182 replies to this topic

#41 LizfromOz

LizfromOz

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:09 AM

I agree Newser - I'm not saying she should be doing that shift or that she should be flying solo just yet, I'm saying give her a go because i've seen what she's capable of on Aust. TV...I just think it's way to easy to sling mud these days. 

I have a lot of respect for anchors and reporters - they're the face of the entire company and they will get the blame whether they stuff up, a producer stuffs up or the person writing the autocue stuffs up.  - Obviously I'm well aware that pronunciation of names is her mistake, all i'm saying is to give her a go... I'd hate to think how we'd all fare if our first few days at new job was broadcast to the world. 

#42 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:22 AM

It was a holiday weekend in the US (and now Americans can't wear white until the end of May)  No one else was there.  

#43 newsjunkie1

newsjunkie1

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:13 AM

Newser needs to take a step back and chill! 

It was a long weekend! I'm sure some of the other anchor's wanted a weekend off! 

Lynda Kinkade did a fantastic job - I like her style. She seemed very comfortable in the chair. All I can say is I hope we see more of her!!! :)

#44 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:37 AM

Yes Ms Sweeney is a fantastic journalist...and a much loved one, but are we seriously going to compare a 30-something year old up-and-coming journo to an old hand who has 20 years on her?

Breaking news - Ms Sweeney would have been young and inexperienced once too! How do you think people become experienced? Thankfully Ms Sweeney didn't have armchair critics sitting at home on their computers back when she started in the 90's...maybe she wouldn't be around if she had to face the same scrutiny from the powerful people behind their keyboards! I'm sure she's made her fair share of mistakes too.

@ Carolina Argentina - I meant to ask earlier, what's a kangaroo report? Is that just a racist dig at Australians and our journo's? Have you been to Australia? I would have hope an idesk fan would be more worldly than to poke fun.

Look, I'm not making any comparisons because her experience simply couldn't compare to those of her predecessors. As others have said, she will improve over time. My point simply is that viewers have viewing habits and will expect a certain standard out of the network they are watching. That's my point. I'm not attacking her in any way which is why it puzzles me that you're being so defensive. I understand you have respect for anchors--they very much deserve it for the sometimes thankless jobs they do, but can you also respect those that may have a different opinion than yours?
NEW DAY, BLACK FRIDAY 2015

BERMAN: Have shoppers become hooked on their mobile devices to fill their needs?
PEREIRA: Guilty as charged!
BERMAN: Their shopping needs, I'm talking about. We'll break it down next.
PEREIRA: (gasps) What is wrong with you?!
BERMAN: I don't know!

#45 Gman

Gman

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:28 AM

I have yet to see her but if she has an Australian accent, I like her!

#46 newswatcher

newswatcher

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

@newser most people in the newsroom are aware that scripts were popping up in the auto-cue with the words **Urgent followed by wire copy and were saved moments before this anchor had to communicate them to the world. Yes that happens from time to time but a lot of those stories were not breaking. And this happened on Lynda Kinkade's second day at the desk. I think she sailed through it and more importantly she conveyed the information like any experienced anchor would - with authority, poise and just the right amount of expression. This new person to the our team needs to be given a chance - she's got what is takes.

#47 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:06 PM

CGShLCj.png

D155HIZ.png

#48 Gman

Gman

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:34 PM

Am seeing her for the first time now and by jimeny I think I like her.

Am not worried about pronunciation (as long as it's close) or little slips but her style, manner and demeanour get a thumbs up from me.

#49 djthproductions

djthproductions

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:06 AM

I realy like her! And what about her pronunciation? It is Aussie but realy great to understand, I have watched quit a lot of Aussie series!

Soulfull greetz,

Tahar

#50 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:33 PM

I saw some of her and she was fine,  Used to Aussie accents, so no problem with that. 

#51 newsjunkie1

newsjunkie1

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:46 PM

I have to say I really love Lynda Kinkade at the anchor desk. :)

Relaxed yet confident, in control. She is so easy to listen to/watch and so engaging with the correspondents etc. 

Any caps anyone? I have a couple but they are not very clear.

#52 Gman

Gman

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:30 AM

I realy like her! And what about her pronunciation? It is Aussie but realy great to understand, I have watched quit a lot of Aussie series!

Not pronunciation as in accent... Didn't someone pass comment about the fact that she mispronounced some names or was that a different anchor?!

Good grief! You can't beat an Australian accent when it comes to watching the news. Give me Lynda, Rosie and John everyday!

#53 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:43 AM

Those Aussies don't know how to pronounce Los Angeles -- they say An-gel-eeees and not An-gel-us.  Yes, I know that's not the spanish pronunciation, but that's how we say it.  

#54 tipster

tipster

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:20 AM

Hate, hate, hate "Loss Anne Ja Lees"  .  .. . find it so annoying . .  I don't think Rosie and John say it that way. .  Andrew Stevens does, and so too Holmes I think.

#55 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:15 AM

I guess I should have divided it between Aussies who don't live in the US and those who do.  I don' remember Holmes saying it, but Andrew Stevens does for sure.  

#56 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:57 PM

Hate, hate, hate "Loss Anne Ja Lees"  .  .. . find it so annoying . .  I don't think Rosie and John say it that way. .  Andrew Stevens does, and so too Holmes I think.

I thought the Brits say it like that. I know Richard Quest does.

http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#57 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:13 PM

Richard Quest has lived in the US long enough to know how to pronounce it.  

#58 Gman

Gman

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:18 PM

Because I come from good old catholic Ireland, I would pronounce it Angelus despite the spelling.

As far as I know, the state broadcaster still broadcasts the Angelus bell at 6pm every evening!! The country is meant to pause and say the Angelus prayer... Nothing to do with Los Angeles, Lynda Kinkade or the topic in general but I thought that I would share!

#59 djthproductions

djthproductions

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:36 PM

Spanish peeps would say it in Spanish because it is a Spanish city (too). And then it would be Loss-Ang-Go-Loss.

Soulfull greetz,

Tahar

#60 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:00 PM

In LA the Spanish pronunciation of ANGELES is an-hell-'ace.  The singular is angel which is pronouned an'hell.  

Early history of LA from Wikipedia; 

Los Angeles was founded on September 4, 1781, by Spanish governor Felipe de Neve.[22] It became a part of Mexico in 1821 following the Mexican War of Independence.[23] In 1848, at the end of the Mexican–American War, Los Angeles and the rest of California were purchased as part of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, thereby becoming part of the United States.[24] Los Angeles was incorporated as a municipality on April 4, 1850, five months before California achieved statehood.[25]

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users