46 replies to this topic

#21 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:06 AM

In the last few weeks, I've been shopping around between Zain & Don on CNN, Jonathan Charles on the BBC, Teymoor Nabili on Al Jazeera, and France 24. I'm very happy if I catch the lovely Judith Grimaldi. I don't know much about her other than that she's one of the original anchors and that she presents only on the French channel, but she's a joy to watch:

Posted Image
Here it is larger: http://farm3.static....2523d553f_b.jpg

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#22 sigma421

sigma421

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:22 PM

Good news for Andrea Sanke fans France 24 has had a bit of a schedule revamp. The revamp means that she will now be presenting 'Live From Paris' on the English feed between 7 and 9pm Paris time. The new programme includes the debate (which she used to present), news updates, business news and lighter features.
The good news however is that France 24 have solved a few of my major irks with them

1. They have reduced the amount of canned programming at least at peak (European) times. Now (at least) between 6 and 10am Paris time and 7pm and midnight everything is linked together by a host. The debate and the business news are also no longer introduced by seperate jingles.

2. The graphics have changed so the font looks less squashed (yayy!)

Edit: link about changes http://www.france24....atures-france24

#23 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:09 PM

That's good news. The programming changes will make the channel feel a little less choppy and will make it run more fluidly. Andrea is still on at a bad time for me, though that won't be the case next month. Still, I wish she was on the French channel, because that's the one I watch more.

The lower thirds haven't really changed aesthetically, but they're somewhat easier to read now. The Weather filler has changed, and the graphics aren't as pretty as the old style nor is the new music as good, but they can fit more cities into the map now (which means that my city is now shown!). I also noticed that they added a plasma to their newsroom set (or have I just not noticed that before?).

Some caps:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#24 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:51 AM

^^
It is good that they are making some changes in the presentation. I wish they would make some graphical changes and not just the running order. I like the fluidity of the news now. That set needs to change. I know they are a small channel and not as big like BBC,CNN,AL J so they don't have the money to do so.

#25 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:02 AM

The sets aren't bad for what the are. The graphics are pretty, but a bit impractical and clunky.

#26 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:24 AM

Good news for Andrea Sanke fans France 24 has had a bit of a schedule revamp. The revamp means that she will now be presenting 'Live From Paris' on the English feed between 7 and 9pm Paris time. The new programme includes the debate (which she used to present), news updates, business news and lighter features.

Thanks for the heads up sigma421 I never knew about Andrea's new slot but it's great she'll be doing lighter stuff along with the heavy Andrea always had a fantastic sense of humour.

The downside is that now Andrea will be on at the same time as Hala
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
"Do not adjust your set she really is that beautiful."
YWT 14th November 2006

#27 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:50 PM

I've been starting to watch a little more of this channel again. Some people complain that they have a bias towards France, but I watch the channel for a French perspective, so that doesn't really bother me (as long as it's a story that doesn't take the tone of "Isn't Sarkozy great"). I also really like the Culture and Les Arts de Vivre segments. It's a great channel for people learning French because of these segments, and also because the English and French channels basically run the same thing at the same time, so it's nice to watch an hour of the English channel, and then an hour of the French channel.

I also noticed that they put a plasma in their interview set. Not sure how I feel about that.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:07 PM

I must say France 24 without Andrea starts to look substandard, extraordinary how 1 person can make a news channel. The 1 who is able to fill the Andrea role Francois Picard is the only other top talent at the station now, not suprising that he looks to have gotten the gig.

They have been trying some of the news bulletin readers fronting the debates with embarrasing results Folly Bah Thibault was clearly out of her depth fronting a 40 minute debate.
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
YWT 14th November 2006

#29 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:29 AM

^^^

I never got a reply from my e-mail, so it's very likely she's left. If she's still with the channel, you'd think they would have e-mailed me right away.

I never really saw much of her on F24 anyway. I mostly watch the French version, and even if I was watching the English one, I only caught her a handful of times. I still like watching the channel, though. I think my French has improved as a result of me watching the French channel, and the Culture segments really help me understand the culture better.

As for Andrea, well, I'll keep an eye out for wherever she pops up. Maybe AJE could make room for her....

#30 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:50 PM

Terrible to see whats happening to France 24 english, sad to say it now looks a Micky Mouse News Channel, Francois Picard, Armand Georgian and Robert Parsons apart.
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
YWT 14th November 2006

#31 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:39 AM

France 24 has a new website:

http://www.france24.com/fr/

I prefer the old one personally. I like how the old one had a lot of color, much like the graphics on the channel. One thing I do like about the new website, though, is that it now seems to remember that I prefer the French version over the English version. The old site would always direct me to the English version.

#32 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:26 AM

I haven't watched the channel for a while, but I noticed today that they now have an opening sequence for their "morning" program. But why brand a set of hours as morning television when the channel is supposed to broadcast worldwide?

Posted Image

#33 cityprod

cityprod

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:25 PM

The English language version also has Morning Edition and Evening Edition brandings. Not sure why they would do this either, but my thoughts on this would probably be along the lines of not having much international exposure. I'll be checking that out soon.

#34 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:10 AM

This is a few weeks old, but apparently, they are now on Dish Network in the United States:

http://www.france24....nt_bastille_day

#35 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:43 PM

France 24: 'medieval court' where rivalry with the Saxons fades as chiefs slug it out.

Engulfed in rivalries and recriminations, the newsroom has been plunged into crisis, with one union threatening a strike and another planning a vote of no- confidence. Journalists mutter about a "battle of the bosses" fuelling dissent. One even likened the atmosphere to the Saint Bartholomew's Day massacre: vicious, unrelenting and very, very, bloody.

Since last week, when rumours of sackings and suspensions at the highest level of editorial started flying round the newsroom, tensions that had long been bubbling under the surface have burst forth in spectacular fashion.

At the heart of the latest troubles are the channel's two chiefs: Alain de Pouzilhac, the chief executive known to staff as "Poupou", and his second-in-command, Christine Ockrent, one of France's best-known journalists whose imperious persona and brusque leadership have earned her the nickname "the Queen".

Full story

#36 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:29 PM

This is a few weeks old, but apparently, they are now on Dish Network in the United States:

http://www.france24....nt_bastille_day

They are as part of the French package - an extra $20 a month for 5 or 6 French channels. I'm assuming it's the France 24 broadcast in French.
Still no international channels generally available on Dish.

#37 keyboard

keyboard

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

So France 24 in English is broadcast in the Atlanta market OTA.  who knew?

#38 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

M5sDZlf.png

HNE7RYU.png

Twu4jm5.png

R5AGRCx.png

MKncNAV.png

uGBzyCo.png

24ZvQu6.png

0oAKDXw.png

m5adFas.png

qiwSwKS.png

SpDqVMO.png

#39 Gman

Gman

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:00 AM

What's with all the Irish people on this channel?! Every time I switch to it, I hear an Irish accent. Some good but some woefully dreary from the old RTE school of reporting.

#40 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:51 PM

Just got home & turned on France 24 to see what's going on with the Paris Unity March.  The 2 experts I've seen have been a former US Attorney from NYC and a guy with an accent from the British Isles.  No French experts.  I guess CNN has taken all of the Frenc.h experts who speak English.   The next expert  might be be Irish.   

His last name is Kirtley, but I'm probably spelling it incorrectly. 

Pretty impressive march.  Over 2 millions throughout France  300K in Lyons.  Missed the bigwigs, but CNN will show them repeatedly tonight, I'm sure.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users