292 replies to this topic

#241 Jordy

Jordy

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:23 PM

CNN Today solo again today, seems to be an increasing trend.

Didn't Newsroom HK go the same way? LOL.

#242 Jordy

Jordy

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:11 PM

Not very nice of Amara and Michael ignoring the lovely Kate Riley at the end of the show on Wednesday. Especially when they're all on camera.

#243 theBlockerPH

theBlockerPH

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:36 PM

Not very nice of Amara and Michael ignoring the lovely Kate Riley at the end of the show on Wednesday. Especially when they're all on camera.

I saw that... Michael is also showing Amara something on his smartphone. ha!

#244 Jordy

Jordy

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:02 AM

I saw that... Michael is also showing Amara something on his smartphone. ha!

Michael was probably showing Amara his hairy panic pics. :)

#245 Jordy

Jordy

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:07 PM

CNN must either be running out of money or its a very slow news day as at 4 minutes into the sbow, they're recycling an exact story that was Amanpour a few weeks back about the Mosul dam. No new information here, and they even replayed parts of the two interviews that were on the Amanpour show. I even believe this was an edition that Michael himself hosted in for Christiane.

#246 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:48 AM

That's strange, but yes, weekends are very, very slow when it comes to news. Nobody ever organizes press events outside of the work week, so you pretty much have to rely on crime, disasters, and weather for news since little else goes on. I guess the exceptions this week are the Syria cease fire and Iranian elections.

Edited by Charles, 29 February 2016 - 12:50 AM.

#247 Jordy

Jordy

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:29 PM

That's strange, but yes, weekends are very, very slow when it comes to news. Nobody ever organizes press events outside of the work week, so you pretty much have to rely on crime, disasters, and weather for news since little else goes on. I guess the exceptions this week are the Syria cease fire and Iranian elections.

CNNi are not new to replaying old stories, just thought the timing and nature of this one was strange. I also seen that CNN Today only aired for the first hour yesterday, I don't know if it continued in Asia but we got the tinsel town coverage here in EMEA region. Maybe that had something to do with.

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I'm increasingly finding CNN Today a turn off. I usually try and catch Hala's show a few hours earlier now.

#248 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:58 PM

Easily the best newscast on CNNI. Lots of interviews, rolling news, great hosts, chemistry, banter. Everything CNNI had in its glory days.

We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#249 Jordy

Jordy

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:22 PM

I want to pick up on something Amara Walker said on the show yesterday about the diversity in Hollywood. She was talking to an Asian guest and she was saying that she looked up to Asian colleagues as she felt she could relate to them more etc... Now, I do not have a problem with this whatsoever, BUT... could you imagine if a white person said that? They would get slaughtered and called racist.

It's like if Micahel said to a white guest, I liked growing up watching white people on TV because I could relate to them more and felt more comfortable around them. He would be branded a racist.

It still seems obvious that people make such a big deal about race, no wonder racism is still a major issue. The polls about the US Election are always discusse about the black v white vote. It's quite sad to see I think.

People in general calls out racism, yet most still makes a deal about race.

#250 imjohndoeandthisiscnn

imjohndoeandthisiscnn

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:29 PM

I think the reason she would have said that is down to the lack of Asians in the media and definitely not for any other reason.

"The news coverage continues. Around the world, around the clock, this is CNN." - Richard Quest, 20 May 2016

#251 Jordy

Jordy

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:17 PM

I think the reason she would have said that is down to the lack of Asians in the media and definitely not for any other reason.

That's why I said I had no problem with her saying it, but like I said, if a white person had said it, there would have been hell to play.

#252 imjohndoeandthisiscnn

imjohndoeandthisiscnn

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:18 PM

That's why I said I had no problem with her saying it, but like I said, if a white person had said it, there would have been hell to play.

But there would be no reason for a white person to say it as there is not a lack of white people on TV - you just look up and they are there

"The news coverage continues. Around the world, around the clock, this is CNN." - Richard Quest, 20 May 2016

#253 Jordy

Jordy

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:25 PM

But there would be no reason for a white person to say it as there is not a lack of white people on TV - you just look up and they are there

Im not saying theres a lack of white people on TV!!! I'm not even disagreeing with what she's saying, but if a white person had said what she had, they would be accused of racism and favoring their own race. Just trying to highlight the double standards when it comes to race arguments.

#254 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:17 PM

Im not saying theres a lack of white people on TV!!! I'm not even disagreeing with what she's saying, but if a white person had said what she had, they would be accused of racism and favoring their own race. Just trying to highlight the double standards when it comes to race arguments.

It would sound racist because white people are already favored by society. Yes, without context, there is a double standard, but keep in mind the history of the U.S. Generally speaking, minorities have faced more barriers when it came to building careers for themselves. With that in mind, who was usually the party oppressing them?

I don't mean to sound bitter because I'm not, but there is a difference. As a minority myself, when you see one of your own race make it to a high position, you can't help but think about what they must have sacrificed to get there. It's the feeling of hope that "if they can do it, so can I."
NEW DAY, BLACK FRIDAY 2015

BERMAN: Have shoppers become hooked on their mobile devices to fill their needs?
PEREIRA: Guilty as charged!
BERMAN: Their shopping needs, I'm talking about. We'll break it down next.
PEREIRA: (gasps) What is wrong with you?!
BERMAN: I don't know!

#255 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:00 AM

Deleted

Edited by Carolina Argentina, 02 March 2016 - 06:07 AM.

#256 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:06 AM

I agree with AJJ.  And I'm sure Amara had to deal with people who felt that an Asian woman couldn't do the job. Plus, she may have faced resistance from her own family. I doubt many white males .had to deal with these issues.  So you naturally turn to those who've faced these issues for guidance.  

#257 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:10 AM

It's not racism.  

#258 imjohndoeandthisiscnn

imjohndoeandthisiscnn

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:20 PM

To clear up I meant a white person would have no need to say that as they are everywhere in the media.

#259 Jordy

Jordy

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:55 AM

Amara saying that it's a 'very busy SUNDAY'. They really don't understand it's meant to be for Asia Monday morning do they? The amount of times I have heard CNN Today say that or Good Evening or This Evening.

Probably one of the downfalls of not broadcasting in HK.

They soon dropped the 'Good Morning Asia' intro soon after launch. Shows they don't care.

Only News Stream and Connect The World caters for their regional audience properly.

Edited by Jordy, 11 April 2016 - 10:56 AM.

#260 imjohndoeandthisiscnn

imjohndoeandthisiscnn

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:27 PM

I think Michael often says 'good day' so it resonates with everyone, does he not?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users