MVJR4

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:39 AM

CNN_Philippines_logo.jpg

First on MNP: 9TV to rebrand as CNN Philippines

9TV, the low-rated network on free television, is putting some final touches on their upcoming rebranding as CNN Philippines, set for January 2015.

The partnership will see its news division, 9News, forming a solid union with CNN — where they can get instant access with the cable network's programming and original reporting.

CNNP, in return, will carry CNN's international news coverage and some of their current programming to non-cable Filipino viewers. They will also share their reporting to various CNN bureaus should there be a big coverage happening in the country. Interestingly, the launching coincides with Pope Francis' official visit next year.

Read more (NOTE: MNP is like the Filipino counterpart of TVNewser)

nk3oC4P.png "We need a hashtag... #UpholsteredBarStools?-Hala Gorani, 5/8/15

>CNN/U.S. Anchors/Schedule 2017 2016 2015 SOON: 2014

>HLN Anchors/Schedule 2017

>CNN Philippines Anchors/Schedule 2017

>CNN Philippines videos on my YouTube channel!

#2 MVJR4

MVJR4

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:19 AM

9TV is CNN Philippines

This is CNN's latest joint venture in Southeast Asia

9news_cnn_20141013_9_ADEFC39_E5144053_A5

MANILA, Philippines – Radio Philippines Network channel 9 (RPN9) has acquired international cable news channel CNN's brand. With the partnership, the 9TV network, formerly Solar News, will soon be rebranded into "CNN Philippines." This comes just months after Solar News was reformatted to 9TV.

Solar TV network Inc. and BusinessMirror president Benjamin Ramos announced this on Monday, October 13. "We confirm [the] report that 9TV will be rebranded as CNN Philippines," Ramos told reporters.

Media Newser Philippines, which first reported the development, said the partnership will see 9TV carry CNN's international news coverage and current programs to free TV. In return, 9TV will generate reports on the Philippines for CNN.

Read more

#3 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:20 AM

mvjr4/  Do you think this is a good move?  

#4 MVJR4

MVJR4

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:55 AM

^ I think so. Formerly, as Solar News Channel, everybody made it their alternative news channel from the other news networks here: ANC, AksyonTV, GMA News TV (BTW, the first two are both CNN affiliates). Currently as 9TV, based on what I've read since I don't really watch this channel that much, everybody suddenly hated the channel because a beautiful face matters more than the journalist person's credibility to be a journalist, and too much YouTube videos - again these are based on what I've read. For me, in order for this partnership to work, they should hire other journalists/reporters - the credible ones (it can be from other networks) - so they can have a strong roster of journalists.

Edited by MVJR4, 14 October 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#5 MVJR4

MVJR4

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:06 PM

CNN to Launch Local Service in Philippines from 2015

HONG KONG – A local version of 24-hour news channel CNN will launch in The Philippines from next year.

The new CNN Philippines channel and accompanying website are the result of a joint venture between Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific and Filipino company Nine Media Corporation.

CNN Philippines will operate from studio facilities in Manila and will replace 9TV on the RPN network nationwide.

The new channel will be predominantly in English and made available on free-to-air television, and cable and pay platforms. The CNN International channel will continue to be available to pay-TV viewers in the Philippines.

“The global newsgathering power of CNN combined with the local perspective Nine Media Corporation brings, enables us to provide first-class news and information to millions of Filipinos in a way that we have not been able to previously,” said Jeff Zucker, CNN Worldwide President in a prepared statement.

“We are proud to offer our viewers a global perspective of key issues and worldwide trending stories as well as championing Filipino values and culture through locally produced content,” said Reggie Galura, President of Nine Media Corporation.

CNN has its main Asia hub in Hong Kong. In the region it currently operates local channels CNN Indonesia, and CNN IBN in India. Elsewhere it offers CNN Turk, and CNN Chile.

From variety.com

===

It’s official: CNN Philippines to launch in 2015

Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific will be launching a local version of 24-hour news channel CNN starting next year via a partnership with Nine Media Corporation.

According to an official statement, the move will see the rebranding of 9TV, formerly Solar News Channel, to CNN Philippines which will operate from studio facilities in Manila.

Kayen Zialcita from Nine Media confirmed with Marketing that the CNN Philippines will be headed by Nine Media president Reggie Galura while its current affairs will be led by veteran journalist and former ABS-CBN news channel head Jing Magsaysay.

CNN Philippines will be primarily an English-language channel but will offer a mix of locally-produced and international programs, which include news, feature programming and documentaries. This means that all 9TV and 9News branded programs will be discontinued.

Working closely with its TV counterpart will be the dedicated website CNNPhilippines.com, in a bid to gain massive reach in the internet and mobile-savvy country. CNN Philippines and CNNPhilippines.com will officially launch first quarter in 2015.

Gerhard Zeiler, president of Turner Broadcasting International said: “This agreement is yet another example of Turner’s commitment to growth in the Asia Pacific region. We are thrilled to partner with Nine Media Corporation – a news organization that shares our vision, mission, and values – to serve this hugely important audience.”

Instead of keeping it a cable TV exclusive like CNN International, CNN Philippines is boosting its reach further by being available on free-to-air TV. 

Antonio Cabangon-Chua, chairman of Nine Media Corporation, said: “By integrating local elements and content in its programming, CNN Philippines brings together world-class local and international content for Filipino audiences.”

CNN Philippines is the latest addition to the news channel’s expanding network. It’s Asian operations is headquartered in Hong Kong and operates local channels CNN Indonesia and CNN IBN in India. Other localized channels are CNN Turk, and CNN Chile.

Read more at marketing-interactive.com

===

Logo:

Bz4_Qlm_ACQAAed_Wy_jpg_large.jpg

From Miguel R. Camus of Philippine Daily Inquirer

===

Interestingly, when you head to CNNPhilippines.com right now, it redirects you to edition.cnn.com.

Edited by MVJR4, 14 October 2014 - 12:10 PM.

#6 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:13 PM

^ I think so. Formerly, as Solar News Channel, everybody made it their alternative news channel from the other news networks here: ANC, AksyonTV, GMA News TV (BTW, the first two are both CNN affiliates). Currently as 9TV, based on what I've read since I don't really watch this channel that much, everybody suddenly hated the channel because a beautiful face matters more than the journalist person's credibility to be a journalist, and too much YouTube videos - again these are based on what I've read. For me, in order for this partnership to work, they should hire other journalists/reporters - the credible ones (it can be from other networks) - so they can have a strong roster of journalists.

Should these journalists be Filipino?  

#7 MVJR4

MVJR4

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:26 PM

^ They should be. It's CNN Philippines after all. :)

===

Let's play "Where's Andrew?":

Bz4_QAu_CIAEk_Ubh_jpg_large.jpg

From The Philippine Star

===

A picture of Andrew with Rod Nepomuceno, a lawyer and a TV host with 9TV, soon-to-be CNN Philippines:

Bz4qvh_DCEAAM54_M_jpg_large.jpg

From Rod Nepomuceno

===

Another with Jaime FlorCruz, CNN's Beijing bureau chief:

10725145_1489105418028252_2093974318_n.j

From Hershey Tugadi

===

Turner Broadcasting and Nine Media to launch CNN Philippines

MANILA – Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific and Nine Media Corporation are set to launch CNN Philippines in the first quarter of 2015, replacing news channel 9TV and further expanding CNN's reach in the region. The channel will be available on free-to-air and cable and pay television. 

Explaining the partnership, Nine Media president Reggie Galura said: "The new channel will be distinct in its look and feel from CNN international."

"CNN Philippines will have local content," he continued. "We will continue to produce our local newscast but tweaked to meet the standards of CNN. The arrangement is basically that CNN will provide technical expertise and consultancy so we can train our people so we can improve the on-air look and feel and most especially to elevate our news standards to that of CNN."

Nine Media News and Current Affairs senior vice-president Jing F. Magsaysay explained that the new channel will target "the median Filipino" in terms of socio-economic class, with audiences from the C1, C2, and D segment. 

Magsaysay shared that they will be keeping the current programs of 9TV, but are developing more. They will also be adding anchors to 9TV's line-up.

Telling reporters at a media event Tuesday, Magsaysay said that CNN Philippines is not looking to compete with already established local news outlets.

"We don't think in terms of competition, because if you think in terms of competition, you're going to be thinking about what the other guy is doing...we want to do what we think should be delivered to the Filipino consumer, news consumers, and we will aspire to do that," he said.

He also pointed out that content-wise, the channel is very different from the other news networks.

"By design we are very different from them. We don't have police reports, we don't have news about the lives of other people, artistas. [We have] news you can use. If you can't use it, then it's not important," Magsaysay said.

"The global news gathering power of CNN combined with the local perspective Nine Media Corporation brings, enables us to provide first-class news and information to millions of FIlipinos in a way that we have not been able to previously," said CNN Worldwide president Jeff Zucker. "I couldn't be happier to welcome CNN Philippines to the CNN family."

At the same time, Turner Broadcasting International president Gerhard Zeiler added, "This agreement is yet another example of Turner's commitment to growth in the Asia Pacific region. We are thrilled to partner with Nine Media Corporation – a news organization that shares our vision, mission, and values – to serve this hugely important audience."

With the launch of the new channel, Magsaysay shared that they are expanding their team and looking for talents.

"We're looking for people who aren't looking for jobs. We're looking for people who want to do this," he said. "People think 8 to 5. Journalism isn't 8 to 5. You eat, sleep, breathe journalism. It's really very basic. Journalism is a commitment."

Read more at adobomagazine.com

Edited by MVJR4, 14 October 2014 - 01:11 PM.

#8 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:19 PM

Good.  

#9 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:27 PM

I hope this works out.  The big gamble here is that it is on free-to-air TV, which not only defies the "C" in CNN (which stands for "cable" though it is acceptable to be in satellite and IPTV since they are pay TV outlets) but that free-to-air TV is intended for wider audiences.  The image of CNN outside the US is supposed to be an upscale news network and hence justifies why it is in the "pay TV" spectrum elsewhere.

Edited by headliner101, 14 October 2014 - 10:28 PM.

CNN - The worldwide leader in news
CNN/I - Go beyond borders

#10 MVJR4

MVJR4

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:11 AM

From 9news.ph

#11 theBlockerPH

theBlockerPH

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:41 PM

In my opinion, I wish they just go back to their old "clean" graphics, instead of those crap graphics they are using since they've releaunched as 9News.

#12 stellarboy

stellarboy

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:24 AM

I'd bet they will adopt the current graphics and music of CNN and CNNI, which is somehow decent as the previous incarnation during the Solar News Channel days.

Also they might do a programming overhaul as they currently show NBC's Today, NBC Nightly News, Inside Edition, CBS' 60 Minutes and some BBC-produced content, including Top Gear. They might have to ditch them in exchange with CNN programmes and other Turner-produced content as offered in the deal.

Edited by stellarboy, 21 October 2014 - 06:40 AM.

Going Beyond Borders in Setting the News Agenda at The World's Newsroom.

#13 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:49 AM

If CNN Indonesia's graphics package will be any indication (you can check videos on cnnindonesia.com), the most likely CNN PH will adopt CNN/I's graphics pack, though the former's font is still fairly basic.  Funnily enough, CNN/En Espanol and CNN Turk's graphics are quite different.

CNN - The worldwide leader in news
CNN/I - Go beyond borders

#14 theBlockerPH

theBlockerPH

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:24 PM

9TV is now using some CNN International reports, particularly Nick Paton Walsh's report on ISIS (or Da'esh) indoctrinating children...

#15 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:19 PM

9TV is now using some CNN International reports, particularly Nick Paton Walsh's report on ISIS (or Da'esh) indoctrinating children...

How do you know the word Da'esh.  You're the first person who doesn't live in an arabic speaking country who uses it.  From CNNi?

#16 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:21 PM

As I was typing this I hear the new UN Envoy to Syria call it Da'ish one time and then ISIS/Da'ish the second time.  

#17 theBlockerPH

theBlockerPH

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:51 AM

How do you know the word Da'esh.  You're the first person who doesn't live in an arabic speaking country who uses it.  From CNNi?

French started using the term, and I just adopted it.

CNN has used some of 9TV's resources for some reports of the First Anniversary of Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan)

http://instagram.com/p/vFmvzhn9Tu/

At the same time, 9TV's Pia Hontiveros also talked to Anderson Cooper.

https://www.facebook...705496296207946

#18 theBlockerPH

theBlockerPH

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:20 AM

It has been a while since there has been any official updates regarding CNN Philippines, aside from Job openings & hirings... but I believe their target launch is during Pope Francis' visit.

#19 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 01:53 PM

Aren't you clever!

DAESH is an acronym in Arabic and means roughly the same as ISIS.  It's also very close to a dirty word in Arabic, but no one here will explain to me what the dirty word is.  I live in a word totally free from swear words.  Except those I use.  

#20 theBlockerPH

theBlockerPH

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 09:27 AM

It's seems 9TV's newscasts are now being done on their green-screen studio, where they do their weekly shows... I assume that they are making changes on their main newsroom, in preparation for CNN Philippines. I hope that there will be some red, and not just blue like CNN Atlanta.

oMEHfZr.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users