Rafael Nadal

111 replies to this topic

#21 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:18 AM

I totally forgot about the French Open until I saw it on this morning. Of course I'm cheering for Rafa, but was stunned about Henin.

#22 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:56 PM

Kristie Lu Stout has the hots for Raphael. If ya saw CNN Today last week you'll already know this. Kristie Lu told viewers that because of the age difference she was a"Cougar" Never understood where that expression arose from at the time but thanks to Wikipedia I do now. :lol:

Going off topic I find it somewhat suprising that Jimmy Connors and John McEnroe never won the French, especially Connors as he was a bassliner. Amazing acheivement by Andre Agassi to win all four slams on different surfaces. Years ago three of the four slams were played on grass so it was easier then.

Sampras and Federer no French between them either.
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
"Do not adjust your set she really is that beautiful."
YWT 14th November 2006

#23 Nexties

Nexties

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:26 AM

Spitfire,
Haven't read about "Cougar" in wikipedia yet. In the USA it is commonly used in pubs to describe a highly attractive older woman who has the power to arouse younger men and is on the prowl for young men who sometimes are the boyfriends of younger women in the pub.

Cougars make for a good night out drinking in the pub because they combine intellect with good looks, which makes for fun conversation. God bless their souls, every one of them.

** This does not suggest intellect and good looks does not apply to young women too. They certainly do apply. The funny part is, that it is the young women who much more often find use for the term "Cougar". While young men find very little use for it.

#24 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:34 PM

As always Nexties doesn't do dull and dreary postings.
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
YWT 14th November 2006

#25 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:06 PM

Spitfire, thanks for the info on KLS. I know Isha is a fan too.

Rafa won Roland Garros for the 4th time in a row. The same thing was done by Bjorn Borg in the 70's and 80's.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#26 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:29 AM

I just read where Sharapova lost. Don't mind that.
Hope Nadal can do it this year on the Men's side - I'm not into Federer and his custom Wimbledon outfits. I know he's a nice guy, but that just seems so over the top.
And just to be daring - I'll pick Amelie Mauresmo for the women since it's French month.

#27 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:58 PM

I also hope Rafa can do it, he's such a nice, humble young man, he deserves it so much. His fighting spirit, hard work and mental toughness are amazing.

Monita said this morning mental strengh is so important in tennis. I guess those tennis lessions are paying off. :lol: :lol: :lol:

BYW, I'm so sorry Maria lost. :( :( :(
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#28 Thot

Thot

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:35 PM

Tennis always was one of my favourite sports. And although Iím not a daily sport follower I try to be updated about it.
I actually like Federer. Most people here seem to discard him because he is a nice guy. That is something Iíll never get in the human mind. We complain about the bad guysí/girlís, but when we finally face someone, who achieved a goal with their talent and hard work, we discard all that because he/ she have that nice person side.
We should celebrate nice people.
People, who have the talent to achieve big quests despite being nice, they should be a roll model, not something we distaste or discard.
Federer won all is quests because he is a talented and hard working player. No one achieves that without those qualities. So ditch Federer? I hope there is lots of Federerís likes in Tennis and other sports. He is an example, not only because he is a winner, but because he deals with it with lots of modesty.
Nadal is great, But Federer is better. That is a fact. And Nadal may the best in the clay-court, but he still has to prove to be great in other type of courts as well.

Tennis is a hard game. I have more respect for it then I have for Football/soccer. Itís all about the player, a small racket and even tinier ball. Luck here, is not as evident as in football. You have to be real good, be real fit, and be real concentrated so you can achieve your goal. As in Football, luck has a great key. Just watch the Euro 2008 and you know Iím talking about.

I admire of people that aim to achieve something despite all odds. In tennis Iím still a big admirer of Steffi Graf. When everyone was saying her career was finished, because she had to deal with personal and physical problems (the scandal around her father and her back problems), she end up winning her 22nd and last Grand Slam title in the French Open in 1999, the year that she also retired from Tennis.
Posted Image

#29 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:22 PM

What a game. Good for Nadal.

#30 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:46 AM

That was the best final ever. 4 hours and 48 minutes of best tennis and in the end Rafa winning his first Wimbledon. He is now the third player ever to win Roland Garros and Wimbledon in the same year. Befor him only Borg and Laver did that.

It was so emotional, with all the drama, raind delays, wasted match points. In the 5. set I was sure he'll lose like last year couse he was up 2 - 0 and had 5-2 in the 3. set tie break. But he showed even more mental strenght and forgot about all that, held his serve and in the end broke Roger and won 9-7 in the 5.

I cried in the end when he went to hug his family. The ceremony looked even better in the night with all the lights flashing from the reporters.

Rafa is still No2 on ATP list but he's No1 in the race this year and in reallity with 6 titles already, 2 of them Grand Slams.

VAMOS CAMPEON!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#31 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:47 PM

Thanks for those lovely pictures ginnyfan!!!! You actually cried when he won?? You sure are a true supporter of Rafa.

#32 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:30 PM

Yes. :oops: :oops: :oops: I love tennis and he is my favorite player but also a role model as a person. I watch his every match, lose nerves when he's doing bad. This final has been a roller coaster, very emotional and in the end it was a culmination of everything for me.

Rafa relaxing home with his friends and girlfriend.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
---> by MTF veyonce
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#33 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 04:43 PM

I actually feel sorry for Federer. Rafa should have let him win his 6th title, which would match him with Bjork in the history books, but that couldn't happen. Sorry Roger, but you have 6 years more to prove so. :wink:

#34 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:21 AM

I am only a casual tennis fan but that match was a greast advert for the game. Roger lost but showed he is a fighter who gave his all to the very end. Both came out of it with a whole lotta credit.
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
YWT 14th November 2006

#35 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:04 PM

I just read the list of players for the Olympics, could be another Federer v. Nadal. But being the Olympics, it could be an upset winner. Does anyone know the surface?

#36 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:19 PM

It will be played on hard courts, sadly. :(

#37 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:13 PM

Do they play country vs country? or individually??

#38 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:08 PM

Hmm, hard courts may favor Federer.
I think the individuals get the medal. Never hear Germany/Belgium won the gold medal - it's always Steffi or Justine won the gold medal.

#39 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:57 PM

What's the ranking of Venus and Serena??, both of them must be in the top 5 now i guess.

#40 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:25 PM

I think Serena is No5 and Venus No 7. Venus didn't get any extra points couse she defended her Wimbledon title.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users