182 replies to this topic

#21 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

Whose job is it to ensure that the anchors pronounce the names properly?  

#22 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

vlcsnap_2014_08_31_19h12m42s163.pngvlcsnap_2014_08_31_19h15m40s154.pngvlcsnap_2014_08_31_19h20m18s116.png

vlcsnap_2014_08_31_19h27m10s137.pngvlcsnap_2014_08_31_19h27m10s144.pngvlcsnap_2014_08_31_19h27m12s160.png

vlcsnap_2014_08_31_19h27m16s200.pngvlcsnap_2014_08_31_19h27m19s230.png

We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#23 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

Whose job is it to make sure that she knows Reza Sayah is a he and not a she?

#24 Gman

Gman

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:31 PM

Watching her on IDesk now and I'm not impressed. Seems like she's just reading her stuff, not showing a lot of interest in anything. Plus, you just can't enter a CNN studio and mispronounce Jeanne Moos' name. She called her Gee-Ann Moose!

I thought that it was Gee-knee Moose?

#25 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

She did correct herself on the next edition of IDesk which she introduced as International IDesk and then eventually went on mispronouncing Shinzo Abe's surname (Abe sounded like Abe Lincoln!). Today, she introduced Reza Sayah as a woman called Riza. Looked rather surprised when she realized the mistake. I know almost everyone here likes her, but to me she seems like a serious trainwreck. Sorry!

#26 diddy5

diddy5

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:46 PM

You're not alone newser, she's terrible.

#27 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

She did correct herself on the next edition of IDesk which she introduced as International IDesk and then eventually went on mispronouncing Shinzo Abe's surname (Abe sounded like Abe Lincoln!). Today, she introduced Reza Sayah as a woman called Riza. Looked rather surprised when she realized the mistake. I know almost everyone here likes her, but to me she seems like a serious trainwreck. Sorry!

Why can't those pesky folks have proper names like Phil Black and Nic Robertson?   JOKE  

Isn't she from Australia?  Shouldn't she know Shinzo Abe's name?  Or did she just do Kangaroo Reports?   And after mistakes with Jeanne Moose's name, I'd think she would go over the names of her colleagues or at least the ones that are going to be on the show.  

I thought that Reza Sayah was a gentleman when he didn't react to her mistake.  

That said, she's probably overwhelmed by the new job.  I'm not going to write her off yet, but I sure am going to laugh at her until she improves.  

#28 LizfromOz

LizfromOz

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:41 PM

So glad to see Lynda on the news again...i'd wondered where she'd got to!

@ Maryland - As someone who lives in Australia, let me tell you that she's been working in news here for probably a decade - She was on a current affairs program most recently...

Re celebrity status -  We don't really have celebrity journo's in Aus...there's probably only 4 morning show hosts which you would say are 'celebrities'...

Re Lynda Kinkade's background - Just did a quick google and dug up some info if any of you are interested...seems she's not just a pretty face...looks like she's work her hard and overcome a bit (including brain surgery) to get where she is... 

I think she did a bit of anchoring in Aus, not much though...but it's obviously the next step...I think we should all give her a go!

http://heartkidsnsw....ns-ambassadors/

http://www.linkedin....kade/77/827/282

#29 newswatcher

newswatcher

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:43 PM

To the armchair critics, we're a small team (given our output!) churning out bulletin after bulletin and working on developing stories. In this anchor's defence around half of her second show yesterday was being written while she was on air talking to correspondents and the same thing happened for her second show last weekend. I think she handled it really well. But what won me over was when I heard someone complain to her about an "unorganised producer" rather than agree she defended this person and then went on to commend the person for getting 4 live shots in the bulletin when they thought they would not get any.

This lady has class and talent. 

Edited by newswatcher, 02 December 2014 - 08:05 PM.

#30 newsjunkie1

newsjunkie1

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for the info @lizfromoz & thanks for the caps @ginnyfan

I watched Lynda Kinkade anchor 4 bulletins and 6 headlines on this weekend, on only her second weekend at the Idesk and she looks like she's been anchoring at CNN for years. The 3 pronunciation stumbles are nothing.

I guess the negative comments are coming from people who are jealous. She's a natural. :) 

#31 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:57 PM

She repeated the same types of mistakes.  To me, that's a problem.  

You have to remember, it looks like she's replacing the much beloved Finnoula Sweeney.  

#32 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for the info @lizfromoz & thanks for the caps @ginnyfan

I watched Lynda Kinkade anchor 4 bulletins and 6 headlines on this weekend, on only her second weekend at the Idesk and she looks like she's been anchoring at CNN for years. The 3 pronunciation stumbles are nothing.

I guess the negative comments are coming from people who are jealous. She's a natural. :)

I don't think it's jealousy. You have to understand, a bunch of really experienced and talented people were just laid off at CNN. They were loved by people on this forum. Then all of a sudden, we see a new face that can't perform at that same level that is supposed to serve as the replacement of the said people.
NEW DAY, BLACK FRIDAY 2015

BERMAN: Have shoppers become hooked on their mobile devices to fill their needs?
PEREIRA: Guilty as charged!
BERMAN: Their shopping needs, I'm talking about. We'll break it down next.
PEREIRA: (gasps) What is wrong with you?!
BERMAN: I don't know!

#33 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:25 PM

But my criticism is not based upon the loss of Ms. Sweeney.  It's based upon her performance.  

#34 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:50 PM

But my criticism is not based upon the loss of Ms. Sweeney.  It's based upon her performance.  

Oh, I was agreeing with you :) Just adding on my thoughts.

NEW DAY, BLACK FRIDAY 2015

BERMAN: Have shoppers become hooked on their mobile devices to fill their needs?
PEREIRA: Guilty as charged!
BERMAN: Their shopping needs, I'm talking about. We'll break it down next.
PEREIRA: (gasps) What is wrong with you?!
BERMAN: I don't know!

#35 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:34 PM

Oh, I was agreeing with you :) Just adding on my thoughts.

Ok.  Sorry.  

#36 LizfromOz

LizfromOz

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:56 PM

Yes Ms Sweeney is a fantastic journalist...and a much loved one, but are we seriously going to compare a 30-something year old up-and-coming journo to an old hand who has 20 years on her? 

Breaking news - Ms Sweeney would have been young and inexperienced once too! How do you think people become experienced? Thankfully Ms Sweeney didn't have armchair critics sitting at home on their computers back when she started in the 90's...maybe she wouldn't be around if she had to face the same scrutiny from the powerful people behind their keyboards! I'm sure she's made her fair share of mistakes too. 

@ Carolina Argentina - I meant to ask earlier, what's a kangaroo report? Is that just a racist dig at Australians and our journo's? Have you been to Australia? I would have hope an idesk fan would be more worldly than to poke fun. 

#37 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:15 PM

It would be the equivalent of someone at a local newspaper in the US being assigned to the dogcatcher beat.   Just using something that is particular to Oz.  Didn't mean to offend.  Sorry.  

#38 LizfromOz

LizfromOz

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:41 PM

Just to stop the misconception - We don't own kangaroos as pets, we don't ride them to work or school, and many Australian's wouldn't have even seen a kangaroo outside of a zoo  - They're mainly only found in rural area's I.e. small coastal towns, country farming areas, etc. We do however have dogs! haha

Ms Kinkade was most recently on Today Tonight (same show as Ms Coren) - It's a show that we Aussies have a love/hate relationship with... Ms Kinkade did a bit of soft/fluff pieces ie fashion and entertainment (no kanagaroos haha), but from memory she was usually the reporter doing the hard-hitting stories ie politics, natural disasters, investigative etc. Most recently Ch 7 have been using her as an American correspondent, but I'm looking forward to seeing her on a more regular basis!   

#39 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:55 PM

I was looking up Lynda to check out her street cred, but so far, she's been doing pretty good at CNN. Yes, she has had mistakes in pronunciations of some things, but guess what? So has everyone else on their first years.

http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#40 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:51 AM

Armchair critics? Gimme a break. I absolutely understand if the situation was urgent and messy and half the scripts were not even written ahead of the show. Mistakes will happen. But when they get repeated, they get noticed. Wouldn't it be wiser to pair her with a co-anchor for a week or two in the overnight shift instead of throwing her solo into the weekend flagship newscast immediately?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users