppers become hooked on their mobile devices to fill their needs?
PEREIRA: Guilty as charged!
BERMAN: Their shopping needs, I'm talking about. We'll break it down next.
PEREIRA: (gasps) What is wrong with you?!
BERMAN: I don't know!

#2 StayConnected

StayConnected

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:56 PM

Yeah. Absolute horror. I know people who have lost friends. And friends of friends who've lost people. Our entire country is affected by the disaster, the worst airline accident involving dutchmen since 1977. :rip: :cry:

No matter where news happens, CNN is there.

#3 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:27 PM

So sorry, Stay Connected for your country's loss.  You have a small enough country that almost everyone knows someone who has lost a loved one.  

#4 Norwegian viewer

Norwegian viewer

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

Living in The Netherlands, Stay Connected, what do you think about the media coverage, especially on CNN? I think CNN is doing a good job, but perhaps it is about to be too much wall-to-wall now. 

#5 StayConnected

StayConnected

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

So sorry, Stay Connected for your country's loss.  You have a small enough country that almost everyone knows someone who has lost a loved one.  

Thanks for your support. The reason why our entire country is in shock, besides the brutality of the attack, because the victims came from all parts of the country as you can see on this map https://mapsengine.g...eI.k5yYInaoJDUc

Living in The Netherlands, Stay Connected, what do you think about the media coverage, especially on CNN? I think CNN is doing a good job, but perhaps it is about to be too much wall-to-wall now. 

Well CNN's coverage has been intense, but now slowly returning back to 'normal'. Not losing it's attention on other huge stories like Gaza, the road to economic recovery and so on. But this story deserves the coverage it gets, since (contrasting MH 370) this wasn't an accident but an deliberate shoot down with international consequences and very likely the tipping point in the Ukraine/Russian conflict.

CNN has learned from it's mistake it made with MH 370. It's okay to wrap up the MH17 story at the beginning of each show, but let's not forget the world is on fire right now.  

Edited by StayConnected, 20 July 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#6 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

StayConnected.  Just a fyi from this American living in Egypt.  My English ancestors (400 years ago) lived in Holland for a while so they could have religious freedom.   So I think very highly of your country.

Hopefully, this will resolve itself soon.  

Edited by Carolina Argentina, 20 July 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#7 StayConnected

StayConnected

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

Thanks guys. 

I really don't have any clue of what might happen next. But NL is too small to handle this alone. (Edit: Russia is 457 times larger than The Netherlands). Putin laughs at us, mainly because Russia is NL's third largest economic partner. So we have to cooperate with the EU, the US, Malaysia and Australia and speak with one mouth. 

Edited by StayConnected, 20 July 2014 - 03:42 PM.

#8 Beano

Beano

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

It has been more than a week but the tragedy still dominates life here in the Netherlands. And I don't think that this will change anytime soon. Not sure what the long term effects will be, but I don't doubt that there will be. There is great anger at Russia but there is also disappointment in the lacking response of European partners. The Dutch are wondering who their real friends are.

The sense of chaos of the first few days was almost unbearable. The idea that the bodies of loved ones lay unprotected in the fields while their possesions where looted hit home massively. Never ever experienced that sense of devastation before. The fact that bodies are now being returned felt like a relief. But at the same time there is still a great sense of loss. The victims where no strangers: when I look at their pictures and read their stories I recognise what a lot of my friends and family are. This disaster feels much more personal than any disaster we have experienced in this country before.

#9 Norwegian viewer

Norwegian viewer

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:29 AM

I read today that the PM of The Netherlands and Malaysia will meet next week to discuss access to the site, picking up the remains still there, and so on. "Next week"? This should have happened already. All the victims are not home yet. http://www.themalays...mh17-crash-site 

#10 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

I think that such moves have to be approved by Parliament and that this process was quite lengthy in Holland.   

#11 Beano

Beano

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

I read today that the PM of The Netherlands and Malaysia will meet next week to discuss access to the site, picking up the remains still there, and so on. "Next week"? This should have happened already. All the victims are not home yet. http://www.themalays...mh17-crash-site

I don't think it concerns anything that is going to delay the investigation. Some Malaysian and Dutch investigators have allready been at the scene of the crash.

There is still a lot of confusion though. A lot of contradicting reports. Very disappointed that this is still happening 9 days after the crash. :|

#12 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

They're dealing with the pro-Russian militias who change their mind every half hour or so who don't want anyone there.  Makes it difficult.  The issue that the Dutch government is dealing with is, I think, whether to send troops there to protect the investigators and whether to send more investigators without armed troops protecting them.  

But it is a shame that it's taken this long.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users